• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I can't believe that Sky filed an name infringement against MS with Skype! Complete bullshit that it worked against SkyDrive.

What can they possibly be infringing?

EDIT: Duh, I just noticed the word Sky is in Skype....that's fucking ridiculous.

Heretic

Tj9nkeP.png

Almost as salty as me.

LOL

dLMN8R

I unfollowed Tom Warren last year some time and couldn't remember why during BUILD, so I re-followed him.

Now he's reminded me why I originally unfollowed him.

Reminds me of the blowhards who spent months talking about how bad the name iPad was.

hadareud

The Translator
it is pretty dumb especially keeping a similar logo.

IE is used by a lot of people. A lot of them know that little blue e as "the internet". It makes perfect sense not to confuse them.

The name is fine. Who gives a shit, anyway. As if Chrome is modern and uncorporate.

It's moaning for the sake of moaning. Which, incidentally, gives me something to moan about. So it's not all bad.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
IE is used by a lot of people. A lot of them know that little blue e as "the internet". It makes perfect sense not to confuse them.

The name is fine. Who gives a shit, anyway. As if Chrome is modern and uncorporate.

It's moaning for the sake of moaning. Which, incidentally, gives me something to moan about. So it's not all bad.

Lol.

Yup. I liked Spartan too, but this is moaning for moanings sake.

stktt

Banned
Spartan was fine. Edge is also fine. It's not like Firefox, Chrome, or Internet Explorer are particularly good names, anyway. Make the internet look like the blue 'E' so less technologically inclined people know how to get to Google.

I just read that article and came to post about it. Not shocked to see people have already brought it up.

First thing I thought when he said about the name not being cool or exciting was Chrome. I mean, the names are the names. I don't think most people care. I switched to Chrome because it was the better product and not because it had a cool name -- which it doesn't. And that reasoning is why I switched again, primarily use IE Modern now, because my XPS has touch screen, so it's viable, and it doesn't cause the fan to kick in on the lightest of pages or grind to a halt under the load of a few gifs.

If Edge is good people will use it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
They should've kept spartan, and they should've burned the blue icon in fire. Lots of people will never give the browser a chance because of the logo. There is an aversion to it, it carries a legacy, even if it's not always fair.

Heretic

They should've kept spartan, and they should've burned the blue icon in fire. Lots of people will never give the browser a chance because of the logo. There is an aversion to it, it carries a legacy, even if it's not always fair.

feel the same as this ex-windows phoner.

Honestly, I'm not sure. There's a stigma to the blue e, yes, but is the number of people who hate that e on principle greater than the number of people who have no idea how else to get to the internet, and are going to raise a stink if it's not present?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Honestly, I'm not sure. There's a stigma to the blue e, yes, but is the number of people who hate that e on principle greater than the number of people who have no idea how else to get to the internet, and are going to raise a stink if it's not present?

Absolutely. It's 2015 dude. Plus, all it takes is one click on the new spartan icon, it's not like they'll forget after that how to get to the internet.

Absolutely. It's 2015 dude. Plus, all it takes is one click on the new spartan icon, it's not like they'll forget after that how to get to the internet.

You would be surprised.

Also, you're assuming they would click on the new Spartan icon. Most people, they don't see the button they're looking for, in the place they're looking for, they give up.

Then the complaining starts. IIRC, about half of the features people bitch about being removed in each new version of Office are still there, just in a different place. They never bother to familiarize themselves.

The new e is close enough to not bother them, but far enough off to signal to everybody else that it's its own thing. Especially since people using alternate browsers are probably more tech savvy than not.

Eh, people will get used to it.

I remember when the name "iPad" first came out and people were making tampon jokes. Now it's almost ubiquitous with the word "tablet".

I liked Cortana but Spartan wasn't a good name for a product. You're just communicating an absence of features. Sure, there are some people (like me, actually) that can appreciate a slimmed down browser without a lot of extraneous crap, but you should frame that as a positive (words that imply speed, sleek, streamlined) rather than negative (Spartan, barren, etc)

clav

I liked Cortana but Spartan wasn't a good name for a product. You're just communicating an absence of features. Sure, there are some people (like me, actually) that can appreciate a slimmed down browser without a lot of extraneous crap, but you should frame that as a positive (words that imply speed, sleek, streamlined) rather than negative (Spartan, barren, etc)

But Cortana needs a friend.

Lichter

He releases the 6discover files because his App is going to be deleted from the Store because of Snapchat.

So even when the app will be deleted from the store, WP users will be able to install 6discover (thanks to the release of this file).

Ape

Banned
He releases the 6discover files because his App is going to be deleted from the Store because of Snapchat.

So even when the app will be deleted from the store, WP users will be able to install 6discover (thanks to the release of this file).

Why wouldn't he just do that with the snapchat app

hankster

I don't understand why the 2 flagship phones have a different processor. Makes no sense.

Smaller phone will have smaller battery, so stepped down the processor a bit to keep the battery life comparable (and better than the smaller iPhone I bet).

hadareud

The Translator

I doubt many people have an aversion to a logo and those that do will not use a Microsoft browser no matter whether it's called Edge or Spartan or whether it has a blue e logo or something Halo related. They also won't use Cortana, btw.

I haven't used IE on a desktop for 15 years unless I really, really had to. I have no problem using modern IE at all, though. Because it is a good user experience, unlike desktop IE.

Smaller phone will have smaller battery, so stepped down the processor a bit to keep the battery life comparable (and better than the smaller iPhone I bet).

Yeah, I can see that, it makes sense. But I don't think they're doing the sales prospects of the smaller phone much good with that approach.

Lichter

Why wouldn't he just do that with the snapchat app

Snapchat blocks all of the 3rd party snapchat clients, means that we can't technically connect with 6snap. So it's useless.

But 6discover has just some copyright (or whatever) issues, we can still use the app.

NeOak

Still waiting for that Whatsapp call and video feature.

My mom is asking for it to talk to family that are all on Android and iOS devices >.>

PG2G

Its annoying af that Pocket Cast makes you pay for the web version. Pay $4 for an app whose primary benefit is cross platform synching and you cant even use the damn web version.

They better make a universal app.

Top Bottom