• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
It's been a month now since the last (major) preview build.

There was speculation that W10 for phones was around weeks behind the desktop version. If there isn't a new build with big improvements coming soon, I think it's safe to say that it's more than that and that an October release is more realistic.

hwalker84

There was speculation that W10 for phones was around weeks behind the desktop version. If there isn't a new build with big improvements coming soon, I think it's safe to say that it's more than that and that an October release is more realistic.

I think it's far behind W10. Get the feeling I wont have a new phone until November/December. But maybe MS will surprise us...
I have no faith

hadareud

The Translator
I think it's a fair bit behind for sure, tough November/December is too pessimistic imo. The 6 weeks were very probably too optimistic, I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle.

A month is, or at least can be, a long time in development. The next release should give us a fairly good idea of where they are.

Really, they need to get the new phones out by late September/early October if they are to have a decent impact for the end of the year. Since the HW should already be finished even now, what are the chances that we see a release in September with a "zero day" patch a la Xbox One being required?

clav

I think it's far behind W10. Get the feeling I wont have a new phone until November/December. But maybe MS will surprise us...
I have no faith

Things are looking more like no x86 phone and just hoping devs hop on board by recompiling their Android software for Windows Phones running on Qualcomm ARM.

I still don't know how this will solve a buy once, three screens vision that Microsoft wanted since Windows 8.

hadareud

The Translator
I really don't see the desire for an x86 phone. Is there currently even an x86 chip on the horizon that it would make sense to stick into a phone?

Strikes me as wishful thinking without taking reality into account.

NeOak

Since the HW should already be finished even now, what are the chances that we see a release in September with a "zero day" patch a la Xbox One being required?

Divide wherever number your thought by zero.

The carriers won't ever allow that.

hankster

Divide wherever number your thought by zero.

The carriers won't ever allow that.
And try as they might Microsoft is completely owned by and has zero power with the carriers.

Lumia 830

at&t and Microsoft - lying to customers since forever

Doffen

October 2016, right?

MCD

there is zero sense to wait for win10 hardware. buy whatever you want now then come back later till ms sort out their mess.

frontieruk

there is zero sense to wait for win10 hardware. buy whatever you want now then come back later till ms sort out their mess.

Except there's really sod all decent, new hardware is gimped by Qualcomm chips unless you go iPhone or buy last year's hardware.

AnkitT

From the lack of info so far about wp10 on phones so far, i'm going to keep with android for a while. With their previous track record on initial wp7 and wp8 releases, I rather agree with there being a "till ms sort out their mess" buffer period with their software.

Tomcat

A friend is searching for a cheap Lumia model.
435/532/535/635/625 are in consideration. I believe the 635 even with 512 Mb memory is the better one. Or should he go for a 1gb model? 535 with the screen problems would be risky. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

kharma45

A friend is searching for a cheap Lumia model.
435/532/535/635/625 are in consideration. I believe the 635 even with 512 Mb memory is the better one. Or should he go for a 1gb model? 535 with the screen problems would be risky. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

How cheap is cheap?

Lichter

My little cousin has a 635 and he can't stand the fact of having a 512mb RAM processor (he bought the phone just before the 535 was announced/released) plus no flash/front camera.

Magni

My little cousin has a 635 and he can't stand the fact of having a 512mb RAM processor (he bought the phone just before the 535 was announced/released) plus no flash/front camera.

He can't stand having 512MB of RAM you mean, RAM and the processor (also known as the CPU) are two separate components :)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Does the 635 with 1GB of RAM exist in the US yet? Might be my next podcast/audiobook delivery system.

EDIT: 100 bucks from Boost Mobile. Maybe in a year or so when its closer to 50.

joshschw

Microsoft needs to give me a way to disable face detect focus in Lumia Cam.... It ruins far more pictures than any benefits it gives.

Was just detecting something in kitchen in the background as a "face" and gives me no way to override it as far as I know? All pics useless.

JaggedSac

Microsoft needs to give me a way to disable face detect focus in Lumia Cam.... It ruins far more pictures than any benefits it gives.

Was just detecting something in kitchen in the background as a "face" and gives me no way to override it as far as I know? All pics useless.

Tapping on the screen doesn't override it? What about slightly pressing hardware camera button?

joshschw

Tapping on the screen doesn't override it? What about slightly pressing hardware camera button?

pressing camera button just focus on whatever it is detecting as a face, and tapping sure wasn't working! I've had it act funky here and there before, but this was literally not letting me take a photo of what I wanted.

Hyperlapse app available now for WP, Windows, and Android.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/hyperlapseapps/
Damn, it won't download on my Icon. Says it's not supported, even though the 930 is.

Speaking about the Icon, has any Icon owner had issues with responsiveness? If I leave my Icon alone for a long while, like say overnight, when I get back to it, it starts to become non-responsive. It takes a reboot to get it working again. I just got a replacement phone from Verizon and the new one is doing it to, though to a lesser degree. Is it my charger? Can it be something in the software, as I used a backup of the old phone on this new one? That is the only two things I can think of. I really love this phone and don't want to get another one. But if I'm still having problems like this, and don't find a solution, I'm gonna have to leave this phone behind

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Did anyone installed mew build? I only have 1 device 1520. Waiting for a stable build to use it on daily bases.

Prez

Is it worth installing Windows 10 on my 630 already? As long as calling, music and internet works fine there shouldn't be any issues for me.

If so, how do install it? I'm in Belgium but my phone is set to US, should I change it to the correct region first?

Zeknurn

Actually I wouldn't mind having one thread for all Windows 10 variants. It'd mostly be us WP junkies, but it would be more inclusive.

Windows 10 |OT| One Windows, One Community, One Brotkasten

I can't wait for the fights between the Mobile and IoT guys.

Top Bottom