• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

I just installed windows 10 on my icon and now I cant do anything. It just says loading when ever I try to get to the home scree. I have reset my phone twice but that didnt do anything, am I just fucked?

frontieruk

Did anyone installed mew build? I only have 1 device 1520. Waiting for a stable build to use it on daily bases.

Got it on my 635, new store is ok, excel runs nicely, but I can't say how stable it is in daily use. Outlook has an issue with accounts at the moment so what I was intending to use it for I can't.

hadareud

The Translator
The new music app seems good, also like the new start screen with smaller borders. Seems to run a bit quicker than the last build and there's a lot of new animations and shit. UI wise it's moving in the right direction now I think, but there's still a lot of inconsistencies and weird shit. The scaling of text is also off.

It's still rough and buggy. There's no way this is out before autumn. I also dislike Project Spartan's UI quite a bit with its weird big bar at the bottom.

Still, starting to look a lot more promising compared to the last build.

edit: the cursor showing up when pressing search or back is fucking creepy and disconcerting, btw

Lichter

The L1520 keyboard is on point now.

+ new gestures I think (you can switch to other regional keyboard by swiping left/right on the space bar)

frontieruk

The new music app seems good, also like the new start screen with smaller borders. Seems to run a bit quicker than the last build and there's a lot of new animations and shit. UI wise it's moving in the right direction now I think, but there's still a lot of inconsistencies and weird shit. The scaling of text is also off.

It's still rough and buggy. There's no way this is out before autumn. I also dislike Project Spartan's UI quite a bit with its weird big bar at the bottom.

Still, starting to look a lot more promising compared to the last build.

edit: the cursor showing up when pressing search or back is fucking creepy and disconcerting, btw

I don't like you can't reply on GAF from Spartan on the 630 as the keyboard covers the text input area

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, everything about the mobile Spartan is off so far. It's also really slow.

edit: Having played with it for a few hours now, the performance of this builds is a lot better than the last one for me. It's much quicker.

Razdek

Banned
I just installed windows 10 on my icon and now I cant do anything. It just says loading when ever I try to get to the home scree. I have reset my phone twice but that didnt do anything, am I just fucked?

Did you do a restore from a backup? If so try starting from scratch. This build messed up the resolution on the home screen and now everything is blurry. What a shitty build.

NeOak

I appreciate the sacrifices by the stupid brave members of WPGaf to test the new W10 release on their devices so the rest of us can know if its worth installing or not.

Damn, are you guys really installing the preview build?

No way I could do that. I've only got the one phone, what am I supposed to do if it bricks it or something and I need to call 911?

Razdek

Banned
Damn, are you guys really installing the preview build?

No way I could do that. I've only got the one phone, what am I supposed to do if it bricks it or something and I need to call 911?

Well that's why you install it on a spare phone. A Nexus 5 is my main phone so this Lumia 830 is a play toy.

joshschw

Now, but core functionality (like both web browsers and even accessing the damn start screen) is wildly unreliable and crashy.

Try hard reset if you want before a restore back to 8.1? Not that I know what performance is like in the new build, but worth a shot probably. I know some people use the previews on daily drivers. I think they're crazy based on my 520 impressions of it.

scently

Try hard reset if you want before a restore back to 8.1? Not that I know what performance is like in the new build, but worth a shot probably. I know some people use the previews on daily drivers. I think they're crazy based on my 520 impressions of it.

How do you perform a hard reset?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Can't seem to sign into Xbox Music in the preview app.

The new Xbox app is nice.

Edit: Seems like there are other Xbox live issues at the moment.

Not enough storage space on the 635 to update, okay fine I'll delete the little amount of music I put on this thing, it appears the only way I can delete music from the phone without using the sync app is to delete individual songs.

lol great

hwalker84

Not enough storage space on the 635 to update, okay fine I'll delete the little amount of music I put on this thing, it appears the only way I can delete music from the phone without using the sync app is to delete individual songs.

lol great

What about the file explorer app?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Ya installing this on my daily 1520 did cross my mind today. But nope, not doing it. Looks like not worth it yet.

Installing WP10 on your daily driver is asking for trouble.

I regret it so much. If my daughter wasnt teething I would have been late for work today. For some reason my phone decided to randomly turn off last night, and so I had no alarm this morning. Man I hope they get this more stable soon.

Heretic

I uninstalled the Outlook app from the latest build thinking I could reinstall it from the Store but I can't find it :'(

Am I fucked???

NeOak

I uninstalled the Outlook app from the latest build thinking I could reinstall it from the Store but I can't find it :'(

Am I fucked???
fb0.jpg

joshschw

Played around with it on my 520 a bit. This 10080 build - while far from useable as a daily driver - is quite a bit improved in terms of speed and responsiveness.

good example being that while universal apps still take a very long to load up, once they load up now they are mostly useable, whereas before they took ages to load and then once loaded they barely responded.

Razdek

Banned
Is it too early to complain about the new tile spacing on the start screen?

Cause it's bad.

New music app is a welcome improvement.

The app still has issues. You can't sync or download songs unless you have the app open as it doesn't do it in the background. I downloaded a playlist and it would stop downloading songs and I'd have to switch apps and come back to it for it to resume. I still saw the dreaded resuming screen when unlocking the phone to the app.

n64coder

I just saw on twitter that the 640 is now available on cricket wireless. The price is $129. I would like the XL but that is listed as coming soon. It's interesting that it's listed as 3.5G, not LTE like the 640.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That preview build was somehow only allowing me 3-4 hours of battery life. Thank goodness for the Windows Phone Recovery Tool.

Ah, so the preview build is like the release build that Google unleashed on the world with 5.01, except that most people didn't opt in, they just received an update that destroyed battery life and performance. /nonsequitir

Really upset with my ATT 830. Lack of full denim and Lumia Camera 5 are just the beginning. Xbox Music all is slow and sluggish, Netflix app doesn't work, and I have occasional Bluetooth issues that cause my phone to restart.

I need that denim and update 2.

Top Bottom