• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

GTI Guy

Really upset with my ATT 830. Lack of full denim and Lumia Camera 5 are just the beginning. Xbox Music all is slow and sluggish, Netflix app doesn't work, and I have occasional Bluetooth issues that cause my phone to restart.

I need that denim and update 2.

I need full Denim on my 830 too!

Magni

I need full Denim on my 830 too!

Denim fixed the WiFi and camera issues on my 830, but the Bluetooth issues are driving me crazy now that I got a Pebble through work. Update 2 supposedly fixes these issues (from comments on the Pebble forums), but it's taking forever to come.

Jeez, if MS had a way to let people "opt in" to updates as soon as MS had them ready, I'd cream myself. Waiting on Verizon is agonizing.

Even if it's just through something like the Developer Preview system.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The Audible app is fairly janky on the Windows Phone but it does have one neat feature. If you take out your headphones it stops (no big deal, all of the other music/podcast apps do this by default) but if you put them back in within five minutes or so it unpauses, something most of the other programs I've used don't do.

Totakeke

The Audible app is fairly janky on the Windows Phone but it does have one neat feature. If you take out your headphones it stops (no big deal, all of the other music/podcast apps do this by default) but if you put them back in within five minutes or so it unpauses, something most of the other programs I've used don't do.

You mean five seconds? Five minutes would be a terrible feature. :p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You mean five seconds? Five minutes would be a terrible feature. :p

No, it's enough time to run into a store and get some things and head back. It's less then ten.

Your books stay paused, mind you, it just reconnects and unpauses automatically when you reinsert the jack, just like it automatically pauses your content when you take the jack out.

Totakeke

No, it's enough time to run into a store and get some things and head back. It's less then ten.

Your books stay paused, mind you, it just reconnects and unpauses automatically when you reinsert the jack, just like it automatically pauses your content when you take the jack out.

Oh, I misread. I thought you meant it resumes after five minutes.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Dropped my 830 on the road yesterday. Hit every corner and it came out like a champ with just small chips/scuffs out of the corners.

Not unless you got it through the DP.

Actually, I think it was obtained for just a few models through Windows Insider as a first update before the Windows 10 preview. I know I didn't get it when I experimented with that on my 820, so I wouldn't risk it unless you were sure your phone will get that first.

Actually, I think it was obtained for just a few models through Windows Insider as a first update before the Windows 10 preview. I know I didn't get it when I experimented with that on my 820, so I wouldn't risk it unless you were sure your phone will get that first.

DP has it?

I haven't received it.

It was available through it for a few days as part of the upgrade path to W10.
Sure enough. I took my mum's old 820 and put the developer preview on and it completed two updates. First GDR2 with the aforementioned changes. Then on to the 10 preview.

10 preview is still horrible. Also, the 820 screen is so piss poor it's staggering. To think MS are still putting phones out with that resolution is unreal.

Prez

José Mourinho;164269910 said:
My mother just got a 640. Anybody know why she has the "All apps" text and her settings are grouped whilst my 930 is not?

I got that update just a few days ago through the Windows Insider app but I didn't update to the Windows 10 preview. Glad I didn't after reading all the comments here.

NeOak

José Mourinho;164292362 said:
Sure enough. I took my mum's old 820 and put the developer preview on and it completed two updates. First GDR2 with the aforementioned changes. Then on to the 10 preview.

10 preview is still horrible. Also, the 820 screen is so piss poor it's staggering. To think MS are still putting phones out with that resolution is unreal.

Gonna try to get it like this on my 1520. I'm not installing W10 yet.

Edit: Welp, got W10 Fast instead.

Shieeeeet. -.-

NeOak

LOL i can't even get the W10 home screen. It's stuck on "Loading..."

Back to 8.1 and disabling the Windows Insider app.

Edit: I also hope I can remove that "Mobile Hotspot" button from the notification area. If i ever enable it, AT&T will nuke my unlimited data >.>

Paganmoon

How much does some light web browsing drain your phones usually?

I usually browse abit when on the train and some light browsing (no picture heavy site) on and off, for about an hour (maybe 20 minutes of active browsing) drains my battery 25% easily.

On a 1020, and usually just use my 4G connection, wifi is turned off.

What's your experience with this (and what phone do you use?)

Edit: On 8.1 "denim" btw.

Ade

I find on my 1020 that IE kills my battery faster than anything, almost 1% per minute of browsing.

If I dont touch IE my phone can go 2 days between charges, slightest browsing and its dead in a day easily.

LOL i can't even get the W10 home screen. It's stuck on "Loading..."

Back to 8.1 and disabling the Windows Insider app.

Edit: I also hope I can remove that "Mobile Hotspot" button from the notification area. If i ever enable it, AT&T will nuke my unlimited data >.>

I had to roll back to 8.1. Not being able to get to the homescreen was a real killer for me.

These devs are awesome, please support.

XGbXWDO.jpg

A hard reset fixed that on my 925.

Really? I reset my phone multiple times. The weird thing was it would come and go, some times I could get to the home screen but other times it would just load or resume forever. I hope they get a new build out soon, since I loved it when it did work.

Really? I reset my phone multiple times. The weird thing was it would come and go, some times I could get to the home screen but other times it would just load or resume forever. I hope they get a new build out soon, since I loved it when it did work.

Not a soft reset mind you, that did nothing.

I've often seen perf increases during pre-release builds by doing the 'reset my phone' from settings->about

I did the one where you hold volume down and power, is that a soft or a hard reset? Maybe I need to reupgrade and try again.

That's a soft one, TBH I don't know how that differs from a regular reboot. The hard reset is accessible via settings (which was the only screen I could access at that time)

clav

Supposedly Intel's move to mobile chipsets hasn't performed well on Android.

I don't see Microsoft unveiling a x86 smartphone any time soon after knowing that.

Maybe in a few years if Windows Phone is still around.

Top Bottom