• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

I don't like apps. I only have a few installed (mostly first or second party stuff), and I have no interest in more.

The two third party things I would like are unavailable on my phone (Sonos and banking), so maybe I'm just bitter, but still I can't for the life of me imagine why someone (adults) would need the "chat app of the week" while i.e. Skype has been there for ages, and have the availablity of said app decide the brand of phone or OS.

Nero3000

Its not going to take off.

It might improve, but never take off in the way ios or android has.

But I'm ok with that, as long as Microsoft and some other 3rd party vendors produce some compelling software across phone, pc and xbox.

I don't need a 100 podcast apps, just one that works well.

maeh2k

Ask the developers again when Windows 10 has one billion users and if the store takes off. Because right now nothing has changed yet.

Microsoft's idea of having a billion users within 2-3 years is nothing but wishful thinking. Windows 8/8.1 has been out for close to three years and it doesn't even have half of that.
In addition, businesses are probably not going to use a ton of apps and consumers haven't really taken to apps on the desktop, either.

hadareud

The Translator
Windows 8 is also not a free upgrade and it wasn't taken up by the enterprise, at all.

Windows 10 will be on a lot more devices than Windows 8 pretty much by default, without them having to even push it. If it's positively received to at least some degree and if they can convince business to upgrade to some degree, a billion users in a year or so is not even an ambitious number.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Microsoft's idea of having a billion users within 2-3 years is nothing but wishful thinking. Windows 8/8.1 has been out for close to three years and it doesn't even have half of that.
In addition, businesses are probably not going to use a ton of apps and consumers haven't really taken to apps on the desktop, either.

And windows 8 and 8.1 are terrible and 10 is not. It will bring everyone still on 7 (most tech people I know) over for free. So yea, its not wishful thinking.

And windows 8 and 8.1 are terrible and 10 is not. It will bring everyone still on 7 (most tech people I know) over for free. So yea, its not wishful thinking.

Indeed.

Anyone on 8 and more specifically 7 will definitely upgrade to 10 as it's free and based on my own use and others, it is shaping up very nicely.

JaggedSac

Only apps that I feel left out with is BoA and SNL. Only thing I used the BoA app for was check deposits and that was only once in a blue moon. Everything else I do works fine in browser. SNL I would like only because Hulu doesn't have all seasons for some damn reason. Seasons 6 through like Season 30 are not there. To be honest the 635 I am using provides pretty much all I need for a phone except for a decent camera. Not even sure why I am waiting for a flagship device at this point.

CaptainABAB

Indeed.

Anyone on 8 and more specifically 7 will definitely upgrade to 10 as it's free and based on my own use and others, it is shaping up very nicely.

But the majority of that will be traditional laptop users with some tablets in the mix. Will that really result in an influx of universal mobile/phone apps?

I have been using Win8/8.1 on my laptop since it came out and I can't remember the last Metro app I have used. If anything, I will just use the website for Facebook, Twitter and similar. Maybe because I got a bad first impression with Metro apps in terms of usability, performance and having to be full screen. Win10 at least seems to be better when it comes to Metro apps.

On the other hand, I love using my WP apps. And strangely, I think WP has a better store than Win8.1, even with much lower sales.

If 99% of the user base for a mobile app are on iOS/Android, what does a startup gain by releasing a universal app, even if there are one billion Win10 users? I don't think they care about laptop/tablet users - they want to be on the device that is carried everywhere. Or they just direct tablet/laptop users to the website version.

hadareud

The Translator
It will be predominantly desktop and laptop users, for sure.

I wouldn't expect universal app use to explode as such, but I do think that the take-up will increase significantly because of the simple fact that universal apps run like traditional x86 programs in Windows 10 (windowed and on the desktop rather than full screen and separate from it).

So if you have a much larger install base with more users actually making use of apps, the effect is that you can reach a lot more people with your apps than is currently the case. I think that will be the case for mobile games in particular.

Microsofts hope has to be that while Windows will never be Android or iOS when it comes to simple apps, its massive install base will make it a viable platform, especially if and when it is very straightforward to port your existing apps to it. I think that's a realistic hope.

Klocker

No surprise here. Good luck with that new Universally Ignored app model.
Windows 10 will basically be a slightly nicer Windows 7 with some tiles people hate.

To be fair, they also said they have not seen the tools yet. If MS releases tools that actually make it as easy as it seems the only thing stopping devs would be asinine stubbornness

Windows 10 Insider Preview decided that my phone should be subject to an infinite loading loop on installation.

Aww. And I was hoping to try it out.

Back to 8.1.1 for me...

José Mourinho;164588556 said:
I have it on a second phone and it's horrible. Trust me, you don't want it.

I TRIED TO WARN YOU

Should always approach the same way for desktop builds, too.

Don't know why people keep thinking beta software is always better.

Probably because Windows Phone tended to be...a bit behind on features?

Good thing I synced my phone right before the reset and also made a complete OneDrive backup for settings and apps, so I'm mostly restored. To me, it's as if Windows 10 never happened...

All WP builds before W10 have been very serviceable. I've always used them in the past.

W10 Mobile builds however have been terrible. A few minutes of testing and I shut down my test phone and wait for the next build.

All WP builds before W10 have been very serviceable. I've always used them in the past.

W10 Mobile builds however have been terrible. A few minutes of testing and I shut down my test phone and wait for the next build.

I have a feeling that the final release would be a different beast

No one believes in Norway :( But it would be cool if Australia hosted next time.

This will not happen, as Australia is supposed to only participate this year. It would also be hella expensive to ship off all of Eurovision to the other side of the world I guess. And then it will air Saturday morning?

I just don't think it will happen.

Prez

I need some help. I installed Windows Insider and got a warning that a new update is available (the Windows 10 preview that is). I decided not to install this because of the impressions I've read. However I keep getting bothered every day with the notification that a new update is available. Any way to get rid of that? I've already removed the Windows Insider app but that didn't solve it.

dLMN8R

I need some help. I installed Windows Insider and got a warning that a new update is available (the Windows 10 preview that is). I decided not to install this because of the impressions I've read. However I keep getting bothered every day with the notification that a new update is available. Any way to get rid of that? I've already removed the Windows Insider app but that didn't solve it.

You'll need to uninstall the KB article you installed.....

search for "installed updates", and then find the KB article you installed which enabled the insider program to work.

Prez

You'll need to uninstall the KB article you installed.....

search for "installed updates", and then find the KB article you installed which enabled the insider program to work.

Where do I search for "installed updates". Can't find it anywhere. My phone language is Dutch, but I searched in Dutch as well.

Totakeke

Anyone in US know what GSM-compatible prepaid phone plans that enables internet sharing on Windows Phone? None of the ones I've tried actually allows it.

So I wanted to give windows phone 10 another chance after reading about how to do a hard reset, and that helping some people, only now I cant figure out how to reinstall 10. When my phone searches for updates now it says that it is up to date. Anyone have any ideas?

So I wanted to give windows phone 10 another chance after reading about how to do a hard reset, and that helping some people, only now I cant figure out how to reinstall 10. When my phone searches for updates now it says that it is up to date. Anyone have any ideas?

Did you re-enlist in the windows insider program on the phone?

You'll need to do it again if you hard-reset.

neat, i'll try this today.

Heads up: If any of you like Counterstrike, Microsoft has a team (of which I am a member) playing in the AHGL finals on may 30th. Warowl will be casting

clav

Did you re-enlist in the windows insider program on the phone?

You'll need to do it again if you hard-reset.

neat, i'll try this today.

Heads up: If any of you like Counterstrike, Microsoft has a team (of which I am a member) playing in the AHGL finals on may 30th. Warowl will be casting
Didn't know AHGL expanded that far from Starcraft.

Thanks.

Are you participating?

Heretic

This latest build is hot doodoo. Performance is fine but all of my apps crash on loading and the new email app won't pick up my accounts.

This is on my daily driver too! Love the punishment!

f0lken

I wish I could have WP on my Note 4 T_T I hate how much android demands your atention, btw is there a camera app for android that mimics the UI on Lumia camera?? I hate every other camera app :/

Top Bottom