• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

maeh2k

Have any of you worked with Xamarin? Or do you know any apps built with it?

I'm wondering if it makes sense for a mid-size retailer to use Xamarin instead of having separate iOS and Android apps.

CaptainABAB

Have any of you worked with Xamarin? Or do you know any apps built with it?

I'm wondering if it makes sense for a mid-size retailer to use Xamarin instead of having separate iOS and Android apps.

If the mid-size retailer is a C#/.NET shop, then I would strongly consider it.

In that case, the question becomes whether you want to use Xamarin.Forms to make generic cross-platform apps or use Xamarin.iOS/Xamarin.Android to make apps that take advantage of each platform's capabilities (APIs, UI, etc.)

Bessy67

Is Cricket Wireless decent? I'm thinking of going to their basic plan and getting the Lumia 640, but how is the service? I used to hear some not so great things about them but didn't they recently switch to a bigger carrier's network?

NeOak

Is Cricket Wireless decent? I'm thinking of going to their basic plan and getting the Lumia 640, but how is the service? I used to hear some not so great things about them but didn't they recently switch to a bigger carrier's network?

They are owned by AT&T now and merged with Aio. So you're using the AT&T network, just with a 8 Mbits cap for LTE and 4 Mbits for HSPA.

clav

Rebranded AT&T. Before AT&T bought them, Cricket used to sell CDMA phones in small rural areas.

Basically if AT&T service is great in your area, then go ahead and make the switch.

Another AT&T alternative is Straight Talk.

Bessy67

They are owned by AT&T now and merged with Aio. So you're using the AT&T network, just with a 8 Mbits cap for LTE and 4 Mbits for HSPA.

Rebranded AT&T. Before AT&T bought them, it used to sell CDMA phones in small rural areas.

Basically if AT&T service is great in your area, then go ahead and make the switch.

Another AT&T alternative is Straight Talk.
Cool, I'm currently on AT&T and I get pretty good service but I just want to ditch the contract. I was looking at Straight Talk as well but they don't show the Lumia 640. Can I just buy the Cricket version of the phone and use it with Straight Talk? Sorry if these are basic questions, this will be my first smartphone so I'm not very knowledgeable about these things.

NeOak

Cool, I'm currently on AT&T and I get pretty good service but I just want to ditch the contract. I was looking at Straight Talk as well but they don't show the Lumia 640. Can I just buy the Cricket version of the phone and use it with Straight Talk? Sorry if these are basic questions, this will be my first smartphone so I'm not very knowledgeable about these things.

I would just go with Cricket to be honest if it is your first smartphone.

clav

I don't know.

Cricket does unlock the phone after using their services for 6 months: https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/apps-and-services/device-unlock/customer/device-unlock.html

You could first go to Cricket and then switch to Straight Talk later since there are actually support stores for Cricket.

n64coder

You could search/post in Howard forums as there is a sub forum focused on Straight Talk. I know with Cricket you can use any ATT phone locked or unlocked.

If they do that it won't be because of the handsets (even if it is a good extra), but for BES and their multiple patents. Concerning QNX, I don't know if they are interested in that, even if it is present in plenty of industrial applications and automotive systems are transitioning to it. Maybe they'll sell it or spin it off.

But compared to the gigantic splurge of $55 billion they offered for Salesforce, $7 billion doesn't seem as a lot.

hadareud

The Translator
Bm6SBxY.png

Well that's a bloody shame.

Let's hope to fuck it won't stop him from writing and whinging about the platform, though. Because that would be an absolute tragedy.

PG2G

Probably pointless. You can't beat the default. Especially when it's better integrated into the platform.

Its useful for people that use multiple ecosystems, which will be a lot more people once W10 comes out.

It doesn't make sense for a person to use three different assistants, especially as these things get more and more capable.

hadareud

The Translator
Its useful for people that use multiple ecosystems, which will be a lot more people once W10 comes out.

Yeah, I would think that's the point. If you are using Cortana on your PC or laptop, having an extension of it on your phone would be pretty useful. For those that want to get more out of it, they can always buy a Windows Phone. Hilarious, I know.

Doffen

Bm6SBxY.png

Well that's a bloody shame.

Let's hope to fuck it won't stop him from writing and whinging about the platform, though. Because that would be an absolute tragedy.

He's got a good point though. Will Windows Phone have any selling points at the end?

Seller: You got to have Windows Phone because it's super easy to port Android apps!
Customer: But I'm not a developer.
Seller: Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I would use Cortana over Google Now all day, every day. Honestly, though, I'd just prefer to be back on windows phone. Android has been a poor experience for me, but damn I need these apps. Maybe if apple doubles the ram and improves the camera on the iPhone, I may go back to that.

hwalker84

I would use Cortana over Google Now all day, every day. Honestly, though, I'd just prefer to be back on windows phone. Android has been a poor experience for me, but damn I need these apps. Maybe if apple doubles the ram and improves the camera on the iPhone, I may go back to that.
Van I predict we'll both be on iOS by the end of this year.

If Cortana on Android could deal with texts the way it does on WP8.1, I would be happy as hell. I'd throw this LG G Watch into Lake Ontario and kill Google Now once and for all.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
is google now really not that good? I remember one of my good CMU/MS buddies evangelizing it a year ago.
it does voice recognition really well but the assistant stuff i find cortana better at. mainly because you can tell cortana what to do, google now tries to learn your habits.

hadareud

The Translator
He's got a good point though. Will Windows Phone have any selling points at the end?

Seller: You got to have Windows Phone because it's super easy to port Android apps!
Customer: But I'm not a developer.
Seller: Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers!

I don't know that something that no-one ever got to use unless they already own a Windows Phone is really a selling tool. That is to say, I doubt that there's very many people got a Windows Phone because they heard of Cortana.

On the other hand, if people start to use it on Windows 10 there's a decent chance they'll want to use it on their mobile device, too.

It won't push Windows Phone sales, but it will push use of the tool.

That it works best on WP because of its deep integration is a bonus for those that have a Windows Phone.

What will push sales on WP is hardware and an improved ecosystem first and foremost and if people are using more Microsoft services that they actually like their resistance to swap platforms may become a bit smaller, too.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
is google now really not that good? I remember one of my good CMU/MS buddies evangelizing it a year ago.

it does voice recognition really well but the assistant stuff i find cortana better at. mainly because you can tell cortana what to do, google now tries to learn your habits.

Exactly, plus don't discount the whole personality thing. For some reason, that makes it a lot more likely that I'll think of using it. Google now is more passive. The main use for me is notifications on my watch.

clav

Day 1.

Now if Apple could get iMessage multiplatform.

Exactly, plus don't discount the whole personality thing. For some reason, that makes it a lot more likely that I'll think of using it. Google now is more passive. The main use for me is notifications on my watch.

Cortana on everything seems like a response for Google's pending announcement for better integration on Windows PCs.

thanks for the replies! That puts our previous conversation in better context. I'd badger him to go grab a WP from someone, but he left to do a hardware startup. ....

clav

I watched a review of the Lumia 640.

That camera flash feature is amazing. Takes a picture once with flash and another without flash. Prompts the user to choose which photo to save.

MCD

pc companion app that works on all platforms (though redundant on WP as the video showed) and Cortana.

Just need Edge on Android and iOS and we have zero reasons to stay with WP.

joking asides, I'm not mad. in fact, I wanted them to port Cortana ASAP because that's the only way to improve a digital assistant. But looking at Bing, it is still Beta in countries not named US and UK so...

Okay, I still have Microsoft Account credit and it sucks so much I can't split a purchase between that and a different payment method.

So, any recommendations for apps or games of 2,47 (euro) or cheaper? Sucks that I just don't have enough for Chronos Calender+, but maybe people have some recommendations. Already got Podcast Lounge and Nextgen Reader.

giga

Just need pivots on iOS and there's no reason to stay on WP. Pivots are the one remaining exclusive feature that MS is thankfully using to differentiate themselves.

clav

WP start screen is miles ahead of ios (imo, biased of course).

And I still hate their notification center

Any word on a flagship?

Been thinking reasons why not to upgrade to a LG G4. One is no fingerprint sensor, which will definitely be on this year's Nexus, which will share similar hardware.

Top Bottom