• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
Maybe they'll have a USB to HDMI connector or something and the throughput requires Type C.

Alternatively, but more likely, someone pulled that out of their arse.

Allegedly the 2 flagships will have USB Type C and a 1020 successor is in the works for 2016.

edit: from here http://www.windowscentral.com/micro...s-usb-typec?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

It doesn't surprise me that they would include Type C for the new flagships. It gives them the possibility of forgoing an HDMI out (Continuum) and selling accessories like Apple with the new MacBook. I completely expect the new Surface Pro with one or two of them, and any new high end phones to include it.

What I didn't expect is for them to make a successor for the 1020, as it is a niche market. Although 2016 is too late for me, any advancements in camera technology are appreciated.

I hope it'll work over miracast, otherwise I can't see myself using it.
I think they confirmed that back at Build.

MCD

1rIUpIV.jpg

MS better return to Japan hard with W10. The situation there is the same US carrier bullshit but if they want more Japanese games, then this must happen.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I wish I had gotten the 1020 successor this year, in definitely not going back to the platform this year, and if the platform doesn't bounce back, then I guess the 930 was my last WP.

MCD

I wish I had gotten the 1020 successor this year, in definitely not going back to the platform this year, and if the platform doesn't bounce back, then I guess the 930 was my last WP.

Grab a Win10 tablet to play with Win10 till the mobile team release an actual phone.

maeh2k

This is entirely off-topic, but OneNote's handling of languages is just infuriating. I have both English and German configured. How hard is it to figure out if I'm writing English or not? Even in the same fucking section it can't remember the language I've manually selected for corrections.

Was gifted a Bluetooth selfie stick. Box says compatible with most smartphones. My Lumia 830 cant even connect to a $10 device cuz it doesn't have Update 2 and full Denim.

Windows Phone, playing catch up since cut and paste.

Was gifted a Bluetooth selfie stick. Box says compatible with most smartphones. My Lumia 830 cant even connect to a $10 device cuz it doesn't have Update 2 and full Denim.

You're better off. I have an outstanding policy of beating Selfie Stick users with their sticks.

Tablo

Argh 1020 successor in 2016....
Now I don't know if I should just get something midrange to move up from my 920/635 or this year's flagships.
Not sure I can swing both within that time period... bleh

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Bruh, my CORPORATE selfie stick is cabled and it doesn't even work with my Lumia 920.

Argh 1020 successor in 2016....
Now I don't know if I should just get something midrange to move up from my 920/635 or this year's flagships.
Not sure I can swing both within that time period... bleh
Get a 830 for cheap. It's camera is serviceable, looks and feels premium, and has wireless charging.

maeh2k

Whenever Google has a keynote, I can but feel that they are just so far ahead of everyone else in virtually anything they do.

More than a billion users for Android, Chrome, Youtube, Search. And gmail is pretty close, too, at twice the size of outlook.com.
Microsoft will soon make Cortana available via an Android app? Google is injecting Google Now into every Android app. You just can't match that.
If I were a car manufacturer, I'd be very afraid of Google's car...

(and if I were the EU or the FCC, I'd keep a veeery close eye on them)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Whenever Google has a keynote, I can but feel that they are just so far ahead of everyone else in virtually anything they do.

More than a billion users for Android, Chrome, Youtube, Search. And gmail is pretty close, too, at twice the size of outlook.com.
Microsoft will soon make Cortana available via an Android app? Google is injecting Google Now into every Android app. You just can't match that.

I'd be very afraid of Google's car as well....but for different reasons.

JaggedSac

Sounds exciting.

GWX

Lol, anything of interest announced?

Some pretty cool stuff actually. Google Now is much more powerful, and Photos is very impressive, with unlimited storage and all. App flies on my iPhone, which is generally not the case with Google apps lol.

The speakers, however, are dread awful. I guess my bar is set too high: Apple WWDC keynotes. You just can't beat Hair Force One!

Barring the Google Now thing and any Apple surprises, it seems like Build will be the most interesting conference out of the three. So this year is going to be boring compared to the overhauls of the last releases.

Rafy

Hey guys, Microsoft is sending me the 640XL to review and I just wanted to see what the consensus on GAF was regarding this handset.

Tablo

Hey guys, Microsoft is sending me the 640XL to review and I just wanted to see what the consensus on GAF was regarding this handset.

Strongly considering it, if the price for the ATT model is reasonable considering the specs... Might be a good holdover until that rumored 1020 successor in 2016, not sure if I want to live out the summer with this measly 635, or my less battery efficient 920.

Top Bottom