• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

That was a quick iOS detour!

I tried installing some old Win10 build on it two weeks ago because I was hoping to deploy and self-host Astoria on it. Hoh boy. I couldn't even get through the lock screen after a week because the pin digits never showed up. 8.1 is so buttery smooth on the device, though. Once I'm back from Scotland Win10'll go back on there.

My daily annoyances just disappear when using WP. I'm glad I worked on a product I definitely like over the competition.

Whenever Google has a keynote, I can but feel that they are just so far ahead of everyone else in virtually anything they do.

More than a billion users for Android, Chrome, Youtube, Search. And gmail is pretty close, too, at twice the size of outlook.com.
Microsoft will soon make Cortana available via an Android app? Google is injecting Google Now into every Android app. You just can't match that.
If I were a car manufacturer, I'd be very afraid of Google's car...

(and if I were the EU or the FCC, I'd keep a veeery close eye on them)

EU is already jockin' 'em like 90's MS

n64coder

Anyone know what the plans are for the sale of 640 XL in the US? My daughter needs a phone soon and I would like to get this model.

Prez

Anyone know what the plans are for the sale of 640 XL in the US? My daughter needs a phone soon and I would like to get this model.

Teenager? I was first thinking why a Windows Phone, then I realized she'd waste much less time on apps and games so it's actually a great idea.

n64coder

Teenager? I was first thinking why a Windows Phone, then I realized she'd waste much less time on apps and games so it's actually a great idea.

I have two daughters. The oldest one is 15 and she has the 635 which she loves. It doesn't matter which phone she has because she'll find a way to waste time. She uses it a lot to read Reddit and play Wordament and some other games. My youngest is 12 and is ready for her first phone. I refuse to pay the Apple phone tax considering the possibility that they could lose the phone or break it.

It already happened once to my oldest where her friend dropped the phone and broke the screen. Fortunately I was able to replace the screen myself for around $25.

My youngest already has an iPad mini but she doesn't spend much time on Apps anymore. Just youtube, email, and browser.

Oh geez I just thought of a what if.

Imagine if the 940 and 940XL were carrier exclusive to ATT and Verizon but the phone you wanted was exclusive to the other carrier?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I'm ready to dump this note 4 and go back to the 930. How is the Microsoft band? Anyone here use it?

I like mine a fair bit, little on the bulky side but you get used to it. There were some rumors of a new one getting announced soon though so I would maybe wait.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's a great device for someone not me. I keep forgetting to sell it. Any interest in a large?

Not with my girly wrists, lol.

Edit: schuey, I don't want to pay a lot, and I don't know how long I would keep it depending on other announcements this year, so I will try to score it for cheap.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Not with my girly wrists, lol.

Edit: schuey, I don't want to pay a lot, and I don't know how long I would keep it depending on other announcements this year, so I will try to score it for cheap.

Cool. I use mine every day. It definitely has helped motivate me to get more fit.

I sold my Band. I really wanted to like it but the screen scratched too easily, the rubber has a coating that slowly powders off, the software is updated too slowly, and it isn't as comfortable as I'd like it to be.

Cortana worked pretty damn well on it though. Well enough that I'd buy a revised Band again if it's of better quality materials and more comfortable. Oh, and add some shadow boxing workouts and apps that allow me to customize my workouts.

Totakeke

I like the band, the construction is definitely poor and it's definitely not the most comfortable thing to have on your wrists. Cortana integration is nice and guided workouts are really useful for me, but I don't have a comparison to other fitness trackers and if other fitness trackers had something like guided workouts, I wouldn't be surprised if those are a much better product than the band.

I Was thinking of buying the Lumia 640 XL, but not sure if it'll be too big. Anyone recommend this phone? I did have a 735 but I broke it like a numpty.

Tablo

Feel like the 640 XL is pretty big, but consuming content on it might be worth, dunno. 5.5~ or under woulda been nicer.

hitgirl

My Lumia 920 is always acting up, screen freezes and needs a reset every other day or so. I still think it's under a 1 year warrenty so I plan on taking it back to Verizon. What's the best Windows Phone to get now? I'd like one with a decent case I could buy and wireless charging is nice.

Edit - Whoa, Verizon looks like I only have two choices..

I Was thinking of buying the Lumia 640 XL, but not sure if it'll be too big. Anyone recommend this phone? I did have a 735 but I broke it like a numpty.

I wanted the 640XL but ended up with 640 and I think it is the perfect size. Depends wether you like massive phones you can't use one handed or not.

Treo360

How are people finding w10 on surface pros? Tempted to install the insider build now.

Much, much better. However I do miss a lot of what win 8.1 had in terms of tablet gestures etc... but much more stable than the last releases that had me reverting back to 8.1.

Good, not great. Oh well.

Top Bottom