• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
Just watched the video.

Summary:

- a lot of bug fixes
- there's a lot of new bugs
- settings now look identical to W10
- new camera (video) features

That's pretty much it.

Meh.

It's difficult not to be worried about the state of W10 for phones and the lack of focus mobile seems to be receiving by Microsoft.

edit: on a more positive note, it seems to be running a bit more smoothly and quicker.

Just watched the video.

Summary:

- a lot of bug fixes
- there's a lot of new bugs
- settings now look identical to W10
- new camera (video) features

That's pretty much it.

Meh.

It's difficult not to be worried about the state of W10 for phones and the lack of focus mobile seems to be receiving by Microsoft.

edit: on a more positive note, it seems to be running a bit more smoothly and quicker.

I'd imagine as Desktop winds down focus on Mobile becomes integral. I think they noticed the gap in quality and decided to split the release dates, allowing a more prioritized desktop release and then a prioritized mobile release. I'd still be worried, because of course you should be given the previews.

hadareud

The Translator
I'd imagine as Desktop winds down focus on Mobile becomes integral. I think they noticed the gap in quality and decided to split the release dates, allowing a more prioritized desktop release and then a prioritized mobile release. I'd still be worried, because of course you should be given the previews.

That makes sense, but at the same time doesn't provide a positive outlook for the future.

The goal has to be (and as far as I can tell was) to have W10 be as strong a mobile OS as it is a desktop OS. If the mobile OS is shaping up to be as far behind in both features and quality as well as timing as it currently appears to be, what chance is there for it to ever catch up in the long run. It's clear that more investment is needed, that won't happen if the sales numbers aren't there. And they won't be there if they treat mobile as a second class citizen (at best) as is seemingly currently the case.

I can understand that MS underestimated the scale of the undertaking, I just hope they get their shit together soon. Because if they don't, there won't be a later for phones.

MCD

That makes sense, but at the same time doesn't provide a positive outlook for the future.

The goal has to be (and as far as I can tell was) to have W10 be as strong a mobile OS as it is a desktop OS. If the mobile OS is shaping up to be as far behind in both features and quality as well as timing as it currently appears to be, what chance is there for it to ever catch up in the long run. It's clear that more investment is needed, that won't happen if the sales numbers aren't there. And they won't be there if they treat mobile as a second class citizen (at best) as is seemingly currently the case.

I can understand that MS underestimated the scale of the undertaking, I just hope they get their shit together soon. Because if they don't, there won't be a later for phones.

This is no different from what happened before. Windows Phone team is slow and incompetent. Sorry, but that's how it is.

Every feature that Win10 brings to the phone is basically the things they refused/locked access to in the past (missing APIs for example).

And they have the nerve to tell their fans to go fuck off and wait for them to make Win10 for a flagship phone.

This is no different from what happened before. Windows Phone team is slow and incompetent. Sorry, but that's how it is.

Every feature that Win10 brings to the phone is basically the things they refused/locked access to in the past (missing APIs for example).

And they have the nerve to tell their fans to go fuck off and wait for them to make Win10 for a flagship phone.

The phone team is the desktop team...

Keep in mind Phone can mask progress very easily. You can have one or two major bugs that are nearly finished but are tanking battery/screen/cpu. The Shell is more tightly coupled with the experience, so you notice flaws way more easily as compared to a desktop where your interations are on a browser/application. There's a LOT of features that are being developed, and many times it requires a coordinated checkin between two-three-four teams. You can have 3 out of 4 in the build, but the experiences is going to be shitty. Then all of a sudden the FeatureXX team RIs and everything clicks into place (with only minor bugs/quirks)

This isn't meant as an excuse, though, it was unusable on my 930 when I attempted. That's inexcusable imo, but I'm not too worried about it for retail release. The flights should only increase in quality as we get closer to desktop's july release.

MCD

I don't know lastflowers, I don't know.

8.0 was buggy as fuck for me. Bluetooth constant crashing and apps like usual need to be designed for it in order to function properly. and thanks to that 8.1 freezing bug on my Lumia 1020, I had to wait more than 6 months for denim to fix it for good.

granted, 8.0 was a new kernel blahblahblah, granted 1020 is an old dying phone but Joe and his team cannot fuck it up once again.

we've had enough reboots. enough OS releases for them to get their shit together. but instead, we got the usual delayed launches (for a beta release even!) and buggy mess all over again.

A store is selling the 830 for $300. So tempted.
Got my 830 with a fitbit for $200. Sold my fitbit for close to $80. Very happy with my 830 for that price.

For $300 I would probably advise that you either wait for the price to drop and/or until it gets full Denim and Update 2.

Tablo

All the 830 needed was the 410 or something with the A53 in it, and woulda been ace.
Here I am wanting a decent stopgap till the next pureview phone with a snapdragons 820 rumored for 2016...
hrm, but the 640s don't have "hey Cortana", and I just started using the everloving shit out of her for reminders LOL

I'm in Canada, so it's locked a Canadian carrier (Telus). And I guess after the $200 sale in the US it doesn't seem like that good of a deal.

Reading up on reviews it's definitely an upgrade on my HTC 8X, but seems underpowered for even $300.

Hopefully the upcoming flagship has a lower-specced variant.

hitgirl

I'm getting rid of my Windows Phone. Been on them for like 4 years now it seems. I just can't anymore. I'd take a windows phone for business use, but for personal use I think I'm moving over to Android. Windows Phone 10 seems like more of the same.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So I decided to put win10 for phones on my 930, but the first update I got was update 2 for 8.1, and it has a lot of cool little touches. It improved Bluetooth, added the sorting on settings, and the home page became silky smooth. Built in apps also seemed to open more quickly. This is windows 8.1 in its final form, and it's really polished. So I decided to stop updating for now and use this build for a while. I wish the apps were there, I would love to use this as my daily driver again.

So I decided to put win10 for phones on my 930, but the first update I got was update 2 for 8.1, and it has a lot of cool little touches. It improved Bluetooth, added the sorting on settings, and the home page became silky smooth. Built in apps also seemed to open more quickly. This is windows 8.1 in its final form, and it's really polished. So I decided to stop updating for now and use this build for a while. I wish the apps were there, I would love to use this as my daily driver again.
Wait you switch again? I though you ditch the Note and is back on Windows Phone.

Edit: nvm, I misread your previous post. It is hard for me to come back also, though Lollipop work fine for me on Cyanogen One Plus, many of the new features of Android 5 leave me very frustrated.

JaggedSac

Upgraded my wife from a 920 to an S6. She left because the lack of apps. She far she hates it, lol. She really liked the home screen experience on WP. Could be due to her not knowing how to do things. Couple quick questions for you android vets.

Does Outlook not display a number on the icon on the home screen when there are new emails? I know it is possible for apps since I've seen others where this happens.

Is there a way to get a separate Outlook icon for each account? Say perhaps an Exchange email and an Outlook.com email.

What is the best way to get Outlook.com or Exchange account calendars to integrate with lock screen? It appears that when using the exchange account setup, there is only one calendar for that account. She has like 5.

What is the best app to get the lock screen to update with daily Bing pictures. She tried Picturesque Lockscreen or some such from Microsoft, but you would swipe it to go away and then you'd have to do the fingerprint scan on the default lockscreen. Basically made unlocking a two step process.

What is best way to export contacts from her MS account to the android device?

She hates that apps will reopen in the same spot she last was when she hits the icon from the home screen. Is there a way to change that behavior?

Funny thing is, after she set everything up and got all her apps, I asked which ones she had now that she didn't have before and it was like 2 things. She is debating returning it if things don't turn around in a week or two.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Its just a rumor, but it would make total sense.

No it doesn't. Windows 10 mobile doesn't even look ready. And they aren't releasing a new device that's not Windows 10. Fall looks like a good bet with Surface Pro 4

joshschw

Windows 10 is such a downer.

I used it months ago on my laptop (2013 lowish high end Sony), it just was a poor experience - I chalked it up to being so early.

Phones - used it on 820 and 520 over last couple of months. Total disaster.

Just installed it on my Dell tablet the other day. Thing is a total disaster. Tablet mode is terrible. Riddled with bugs on the OS, and ALL the new apps are terrible. I realize that the app platform may be improved over Win8 RT, but wow the apps themselves seem like they're early alpha code.

It's also UGLY. Seriously, it's bland, the splashes of color look so out of place too. The notification menu looks like something from the 70's, and not in a good way. Just reminds me of old electronics with big light up buttons.

Start screen is useless. Cortana is working poorly: "Open Word" bing search. "Launch Word" bing search. "Launch Microsoft Word" bing search.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
No it doesn't. Windows 10 mobile doesn't even look ready. And they aren't releasing a new device that's not Windows 10. Fall looks like a good bet with Surface Pro 4

Well by the accounts of people I follow on twitter, Windows 10 for non phones isn't ready either. And these are people that make great money working on MS products and are generally pro MS.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
What's wrong with the new apps?? The new designs for weather, news, mail, calendar, etc. are very good. Xbox Music is coming along nice as well.

Well by the accounts of people I follow on twitter, Windows 10 for non phones isn't ready either. And these are people that make great money working on MS products and are generally pro MS.

Phone version has been confirmed by MSFT has not coming at the same time at desktop, new phone devices in July just doesn't make sense.

joshschw

What's wrong with the new apps?? The new designs for weather, news, mail, calendar, etc. are very good. Xbox Music is coming along nice as well.

None of them work very well. Doubly so on a tablet. I also more meant essential OS apps like PHOTOS & MAIL.

And they are all super buggy too.
I don't see this in a shippable state in 1.5 months. Hope to be wrong.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
None of them work very well. Doubly so on a tablet. I also more meant essential OS apps like PHOTOS & MAIL.

And they are all super buggy too.
I don't see this in a shippable state in 1.5 months. Hope to be wrong.

IT ISN'T.

Microsoft officially said it its not coming with Windows 10 PC. It will come later this year.

I am reading impression from preview users as well. Recent builds look solid enough to me. There is update pretty much every week or so as well.

For mobile version its been super slow. Completely different story.

Top Bottom