• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

n64coder

Upgraded my wife from a 920 to an S6.

What is best way to export contacts from her MS account to the android device?

I have no experience with Android but I don't think you want to export/import contacts, right? You should keep the contacts in the cloud and just have the phone access them.
That's what I do with my WP.

My sister has an S5 and she recently updated and now has the battery killing bug or something like that. She wants to do a backup/restore of her phone. Doing a search, I was surprised that it seems Android doesn't have good backup/restore functionality unlike my WP. Blows my mind.

joshschw

IT ISN'T.

Microsoft officially said it its not coming with Windows 10 PC. It will come later this year.

Sadly, I was referring to the PC build of Win10 with that comment. The phone version seems even months behind that, it's not even usable at this point.
The CURRENT PC build reminds me of the very first preview build released of Win8 honestly, and that was like a year(?) off at that point.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My sister has an S5 and she recently updated and now has the battery killing bug or something like that. She wants to do a backup/restore of her phone.

That won't work, unfortunately. Its not a bug, it's android 5.01 which sucks. She will just have to wait until an update to 5.1 is available for her phone, her battery life will stink until that happens, nothing she can do.

hadareud

The Translator
Sadly, I was referring to the PC build of Win10 with that comment. The phone version seems even months behind that, it's not even usable at this point.
The CURRENT PC build reminds me of the very first preview build released of Win8 honestly, and that was like a year(?) off at that point.

What do you mean? W10 runs very smoothly now, the apps are coming along and the UI looks close to being done. Edge needs some attention, but overall I can't see why it would take them more than a few months, let alone a year, to finish things.

Also, the W8 Beta was basically W7 with charms and a start screen. Which incidentally, W8 was on a desktop.

frontieruk

What do you mean? W10 runs very smoothly now, the apps are coming along and the UI looks close to being done. Edge needs some attention, but overall I can't see why it would take them more than a few months, let alone a year, to finish things.

Also, the W8 Beta was basically W7 with charms and a start screen. Which incidentally, W8 was on a desktop.

Blasphemy!!

Next you'll be telling us that Windows 7 was in fact Windows Vista sp2 just released under a different name to lose the stench of the Vista launch...

hadareud

The Translator
heh, impossible.

Obviously there were a few under the hood changes, but W10 seems to be by far the biggest change since xp to vista.

Sold a coworker on a cheap Lumia 635 because her old 4S broke. She's been using it for about 2 months now and I asked her how she liked it. I looked at her phone; she didn't change the start screen, didn't customize tiles, and her store tile had the number 47 on it. As in, 47 apps to update. She never set the phone up for wifi and never even set up a credit card for the store. Geezus, she probably represents 60% of all smartphone users. Just buying iPhones cuz someone told her to.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
That's one problem with the live tile interface.....most people are too lazy or don't care make it look nice or use it properly.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Toying with the 640xl.

What a huge POS. It's not just the crummy display and anemic chipset, but how POORLY the OS runs.

Microsoft needs to start trying. You know you are releasing shit when Alcatel is giving you a run for your money.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Is the Snapdragon 810 really as horrible as made out (battery, heat, throttling)?

It's worse than the 801 in a number of ways when it comes to real time performance.

Qualcomm really bungled that one. Shit has to bewrong when manufacturers are going after the 615 line instead.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So if the rumours of the 940XL having an 810 vs the 940's 808 are true, the 940 would probably the one to go for?

Who knows. But from the looks of it, the 808 may become the preferred chipset for a number of manufacturers, so that must mean something.

Either way, it's not like there's a ton of high end games/apps to make use of the 810 strenghts.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, and who cares about benchmarks. If it runs cooler and has better battery life a small disadvantage when it comes to benchmarks really doesn't matter. That's my way of thinking anyway.

hadareud

The Translator
Looking quite nice, though I have to see it in action.

I still haven't given up hope for a late summer (ie September) release.

I dunno, maybe it depends on the hardware, but on my SP3 even the current build is plagued with most of the same problems I've been having since the start of the insider program...

For instance, battery still drains way faster than it should and the surface is still constantly hot even by standing still running nothing, the new network UIs often have trouble finding and connecting to networks (but if I go through the "legacy" W8 flyout it will find and connect to them with no hassle. There's still something wrong about the new app platform that makes apps stopping responding (like the start menu, the action center, or the other new flyouts for network, sound and power not popping up, and the apps themselves freezing without taking any input (and you can even alt tab to them)... Connected standby still doesn't work properly with my surface getting tremendously hot when sleeping (even though it seems to perform less actions when sleeping than before, for instance background syncing with onedrive and auto installing windows updates.

Not to mention many things still seem half baked. We got new UIs for connectivity, sound, power, but Bluetooth and connected devices still haven't been touched. The new settings app was supposed to replace the control panel, but still lacks many features of it, and so you have to constantly switch back the new and old...

I mean, don't get me wrong it is coming along nicely, but going by the pace thus far, the current state, and the fact that it is supposed to launch in less than two months does leave a lot to be worried, specially since for some areas of the OS they already declared that they will ship in a non optimal state and improve after launch.

Doffen

zTBx64Y.png

No ragrets!

Not sure sure what I did.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I dunno, maybe it depends on the hardware, but on my SP3 even the current build is plagued with most of the same problems I've been having since the start of the insider program...

For instance, battery still drains way faster than it should and the surface is still constantly hot even by standing still running nothing, the new network UIs often have trouble finding and connecting to networks (but if I go through the "legacy" W8 flyout it will find and connect to them with no hassle. There's still something wrong about the new app platform that makes apps stopping responding (like the start menu, the action center, or the other new flyouts for network, sound and power not popping up, and the apps themselves freezing without taking any input (and you can even alt tab to them)... Connected standby still doesn't work properly with my surface getting tremendously hot when sleeping (even though it seems to perform less actions when sleeping than before, for instance background syncing with onedrive and auto installing windows updates.

Not to mention many things still seem half baked. We got new UIs for connectivity, sound, power, but Bluetooth and connected devices still haven't been touched. The new settings app was supposed to replace the control panel, but still lacks many features of it, and so you have to constantly switch back the new and old...

I mean, don't get me wrong it is coming along nicely, but going by the pace thus far, the current state, and the fact that it is supposed to launch in less than two months does leave a lot to be worried, specially since for some areas of the OS they already declared that they will ship in a non optimal state and improve after launch.
yup. These are most of the complaints i've seen from the people I follow on twitter.

joshschw

Absolutely!
Now imagine the issues on an Atom based tablet, and with much more bugs (things just simply don't work half the time.)

I also find the new UI to be hideous.
Spartan? What is going on there? Just the most boring toned grey they could find with some ugly icons? Not to mention it has basically ZERO touch capabilities other than scrolling - good luck tapping even a link on a site. Okay, the note taking/drawing thing is cool and works great, but will I ever use it? Don't know, but at least it works nicely I suppose.
Taskbar? Sorry, but it's ugly, it's visually unappealing. Also I don't want it on screen 100% of the time on my tablet. what for? it takes up a huge amount of screen real estate and doesn't actually do anything for me. this back arrow initiative is nice in theory but things worked out MUCH much better before.
Photos app. This one just kills me though. Not like the old photos app was anything great but it was coherent and attractive and it worked. This one manages to be none of the above. Also I totally dig the ultra sharpening filter applied to images. no, not really. thanks for ruining all my photos if I decide to zoom them in I guess?

The bugs are the biggest thing though. I'd say 50% of the time my things don't pop up. Notification bar, wifi icon in taskbar, same with battery but that's a bit more reliable, start menu works 90% of the time, but if I hit the hamburger or all apps once in there it's 50/50. Also... why is it so hard to turn off my dang tablet? This stuff is also all slow when it does work. Another big issue is these little popup menus work so incredibly poorly with touch. I finally get to Power in start and tap and drag to Shut Off. Oh wait that doesn't work - it highlights fine though! It just is processing my finger as a mouse pointer.

The "Preview" label only can go so far 1.5 months from release and absolutely nothing works correctly except old Win32 legacy software.
Oh and the feedback app doesn't launch half the time when I launch it from another app via smile or link in menu. Just crashes

EDIT: I will be the first in line to be wowed in July when this thing runs like butter on my tablet (and laptop/home computer). I'd love to be impressed.

hadareud

The Translator

It's definitely not ready for the Surface yet, I agree. On my desktop it runs great.

To rudder back some more, for touch the picture isn't as positive. Edge needs a touch mode and it uses far too much battery right now. Things like pw saving/syncing and plugin support need to come asap. I'd also like to see them re-implement more of the 8 gestures and stuff.

But apart from that I don't think there's anything major missing now, it's just optimisation, polish, bug fixing etc. Nothing that should take more than a month or two as opposed to a year as was mentioned. Let's not forget that with W10 we're not going to see a feature complete release, since features are now supposed to come with Windows update as opposed to previous releases.

Doffen

Lol, is this real? What did you do? He gets a lot of trolls, maybe he just clicked on the wrong username.

Yeah, I have no idea. Maybe one of my comments during Build was a bit too snarky.
Or maybe he just hates tier 2 citizens. Didn't notice it before today.

Absolutely!
Now imagine the issues on an Atom based tablet, and with much more bugs (things just simply don't work half the time.)

I also find the new UI to be hideous.
Spartan? What is going on there? Just the most boring toned grey they could find with some ugly icons? Not to mention it has basically ZERO touch capabilities other than scrolling - good luck tapping even a link on a site. Okay, the note taking/drawing thing is cool and works great, but will I ever use it? Don't know, but at least it works nicely I suppose.
Taskbar? Sorry, but it's ugly, it's visually unappealing. Also I don't want it on screen 100% of the time on my tablet. what for? it takes up a huge amount of screen real estate and doesn't actually do anything for me. this back arrow initiative is nice in theory but things worked out MUCH much better before.
Photos app. This one just kills me though. Not like the old photos app was anything great but it was coherent and attractive and it worked. This one manages to be none of the above. Also I totally dig the ultra sharpening filter applied to images. no, not really. thanks for ruining all my photos if I decide to zoom them in I guess?

The bugs are the biggest thing though. I'd say 50% of the time my things don't pop up. Notification bar, wifi icon in taskbar, same with battery but that's a bit more reliable, start menu works 90% of the time, but if I hit the hamburger or all apps once in there it's 50/50. Also... why is it so hard to turn off my dang tablet? This stuff is also all slow when it does work. Another big issue is these little popup menus work so incredibly poorly with touch. I finally get to Power in start and tap and drag to Shut Off. Oh wait that doesn't work - it highlights fine though! It just is processing my finger as a mouse pointer.

The "Preview" label only can go so far 1.5 months from release and absolutely nothing works correctly except old Win32 legacy software.
Oh and the feedback app doesn't launch half the time when I launch it from another app via smile or link in menu. Just crashes

EDIT: I will be the first in line to be wowed in July when this thing runs like butter on my tablet (and laptop/home computer). I'd love to be impressed.

I agree on the apps not taking advantage of the tablet mode to be really touch friendly, but apps should be updated eventually, right now the most important thing is that the app platform allows the app to detect not only the device family, but on which mode the device is running and adapt (the apps can declare a complete different interface when in tablet mode if they so desire, and not just using controls that expand/contract), so, I hope, we should have updates on that front very soon as more people get their hands on W10 tablets.

As for the taskbar in tablet mode, I really like it now. They still have to add more options, and specially allow you to chose independent behaviors when in desktop or tablet mode, but even as right now, where all it does is hide unimportant system tray icons and increase the spacing between entries it does make navigation better than windows 8.1 charms bar and gestures... I can switch apps faster, and access important actions (like brightness and volume) with less clicks. Right now the only thing that I find worse in win10 compared to 8 is getting to the start screen, the start button on the charms bar (as well the charms bar itself sliding up and down depending on where you swiped) made it so much better to hit.

The loss of real state isn't bothering much either, even for reading apps, but, as the VLC and the default video app shows, the apps now can chose when to go full screen by themselves, so again, as the apps are updated, general usage will improve too. Of course, they could (and should) also an option for auto hiding the taskbar by default in tablet mode, because things like this needs to be as customizable as possible in order to please everyone.

I dunno about the back button on the taskbar though. Still haven't got used to it, but maybe it's the muscle memory being used to have the back on top left, I also miss the feedback from capacitive buttons...

Prez

Toying with the 640xl.

What a huge POS. It's not just the crummy display and anemic chipset, but how POORLY the OS runs.

Microsoft needs to start trying. You know you are releasing shit when Alcatel is giving you a run for your money.

Could you clarify? I have a 630 with half the amount of RAM and low res screen and I'm very happy with the performance and screen quality. 640 can't be worse, right? Or maybe I'm just happy with far less than you.

JaggedSac

Could you clarify? I have a 630 with half the amount of RAM and low res screen and I'm very happy with the performance and screen quality. 640 can't be worse, right? Or maybe I'm just happy with far less than you.

My 635 works like a charm. Except for that new What In the World game, it just opens and closes.

Lately my 635 crashes a lot when opening GIF threads or Baconit. Overall I wouldn't say it is shit performance but you definitely notice a difference between this and the 1520. Which is to be expected, really.

Nero3000

930 survived being dropped into a glass of water (just about).

IT was a bit scary last night, especially when it wouldnt start up. But a day in a bag of rice sorted it out....hopefully.

Still, 940 please...

Top Bottom