• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

NeOak

Lately my 635 crashes a lot when opening GIF threads or Baconit. Overall I wouldn't say it is shit performance but you definitely notice a difference between this and the 1520. Which is to be expected, really.
My 1520 sometimes crashes browsing GAF. Must be a shitty ad.

Music app is so shitty was going to jump to iPhone, but found good alt app that puts default to shame.
I'll probably still jump to iPhone lol.
Just when I bought it for $4.99.
930 survived being dropped into a glass of water (just about).

IT was a bit scary last night, especially when it wouldnt start up. But a day in a bag of rice sorted it out....hopefully.

Still, 940 please...
I like lumias, they build like tanks.

Could you clarify? I have a 630 with half the amount of RAM and low res screen and I'm very happy with the performance and screen quality. 640 can't be worse, right? Or maybe I'm just happy with far less than you.
I've noticed on my mum's 640 that if the notification area is packed -- which hers always is because she never taps them or swipes them away -- the phone noticeably stutters when you slide the notification area down from the top.

Prez

José Mourinho;166739129 said:
I've noticed on my mum's 640 that if the notification area is packed -- which hers always is because she never taps them or swipes them away -- the phone noticeably stutters when you slide the notification area down from the top.

Now that I think of it, the browser is actually pretty shit. On non-mobile sites it often crashes and closes, and when I restart the browser I get a blank screen instead the last visited page. So I have to go to the browser history to find it but it takes forever to load. Also, whenever I search on a page it keeps loading and the only way to see the search results is to hit the back button.

I thought update 2 had somehow fixed the front camera on my 735 but now that we have a bit of sunlight here it looks like I was wrong. On bright days it seems to add too much red to photos of my beautiful face and I end up looking like I've been sniffing glue or have a serious long-standing alchohol problem.

Edit: Seriously though.

On the left a FinePix F100fd, on the right a Lumia 735. Excuse the pores and the slightly different angle.

s1a6Hxz.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Could you clarify? I have a 630 with half the amount of RAM and low res screen and I'm very happy with the performance and screen quality. 640 can't be worse, right? Or maybe I'm just happy with far less than you.

It's just not very fast. Seems on league with my ancient 920, which is not exactly a powerhouse by today's standards, and the display is rather so-so.

With Facebook integration being killed off, it's going to be fun to have the circle pics on messaging in Windows 10, they'll mostly be blank!

Are you fucking kidding me? Seriously, is there no way this is just a temp change and it will be back?

That was probably THE feature I've loved about Windows Phone, ever since my launch day Samsung Focus: the social integration. I know it's everywhere now, but that kind of experience was an original core concept in WP's design and user experience.

I'm having trouble coming up with reasons to stick with this platform.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Are you fucking kidding me? Seriously, is there no way this is just a temp change and it will be back?

That was probably THE feature I've loved about Windows Phone, ever since my launch day Samsung Focus: the social integration. I know it's everywhere now, but that kind of experience was an original core concept in WP's design and user experience.

I'm having trouble coming up with reasons to stick with this platform.

If Facebook goes away, so will I.

At this point I'm looking for excuses to remain loyal. I won't become a SEGA fan.

If Facebook goes away, so will I.

At this point I'm looking for excuses to remain loyal. I won't become a SEGA fan.

I am seriously wondering what is keeping me here, if that's the case. Universal apps ain't gonna cut it, and I can't think of much more, other than the keyboard (and general design, of course), if the social integration is gimped any further.

joshschw

Outlook Social Connector in Outlook 2013
##The Outlook Social Connector (OSC) connection to Facebook will no longer function, and you'll see an "Invalid user name or password" error in the OSC connection dialog. As a result, content from Facebook such as the What’s New section and your Facebook profile picture won’t be updated.

Aww, I loved this feature, it would automatically pull someone's name/picture based on email address. Was awesome.

"who is this from? Oh it's betsy smith"

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I am seriously wondering what is keeping me here, if that's the case. Universal apps ain't gonna cut it, and I can't think of much more, other than the keyboard (and general design, of course), if the social integration is gimped any further.

I'll be done with Windows Phone the second Microsoft releases its keyboard for Android.

Just like that. That very second I'll head up to the shop and buy something else.

joshschw

This doesn't seem at affect phone at all. Just some Windows programs.

NeOak

This doesn't seem at affect phone at all. Just some Windows programs.
It affects phone too

Windows Phone 7 and 8 People app

The People app newsfeed data will no longer be updated with data from Facebook. Facebook contacts and Facebook events in the Calendar app will no longer be updated with information from Facebook.

Windows Phone 7 and 8 OneDrive

Posting a picture or video to your Facebook wall or Facebook profile on Windows Phone 7.5/8 and Office will no longer work. As a workaround, post photos and videos via the Facebook website or Facebook app.

Windows Phone 7 and 8 Photos

Posting a photo or video to your Facebook wall or Facebook profile on Windows Phone 7 and 8 will no longer work. Also the integration of your Facebook photo into your Photo Gallery will no longer work.

As a workaround, post and view photos and videos via the Facebook website or Facebook app.

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...e3d-8a22-e506dacb6db6?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

So no more linking the Facebook profile to get the current profile picture.

Yup, time to bail out.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You guys remember how awesome the people app used to be? How about the messaging and photos app? This was basically the Facebook phone. Integration across the OS was so CLUTCH, but I guess when you have to depends on other companies, and those other companies don't really care about your platform, it's not a workable concept.

frontieruk

You guys remember how awesome the people app used to be? How about the messaging and photos app? This was basically the Facebook phone. Integration across the OS was so CLUTCH, but I guess when you have to depends on other companies, and those other companies don't really care about your platform, it's not a workable concept.

Or you know MS could of listened when Facebook said over a year ago they were changing their API and would be killing support for the old one, then MS could of updated their code to use the latest API, but FUCK that shit we're burning 8.1 with fire...

Raide

930 arrived this afternoon, so I am settings up, updating and playing around. Really loving the screen and camera. Need to learn the tricks of the camera I think.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Or you know MS could of listened when Facebook said over a year ago they were changing their API and would be killing support for the old one, then MS could of updated their code to use the latest API, but FUCK that shit we're burning 8.1 with fire...

I was more reminiscing about the tighter integration at the launch of the platform, but yeah, your really have to wonder what the point of stringing along the last few remaining fans and launching another platform reboot if they are not going all in.

I said I was bailing out when I got the 930 and stupidly didn't -- note, Facebook nonsense is not the source of this comment. Anyway, I have a year to go on this contract before I can jump ship.

Shit thing is, between iOS and Android I'd rather go iOS, but I don't rally want to do that. Sigh.

Once every car manufacturer incorporates both iPhone and Google Play or whatever they call it into cars and shuts out Windows, it will be the final nail for Windows Phone and maybe Windows for consumer.

hwalker84

I need an explanation on why they couldn't use the latest Facebook api's. Does this translate to WP10 or W10? This whole situation is funny. It's like i'm trying to stay in the house and Microsoft is pushing me out of the door. Now it seems like the 940/XL will release after the iPhone 6s. At that point I think I'm done. I'm messing around with my work 6+ and it feels like OG Samsung Focus fluid and the apps are far superior (not a huge deal for me).

ElNino

Once every car manufacturer incorporates both iPhone and Google Play or whatever they call it into cars and shuts out Windows, it will be the final nail for Windows Phone and maybe Windows for consumer.
How/why would car manufacturers shut out Bluetooth?

kharma45

José Mourinho;166905595 said:
I said I was bailing out when I got the 930 and stupidly didn't -- note, Facebook nonsense is not the source of this comment. Anyway, I have a year to go on this contract before I can jump ship.

Shit thing is, between iOS and Android I'd rather go iOS, but I don't rally want to do that. Sigh.

I'd probably go iOS too. Waiting on the new models in September, going to get the 6S Plus as my work device. Depending on how it is I might drop my 735 and go wholly iPhone.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
José Mourinho;166905595 said:

I would go iPhone, feels like the lesser of two evils.

How to profile pics work in iOS?

Edit: Damn the The Verge homepage is a wall of Apple. Stuff like that makes it hard to leave WP.

I'd probably go with an iPhone, myself, but I'm not certain.

I was actually trying to find a cheaper iPhone 5 to buy so I could use all the cool videography apps on it when I'm on set, but maybe I'll just wait and see if I jump ship.

*waits for "Don't panic" post*

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I would go iPhone, feels like the lesser of two evils.

How to profile pics work in iOS?

Edit: Damn the The Verge homepage is a wall of Apple. Stuff like that makes it hard to leave WP.

It's wwdc, that was expected.

Also, I'm still deciding between android and Apple this fall. I may just get a galaxy s6, but I want to see the 5.1 update first.

Edit: Apple had such a big advantage with the way they can dictate the update process. On android, you have to wait. Unless you have a nexus, but then you don't have a top flight camera.

Nero3000

This facebook thing seems a long time coming, but with apps in 8.1 and 10 it should still work the right.

It also seem like if it is a change to the fbgraph API, then it should affect other services...

MarkusRJR

So I found my old Ativ S with a cracked screen and thought I'd update it to try the current versions of Windows Phone. Yet holy shit this thing doesn't even have 8.1... WTF Samsung? I'm still in my contract with it until next July and only bought a new unlocked phone since I broke it. If I had it as my main phone I'd be super pissed by now.

frontieruk

This facebook thing seems a long time coming, but with apps in 8.1 and 10 it should still work the right.

It also seem like if it is a change to the fbgraph API, then it should affect other services...

depends on if other services have updated to use the new API, I think MS did stuff server side, which is why it kept breaking, I guess they've given up and are hoping they have a good enough API on devices for Facebook to replicate the featuers ie linking photos etc from an app

Top Bottom