• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

MarkusRJR

I had to change a setting on Google to "enable less secure apps" to let my Google account connect to my Ativ S. When did this happen?

Ape

Banned
ios isn't bad guys. completely functional if unremarkable. you're going to get all the apps you've ever wanted plus some that you didn't know existed. lets face it, the phone os race is between two companies right now. MS hasn't just been lapped, they've been sleeping.

How/why would car manufacturers shut out Bluetooth?
They wont but apple and google are already in bed with many car makers so that their phones can integrate into cars' head units for apps like navi, music, voice texts, etc.

Bluetooth won't be enough. Once people have connected phone apps in their cars there's no going back.

ios isn't bad guys. completely functional if unremarkable. you're going to get all the apps you've ever wanted plus some that you didn't know existed. lets face it, the phone os race is between two companies right now. MS hasn't just been lapped, they've been sleeping.
Nothing wrong with iOS. It's the overpriced hardware that I have an issue with.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't want to stop your doom and gloom, but I don't read anywhere that Windows Phone 8.1 is affected by the API update.

I'd imagine that that's because in WP8.1 the integration comes via the app rather than through the api. Which I'd imagine was the much decried reason they removed the integration from the people hub in the first place.

BUT WE'RE FUCKED, EVERYTHING IS SHIIIT.

Paganmoon

Windows 10 Mobile |OT| What Android phone should I get?

If they're basically killing Win10 Mobile, why not just announce it already so I can start looking at a replacement Android one.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
After years of live tiles, prepare to be bored to death by the iOS home screen. Of all the features they could have swiped from the OS, I can't believe apple hasn't copied live tiles yet.

Also, I can't believe brot isn't here to witness the end. *sheds tear*

ElNino

They wont but apple and google are already in bed with many car makers so that their phones can integrate into cars' head units for apps like navi, music, voice texts, etc.

Bluetooth won't be enough. Once people have connected phone apps in their cars there's no going back.
Other than GPS Nava, everything you said can (and currently) is done by Bluetooth.

I have built-in GPS in my vehicles to I don't have much use for my phone's GPS while driving. Music, calls, voice texts are all handled perfectly fine in WP 8.1 with both of my vehicles. In fact, other than (arguably) music they work better with my 1020 than they do with my wife's 5S since she doesn't have text to voice; does iOS do that by default?

MCD

Don't care about facebook and find it funny that it will be the thing that convince you all to jump ship.

Like you guys already need another reason. Been plenty for years now. Facebook is just reason to bail out no 678.

hwalker84

Holy shit so literally no FB integration at all? WTF? Does this affect current versions of OS or only future versions?

I would assume this means it will stop working soon. It would seem from the massive amount of apps losing integration that this means in the future as well or why wouldn't they mention Windows 10 using the new API's?

ElNino

While I agree the Facebook integration was better in WP7x, I see this as more of a reason to use Facebook less than it is to jump ship.

The funny thing is, we hear plenty of doom and gloom stories and everything seems rosy on the other side of the fence(s), but every time I use my wife's iPhone or my friends Android devices I can't really come up with any real reason to leave for them... despite all of the supposed benefits. All the apps in the world are great, but rarely to I encounter an app that I would use regularly that I don't already have.

The only real benefit I might see from going to iOS is that my son could message me on iMessage from iTouch, but then he could also use Skype if he really wanted to.

hwalker84

While I agree the Facebook integration was better in WP7x, I see this as more of a reason to use Facebook less than it is to jump ship.

The funny thing is, we hear plenty of doom and gloom stories and everything seems rosy on the other side of the fence(s), but every time I use my wife's iPhone or my friends Android devices I can't really come up with any real reason to leave for them... despite all of the supposed benefits. All the apps in the world are great, but rarely to I encounter an app that I would use regularly that I don't already have.

The only real benefit I might see from going to iOS is that my son could message me on iMessage from iTouch, but then he could also use Skype if he really wanted to.

For me my car has a companion app and f'ing PNC Bank. Besides that I'm good app wise.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The more I use android, they longer the list of apps I don't want to do without:

-my bank
-ADT
-watch ESPN (i watched the finals game from my bed last night)
-yahoo fantasy sports
-ESPN fantasy sports
-Disney magic timer
-Disney movies

Can I live without these apps? Yeah, of course. But why would I want to? What is windows phone giving me in return? That's what Microsoft has to answer for people.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It is funny for me that something as simple as losing Facebook populating my contacts could be the final straw for me....

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Man no more Facebook integration. End of an era, this was one of the reason I was supporting Windows Phone ever since it was launched. Its truly was people's phone.

This is sad. Microsoft seriously tell me what are your plans for Windows 10 Mobile.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
This is some serious deja vu, we are about to reset the platform again, leaving a whole set of people behind, while building core apps from the ground up again. Everyone else is evolving, MS keeps rebooting. We never even fixed Xbox music after throwing away the zune player, but here we go with another app from scratch. This is madness.

Things I do on my phone:
-Call people
-Text people
-Read books
-Get directions
-Look stuff up
-Occasionally take some pictures

Win phone doing fine by me.

AlexMogil

Did Microsoft actually give a reason? I can only infer that they just didn't want to support it any more since they aren't saying much else.

hwalker84

The more I use android, they longer the list of apps I don't want to do without:

-my bank
-ADT
-watch ESPN (i watched the finals game from my bed last night)
-yahoo fantasy sports
-ESPN fantasy sports
-Disney magic timer
-Disney movies

Can I live without these apps? Yeah, of course. But why would I want to? What is windows phone giving me in return? That's what Microsoft has to answer for people.
God I need that Yahoo Fantasy App

This is some serious deja vu, we are about to reset the platform again, leaving a whole set of people behind, while building core apps from the ground up again. Everyone else is evolving, MS keeps rebooting. We never even fixed Xbox music after throwing away the zune player, but here we go with another app from scratch. This is madness.
100% Truth

Did Microsoft actually give a reason? I can only infer that they just didn't want to support it any more since they aren't saying much else.
Microsoft drops a megaton on it's users with no video or explanation. Just leaving it up to us to speculate. At this point I sit back and wonder why WP even exists. Do they truly think they can reboot until it's a hit?

clav

This is Microsoft. What do you expect? Whenever a new version comes out, the philosophy is throw the old code away and rebuild everything.

The history of reboots in web standards from IE versions.

Xbox architecture changes

Windows Mobile 5/6 -> Windows Phone 7/7.5 -> Windows Phone 8/8.1 -> Windows Mobile 10

Zune -> Nothing

.NET Framework iterations

Did this affect the app integration model they introduced with Windows Phone 8.1? If they don't is not as bad as I think, only that Outlook will look awful without contact photos.

Facebook killed the old API used for the integration.

It is funny for me that something as simple as losing Facebook populating my contacts could be the final straw for me....

My wife is going to be piss because half of her contacts are from Facebook. Google pull same shit with Android and removed outlook contact and calendar sync with 5.0, I almost went to iOS but in the end just bite the bullet and export my contacts to Google. I still don't have calendar sync and funny thing is the Sunrise app own by Microsoft doesn't support outlook ... Next phone will probably be iOS.

CaptainABAB

This is Microsoft. What do you expect? Whenever a new version comes out, the philosophy is throw the old code away and rebuild everything.

The history of reboots in web standards from IE versions.

Xbox architecture changes

Windows Mobile 5/6 -> Windows Phone 7/7.5 -> Windows Phone 8/8.1 -> Windows Mobile 10

Zune -> Nothing

.NET Framework iterations

I will disagree on two points: IE and .NET

Microsoft has bent over backwards (too much) to support incompatibles in how web sites were written for older web browsers. And IE still supports ActiveX, plug-ins, etc. Only with Edge do we see a break from the past (finally after almost 20 years.)

The .NET framework has been incrementally upgrade with strong backward compatibility, especially since 2.0 (which came out 10 years ago.) Besides that, the only recent change has been the new ASP.NET 5 (vNext) which has been stripped down and breaks away from webforms, etc.

And outside of XBox and Windows Phone, Microsoft is last company that I think of when it comes to a "philosophy to throw the old code away and rebuild everything." Windows and Office have excellent backwards and forward compatibility. Same for most of the developer tools and server products (Exchange, SQL Server, etc.)

clav

I will disagree on two points: IE and .NET

Microsoft has bent over backwards (too much) to support incompatibles in how web sites were written for older web browsers. And IE still supports ActiveX, plug-ins, etc. Only with Edge do we see a break from the past (finally after almost 20 years.)

The .NET framework has been incrementally upgrade with strong backward compatibility, especially since 2.0 (which came out 10 years ago.) Besides that, the only recent change has been the new ASP.NET 5 (vNext) which has been stripped down and breaks away from webforms, etc.

And outside of XBox and Windows Phone, Microsoft is last company that I think of when it comes to a "philosophy to throw the old code away and rebuild everything." Windows and Office have excellent backwards and forward compatibility. Same for most of the developer tools and server products (Exchange, SQL Server, etc.)

IE is going to be dead with Edge, and even so, why do web devs have to make a rule set for nearly every IE iteration?

If what you said is true, then why am I forced to download 3.5 as a user for legacy programs? Shouldn't it just all work with the current model?

Other than GPS Nava, everything you said can (and currently) is done by Bluetooth.

I have built-in GPS in my vehicles to I don't have much use for my phone's GPS while driving. Music, calls, voice texts are all handled perfectly fine in WP 8.1 with both of my vehicles. In fact, other than (arguably) music they work better with my 1020 than they do with my wife's 5S since she doesn't have text to voice; does iOS do that by default?
Yes but you have to control your music and other apps with your phone, apple and Google's solution is where your apps jump on your car's screen and gives you control of those apps without the need to fiddle with your phone.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

This only applies to Windows Phone and some of their branding decision lately. They are keep fucking rebranding stuff. Zune to Xbox Music and now its Microsoft music.

Windows Mobile, Windows Phone now Windows 10 mobile.

Same with those MSN apps, god darn it. Make up your mind Microsoft. Stop confusing casual crowd.

Magni

Also, just starting using Slack with a group, to no ones surprise no app on WP...

There is an app in development, I'm in the beta. Hopefully there's a new update soon...

I'd imagine that that's because in WP8.1 the integration comes via the app rather than through the api. Which I'd imagine was the much decried reason they removed the integration from the people hub in the first place.

BUT WE'RE FUCKED, EVERYTHING IS SHIIIT.

Yeah WP 8.1 FB integration is still good it seems... http://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphon...onnect_features_shut_down_for_windows/crzkzgi

There is an app in development, I'm in the beta. Hopefully there's a new update soon...
Yeah I did see that actually, which is a pleasant surprise. Good to hear they are testing a beta with users, hopefully that means general availability is soonish.

Liberty4all

Banned
After years of live tiles, prepare to be bored to death by the iOS home screen. Of all the features they could have swiped from the OS, I can't believe apple hasn't copied live tiles yet.

Also, I can't believe brot isn't here to witness the end. *sheds tear*

I'm still using my Nokia 920. My 3 year contract finally finished last month ... Actually I had 4 months left but I paid the penalty to be free of that damn contract. Debating about going back to IOS but I'll really miss Live Tiles. I'm sick of having substandard apps though ... And I REALLY miss the old facebook integration which was a joy to use to keep track of my family.

Edit: Does this mean my family tiles (I made Group with all of my extended family) won't update anymore with facebook content/status updates? That's one of my most used features on my phone.

This only applies to Windows Phone and some of their branding decision lately. They are keep fucking rebranding stuff. Zune to Xbox Music and now its Microsoft music.

Windows Mobile, Windows Phone now Windows 10 mobile.

Same with those MSN apps, god darn it. Make up your mind Microsoft. Stop confusing casual crowd.

Ugh all the name changes piss me off. MSN Sports to Bing Sports to Sports then back to MSN then back to Bing. I don't even care about the apps that much, its just that all the waffling bad and forth screams that the people in charge have no idea what they're doing and they aren't getting anywhere.

frontieruk

good news friends there have been almost 20 more WP sold in the UK as my workplace is replacing it's aging blackberrys with windows phones!

hadareud

The Translator
Don't tell them about the horrendous FB news, it could be a deal breaker.

People get very upset when stuff doesn't work anymore on previous versions of the OS they are using.

NeOak

I'm still using my Nokia 920. My 3 year contract finally finished last month ... Actually I had 4 months left but I paid the penalty to be free of that damn contract. Debating about going back to IOS but I'll really miss Live Tiles. I'm sick of having substandard apps though ... And I REALLY miss the old facebook integration which was a joy to use to keep track of my family.

Edit: Does this mean my family tiles (I made Group with all of my extended family) won't update anymore with facebook content/status updates? That's one of my most used features on my phone.

If you used the app in WP8.1, that will be fine. It's the OS integration that was killed.

good news friends there have been almost 20 more WP sold in the UK as my workplace is replacing it's aging blackberrys with windows phones!

They will be back in 6 months to BB10.

toff74

I convinced the wife a few years ago to go WP and currently owns a L925. Slowly but surely shes growing so dissatisfied with it she wants out. Her main gripes are.

No official Sonos
Crap FB app
Maps are shocking (got us to where we want maybe 2 x out of 10)
No Official Instgram

Funilly enough I'm getting that way myself. Its sad really as I've had WP since 5 and used to write my own ROMS. My gripes are similar

No Official Sonos app
No Strava app
No Tidal app
No Sky Go
Bad Game support (even xbox seems an afterthought)
Bad music App (I owned Zune and Zune pass for years until I switched to Tidal))

My options right now are the Galaxy S6 or the iPhone 6+ which I'm currently using for work. My L920 is only used for calls and texts everything else is iPhone. Not too fussed about interface I just was something that works well. My upgrade was in Jan and I still have no idea what MS has planned as far as hardware and even software other than more of the same. Ok maybe a little different!

Is there a chance that WP10 will be the answer to out needs?

I convinced the wife a few years ago to go WP and currently owns a L925. Slowly but surely shes growing so dissatisfied with it she wants out. Her main gripes are.

No official Sonos
Crap FB app
Maps are shocking (got us to where we want maybe 2 x out of 10)
No Official Instgram

Funilly enough I'm getting that way myself. Its sad really as I've had WP since 5 and used to write my own ROMS. My gripes are similar

No Official Sonos app
No Strava app
No Tidal app
No Sky Go
Bad Game support (even xbox seems an afterthought)
Bad music App (I owned Zune and Zune pass for years until I switched to Tidal))

My options right now are the Galaxy S6 or the iPhone 6+ which I'm currently using for work. My L920 is only used for calls and texts everything else is iPhone. Not too fussed about interface I just was something that works well. My upgrade was in Jan and I still have no idea what MS has planned as far as hardware and even software other than more of the same. Ok maybe a little different!

Is there a chance that WP10 will be the answer to out needs?

but.. there is an official Instagram app for WP?

bms2993

Banned
After much work today, I finally have a great layout for Windows Phone! :)
CHC8uPBUQAA0eZf.jpg
CHC8wZpVAAAIhNK.jpg

Top Bottom