• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Magni

I convinced the wife a few years ago to go WP and currently owns a L925. Slowly but surely shes growing so dissatisfied with it she wants out. Her main gripes are.

No official Sonos
Crap FB app
Maps are shocking (got us to where we want maybe 2 x out of 10)
No Official Instgram

Funilly enough I'm getting that way myself. Its sad really as I've had WP since 5 and used to write my own ROMS. My gripes are similar

No Official Sonos app
No Strava app
No Tidal app
No Sky Go
Bad Game support (even xbox seems an afterthought)
Bad music App (I owned Zune and Zune pass for years until I switched to Tidal))

My options right now are the Galaxy S6 or the iPhone 6+ which I'm currently using for work. My L920 is only used for calls and texts everything else is iPhone. Not too fussed about interface I just was something that works well. My upgrade was in Jan and I still have no idea what MS has planned as far as hardware and even software other than more of the same. Ok maybe a little different!

Is there a chance that WP10 will be the answer to out needs?

Troll?

hadareud

The Translator
Like fuck I will.

Though I have to say that I will miss the daily moaning and hysterical queening of this thread when it does die.

hadareud

The Translator
Pretty much.

They took away the ability to add FB accounts in W10 already, and in light with the changes they made to the people hub in 8.1 (with the integration being done via the apps rather than via the OS), this clearly didn't come as a surprise to them.

n64coder

good news friends there have been almost 20 more WP sold in the UK as my workplace is replacing it's aging blackberrys with windows phones!

He he he. My 12-year old daughter got her 640 yesterday as her first phone and she loves it so far. And my Mom will get a 635 tomorrow as her first cell phone. So that's two more units in the US.

zqYpB.gif

I suspect my next phone choice will be based sorely on capabilities, with OS no longer a consideration, if Windows 10 turns out to be friendly to everything.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The rumors on the flagships this year are actually pretty good. All aluminum body 20, megapixel camera, latest processor etc. I have a feeling the reason a lot of the app situation is quiet right now is because they are preparing to make some big announcements in time for Windows 10 in terms of universal apps. I predict Instagram and other big names will have universal apps announced in time for Windows 10 to make a huge splash from the software side and if the hardware is good, that's actually a pretty decent combination.

hwalker84

The rumors on the flagships this year are actually pretty good. All aluminum body 20, megapixel camera, latest processor etc. I have a feeling the reason a lot of the app situation is quiet right now is because they are preparing to make some big announcements in time for Windows 10 in terms of universal apps. I predict Instagram and other big names will have universal apps announced in time for Windows 10 to make a huge splash from the software side and if the hardware is good, that's actually a pretty decent combination.
How are you still optimistic?

I don't understand all the doom and gloom about facebook integration. We all knew those hubs were disappearing and WP was becoming more like android.

I'd probably go android but the only hardware I like is the GS6 edge but I hate touchwiz so I wouldn't switch.

I don't understand all the doom and gloom about facebook integration. We all knew those hubs were disappearing and WP was becoming more like android.

I'd probably go android but the only hardware I like is the GS6 edge but I hate touchwiz so I wouldn't switch.

The concern was that we'd be losing the integration that FB brought to the People hub--synced profile photos, phone numbers, birthdays, email addresses etc. I think it would have been a big deal to lose all that.

I finally made the switch (back) to Android from WP:

-Here Maps on Android works offline and even gives transit directions
-Office and OneNote on Android
-Can upload camera pictures to OneDrive automatically
-Cortana is being ported
-Can use Chrome which syncs between all my devices (I don't use IE on my desktop)
-Yahoo Fantasy app (using desktop view on IE was not fun)

I do miss the WP keyboard, but the Xperia one has its perks (the option to enter email addresses). Live Tiles and a cleaner interface will be missed too.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It is all the beautiful sun and scenery he gets.

Lol, but really, my iPad bores me to tears and android is a crap shoot. It can go from great to terrible with a single update or just as you install more apps. Or you don't get any updates at all. Performance is still a very real issue, even on super specced devices like my note 4.

I want to be on windows phone, like most people in this thread, but MS makes life hard for us.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The concern was that we'd be losing the integration that FB brought to the People hub--synced profile photos, phone numbers, birthdays, email addresses etc. I think it would have been a big deal to lose all that.

The only reason I even HAVE a Facebook account is so it would sync contacts when I bought my original Focus.

Lol, but really, my iPad bores me to tears and android is a crap shoot. It can go from great to terrible with a single update or just as you install more apps. Or you don't get any updates at all. Performance is still a very real issue, even on super specced devices like my note 4.

I want to be on windows phone, like most people in this thread, but MS makes life hard for us.
Not to say Android is not shit sometimes, but the last few iterations, Windows Phone is just as terrible couple that with shitty apps support and slowly gutting what make Windows Phone so attractive in the first place I just can't see myself coming back full time. I still use the 1020 for camera and miss Windows Phone eveeytime I use it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Not to say Android is not shit sometimes, but the last few iterations, Windows Phone is just as terrible.

Nope, listen, I had update 2 on a 930 and it was pure butter. Performance wise, it's a huge jump over the note 4. Granted, my nexus 7 with stock android is pretty smooth, but it's still not as good, plus the performance degradation that android suffers over time is real. I've had to reset all my android devices at one point or another to get back the smooth performance or good battery life.

Nope, listen, I had update 2 on a 930 and it was pure butter. Performance wise, it's a huge jump over the note 4. Granted, my nexus 7 with stock android is pretty smooth, but it's still not as good, plus the performance degradation that android suffers over time is real. I've had to reset all my android devices at one point or another to get back the smooth performance or good battery life.

8.1 update 2 is so delicious on this icon. My goodness, it feels like mango once again. I just don't like how the facebook app butchered my beautiful video of my Cozumel resort. It was heaven!!

Battery saver with only wifi on, my phone lasted 3 1/2 days...

NeOak

8.1 update 2 is so delicious on this icon. My goodness, it feels like mango once again. I just don't like how the facebook app butchered my beautiful video of my Cozumel resort. It was heaven!!

Battery saver with only wifi on, my phone lasted 3 1/2 days...

That is good for you two. But for the rest of us peasants that have to live with Update 1, the situation sucks.

So much for the Developer Preview program.

hadareud

The Translator
Will you be needing the "undercover app" for update 3? This is just silly, they have a dev preview program to get updates, and suddenly you need another program, as well?

I would think that the Insider app has replaced the dev preview for all intents and purposes.

The fact is, you can get the latest software and you can get it relatively soon after it's finished. Which, incidentally, is not the case for your common Android phone other than Nexus.

Does it really matter which exact preview program you have to be part of?

Paganmoon

I would think that the Insider app has replaced the dev preview for all intents and purposes.

The fact is, you can get the latest software and you can get it relatively soon after it's finished. Which, incidentally, is not the case for your common Android phone other than Nexus.

Does it really matter which exact preview program you have to be part of?

It matters, cause there's no consistent message from Microsoft. If it was "For windows 10 you need Windows Insider" sure, I'd buy it, but for 8.1 update 1 you need dev preview, for update 2 you need insider app, it just adds to the idea that Windows on Phones really has no overall idea of what it's doing and where it's going.

All in all, yeah it's most likely me being really jaded about the whole WP platform.

hadareud

The Translator
Not on the 1520. It throws you directly to Windows 10.

I tried.

That's bloody annoying.

It matters, cause there's no consistent message from Microsoft. If it was "For windows 10 you need Windows Insider" sure, I'd buy it, but for 8.1 update 1 you need dev preview, for update 2 you need insider app, it just adds to the idea that Windows on Phones really has no overall idea of what it's doing and where it's going.

All in all, yeah it's most likely me being really jaded about the whole WP platform.

Communication was never one of their strong points. But I can understand why they'd have a unified program for W10 that includes more than just phone, so the Insider stuff makes sense.

Top Bottom