• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
To be clear, there is no guarantee that you will get update 2 with the insider app. Some people got it, others got the horrible, largely unusable win10 beta right away.

Also, the Dev preview app did not give me update 2. I tried. So, really, there is no sure-fire way to get update 2, and that sucks, because it is so polished.

hadareud

The Translator
tuMgCQo.jpg

You can tell.

Doffen

Typo or are those devs Masochists?

From the official press release:

In addition to the new generation platform releases, the award winning and emotionally charged puzzle/adventure game will also be brought to iOS, Android and Windows Phone devices this holiday season, giving mobile and tablet gamers the chance to experience the unforgettable narrative anytime, anywhere.

hadareud

The Translator
At this point it's not too late to back out entirely, right? I uninstalled the app when I heard of all the issues with WP10 on the Icon/930.

Well, it depends how you look at it. Previously, that was the case (you could just uncheck the fast ring thingy in the insider app and you weren't bothered with any more updates).

It seems that's no longer the case. Now you'll be offered the W10 update after installing update 2, but obviously you don't need to actually download it.

Still, it will pop up every time you start your phone and you can't opt out anymore in the insider app. Unless you do a reset, that is.

joshschw

Some updated Windows 10 on tablet impressions:

Microsoft released a hotfix for the non-responsive notification, start, etc... It seems to have done the trick and makes the experience better, even though it's still fairly lousy. Why is the Notification slide out so UGLY? Also, it gets uglier if you try to customize it. I've settled on sort of a blueish color to it and it's ehhhh, but the best.

I moved the taskbar to the right side of screen in tablet mode. There was no indication I was able to do this, and after about 12 tries it finally went, and that's a big improvement, though I don't get why I need it at all. I do wish it would mirror itself and have start button and search on bottom right instead of top though.

On a whim I changed system scaling to 100% from default 125% and suddenly touch targets in Spartan are working again. Before there was no visual cue that I tapped a link and it took several attempts oftentimes to get anything going, or I'd long press and open in new tab. Now the visual cue is back and it just works when I tap. Glad it was just a bug.

Still needs an actual touch UI though, it's terrible. Also needs plugins, I can't use LastPass? I can't use the browser. (Metro IE didn't have either and it wasn't great, but they had an app, though I am thinking desktop usage here, and Spartan needs plugins...)

Back Button: This thing is a giant disaster. Sometimes it backs out of an app, sometimes it works? No idea. I was in Store Beta and hit screenshots, there was no way to go back to description, so I hit the back button and it... exits the app? Yeah, I don't get the back button at all.

Think this relates very heavily to the Mobile OS, so posting here :)

just keep trying to drag it over there, eventually it will go. Sorry that's about as technical as I can describe it.

Oh, that I knew, but the bar stays there even after leaving tablet mode. I misunderstood you then, figured you said it would go right only when tablet mode was on.

(A minor tip: It's easier to do if you move it in desktop mode)

toff74

I'm having a problem with the L920. It won't play ANY media type. I'm getting the message:

Warning: Video decoder not working

Now, I don't mind videos not working , but music won't play and the best of all my alarm sound doesn't play either.

I've tried rebooting and it works until it doesn't. I never know when its going to stop working.

I'm having a problem with the L920. It won't play ANY media type. I'm getting the message:

Warning: Video decoder not working

Now, I don't mind videos not working , but music won't play and the best of all my alarm sound doesn't play either.

I've tried rebooting and it works until it doesn't. I never know when its going to stop working.
My wife has similar problem with her 1020. Phone stop ringging , can't open media etc. I told her just restart it but it is getting to be really annoying as she missed several calls and messages yesterday. Her is a stock at&t version without dev preview.

Tomcat

Some updated Windows 10 on tablet impressions:

Microsoft released a hotfix for the non-responsive notification, start, etc... It seems to have done the trick and makes the experience better, even though it's still fairly lousy. Why is the Notification slide out so UGLY? Also, it gets uglier if you try to customize it. I've settled on sort of a blueish color to it and it's ehhhh, but the best.

I moved the taskbar to the right side of screen in tablet mode. There was no indication I was able to do this, and after about 12 tries it finally went, and that's a big improvement, though I don't get why I need it at all. I do wish it would mirror itself and have start button and search on bottom right instead of top though.

On a whim I changed system scaling to 100% from default 125% and suddenly touch targets in Spartan are working again. Before there was no visual cue that I tapped a link and it took several attempts oftentimes to get anything going, or I'd long press and open in new tab. Now the visual cue is back and it just works when I tap. Glad it was just a bug.

Still needs an actual touch UI though, it's terrible. Also needs plugins, I can't use LastPass? I can't use the browser. (Metro IE didn't have either and it wasn't great, but they had an app, though I am thinking desktop usage here, and Spartan needs plugins...)

Back Button: This thing is a giant disaster. Sometimes it backs out of an app, sometimes it works? No idea. I was in Store Beta and hit screenshots, there was no way to go back to description, so I hit the back button and it... exits the app? Yeah, I don't get the back button at all.

Think this relates very heavily to the Mobile OS, so posting here :)

Doesn't sound so bad if that's the only problems you have on touch. Hope for the best because at the end of the day I want to update my tablet to windows 10.

Paganmoon

My wife has similar problem with her 1020. Phone stop ringging , can't open media etc. I told her just restart it but it is getting to be really annoying as she missed several calls and messages yesterday. Her is a stock at&t version without dev preview.

Jupp, now mine's doing the same, didn't get my alarm this morning, and not getting any sound on notifications (SMS etc). Spotify works fine though.

Edit: if I go into "ringtones+sound" options, there's no sound when trying to preview the files.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Is this... is this some industry praise for WP?

While Windows was still ‘up there’ in terms of number of virus and malware he said that about 5% of global PCs were infected. “Windows is a much better operating system than the rest (iOS, OS X and Android) and Microsoft is tightening it up much more in the next version,” he said.

He added that Mac (OS X) and iOS was a huge target. “Windows engineers are easy to find, Mac not so. That only makes iOS and OS X attacks more costly. Criminals are obsessed with iOS and there are many, many vulnerabilities,” he said.

“You know how to protect your computers and devices – disconnect them from the internet!” he said.

He stated that Mobile was the new attack vector with stats showing 97% of users did mobile banking or some other activity that revealed passwords. “I don’t own a smartphone,” he said referring to an old Sony Ericson cell phone (that he has several in reserve). So far the only attack has been via rooted iPhones or over the lightning cable. See iTWire's comprehensive report here.

To quote Kaspersky from an earlier iTWire article “The most dangerous scenario is with iPhones. It is less probable because it is very difficult to develop malware for iPhones, because the operating system is closed to outside programmers. But every system has a vulnerability. If it happens—in the worst-case scenario, if millions of the devices are infected—there is no antivirus, because antivirus companies do not have any rights to develop true end-point security for Apple.

His comments on Android “More and more – millions of brutal attacks – not safe” and Windows Phone “So far very clean.”

toff74

Jupp, now mine's doing the same, didn't get my alarm this morning, and not getting any sound on notifications (SMS etc). Spotify works fine though.

Edit: if I go into "ringtones+sound" options, there's no sound when trying to preview the files.

Same here.

I'm on Update 2 (through the WP10 preview) and EE UK. Its so frustrating.

Paganmoon

Same here.

I'm on Update 2 (through the WP10 preview) and EE UK. Its so frustrating.

Actually think I managed to fix mine, since only notifications and ringtones don't work, figured might be due to Cortana and quiet hours (and being in Sweden, I don't have access to Cortana, gee thanks MS, u kno mai englis not så gutt), so switched region/phone language to English/US, enabled/disabled quiet hours, and sound worked, switched back sound still worked.

restarts and soft resets did not help.

Paganmoon

It's ridiculous that you have to go through that. I've never heard of those situations before

Seems to be a pretty rare issue though, not found much about it online, could be related to people who've had Cortana on their device/profile and then removed it, which means, the few who've tested it on their non-cortana region device.

Actually mine started doing that with update 2, so could be with the restore functions after the update, and having had Cortana once.

Still ridiculous though, but not common.

n64coder

I installed Windows Preview so that I can get 8.1 update 2. I chose the slow ring but I haven't seen any updates at all, even Windows 10. Are the updates only on the fast ring?

My phone is the 1020.

NeOak

The desktop app becomes a worse pile of shit with every new version

They keep making it so you can't see shit if it is in compact view. You want to see the picture in 7.3 that you could see in compact view with no problem in 7.2? Resize Skype to use 2/3rds of your screen.

Oh, and the desktop app likes to fucking crash if I host calls. The metro version is super stable compared to the desktop one.

I don't get why do they want to launch the OS this early, when it's clear it won't be fully complete until the year's end.

I understand their desire to deliver windows as a service so they can keep improving very fast, but I dunno about launching with the basics still lacking...I'd rather they made it a late release like 7 and 8, but launch with proper Onedrive, Skype, Edge releases, as well all legacy UI elements and apps replaced.

Top Bottom