• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
My 920 has really started to show it's age. Was trying to find a stop gap and a friend is going to give me their old 1020. Do you think this will suit my needs while I wait for new higher end models?

NeOak

My 920 has really started to show it's age. Was trying to find a stop gap and a friend is going to give me their old 1020. Do you think this will suit my needs while I wait for new higher end models?

If you were running out of memory while browsing, yeah

Otherwise, nope. You'll even find the slower camera speed a bit... jarring.

Paganmoon

IIRC the 1020 is basically the 920 chip with a better camera, so not faster.

toff74

Actually think I managed to fix mine, since only notifications and ringtones don't work, figured might be due to Cortana and quiet hours (and being in Sweden, I don't have access to Cortana, gee thanks MS, u kno mai englis not så gutt), so switched region/phone language to English/US, enabled/disabled quiet hours, and sound worked, switched back sound still worked.

restarts and soft resets did not help.

I unpinned and switched cortana off and still getting the problem. Its really unpredictable and all the media functions can stop at any time.

Needless to say i cant use my phone as my morning alarm anymore. So right now all I use the phone for is making and receiving calls, sending texts and basic web browsing. Hold on, I have a 10 year old nokia that'll do that job.

Paganmoon

I unpinned and switched cortana off and still getting the problem. Its really unpredictable and all the media functions can stop at any time.

Needless to say i cant use my phone as my morning alarm anymore. So right now all I use the phone for is making and receiving calls, sending texts and basic web browsing. Hold on, I have a 10 year old nokia that'll do that job.

Well, I got ahead of myself apparently, behavior's back this morning, switched again to the US and decided to stay there, worked like a charm to get sound back. But now 3 hours after switch, notification sounds are once again gone. No sound on SMS, no sound on alarms, can't play previews.
Spotify still works though so it's not all sounds.

Guess there's a reason Update 2 isn't available for all, maybe this "carriers approving updates" isn't such a bad idea after all? :)

José Mourinho;167487265 said:
I feel like I want to buy a Surface 3 but feel like it's a pointless purchase. Anybody used them?

We got them in work, and whilst they are very nice...I haven't found myself using it over the iPad Air 2.

hadareud

The Translator
kObAN6o.jpg

MznVEHs.jpg

TGRChWf.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
wait... so how will phones use Skype?

The Skype phone app is not the modern windows 8 version, so I imagine phones will ship with that version until the win10 version is ready.

IIRC the 1020 is basically the 920 chip with a better camera, so not faster.

It also has more RAM, but that's mainly used for the camera as well.

^^^^ Nice. Where did you see this?

I hate it when people post links or pictures with no context. It should be a bannable offense.

I hate it when people post links or pictures with no context. It should be a ban able offense.

It is a concept smartwatch by Nokia that was almost released. Microsoft shelved it after the acquisition, as they thought it overlapped with the Band..

The UI looks beautiful, but I still can't see a good case for buying a smartwatch. Also, it looks very similar to the Apple Watch, so I don´t know if Apple would have stayed quiet.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It is a concept smartwatch by Nokia that was almost released. Microsoft shelved it after the acquisition, as they thought it overlapped with the Band..

The UI looks beautiful, but I still can't see a good case for buying a smartwatch. Also, it looks very similar to the Apple Watch, so I don´t know if Apple would have stayed quiet.

Lol, Apple wouldn't say crap, it's a square watch, Apple didn't invent that. Plus, that looks a lot more like some android wear designs like the Sony one.

Lol, Apple wouldn't say crap, it's a square watch, Apple didn't invent that. Plus, that looks a lot more like some android wear designs like the Sony one.
I suppose so. I believe the most important question is if this product will reappear someday, that is if Microsoft is even interested in this market.

I could see it running a pared-down version of Windows 10 Mobile or IoT.

I suppose so. I believe the most important question is if this product will reappear someday, that is if Microsoft is even interested in this market.

I could see it running a pared-down version of Windows 10 Mobile or IoT.
I hipe so. I want a smartwatch so Ba buy the band was way to uncomfortable for me.

AnkitT

So, after having played with my lumia 730 for a couple of days, it seems like there are somehow lesser apps on the store than when i was on my 800 lol. Or maybe there are just lower quality apps now. At least im getting better battery life than on android though, so thats a plus.

hankster

caved in and bought 640. fuck 930 and its lack of glance.

joining the cheap lumia master race.
They are nice phones. Prefer the matte finish but concerned about durability now. Not something I would expect from a Lumia. Extra nice to have current updated software on a phone. That new settings menu is spectacular.

hankster

Was this just damage to the case?
Yep. My only guess is that it happened somehow when removing the back to install the SIM card. Plastic looks / feels like it should not have been so flimsy. It's thinnest over the buttons but I'd have thought the segment over the volume buttons would be the worst / most risk to crack, but it appears fine.

Yep. My only guess is that it happened somehow when removing the back to install the SIM card. Plastic looks / feels like it should not have been so flimsy. It's thinnest over the buttons but I'd have thought the segment over the volume buttons would be the worst / most risk to crack, but it appears fine.
I remember my att 635 black backplate being cheap and flimsy and didn't even fit all too well. Though my high gloss Nokia green back plate was far sturdier and hefty.

Paganmoon

After countless drops on all surfaces imaginable, my 1020's screen just shattered when it dropped on my carpet.

Android purchase is becoming more of an option now since I can't be using this for 6 months.

frontieruk

After countless drops on all surfaces imaginable, my 1020's screen just shattered when it dropped on my carpet.

Android purchase is becoming more of an option now since I can't be using this for 6 months.

I ordered a one+ yesterday something cheap to see me through to hopefully a hero phone for windows

Top Bottom