• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

MCD

ZylukRN.png

worth a try.

edit: I know it's old but still useful.

Thanks flowers for the reply. On the lightning bolt screen, it charges for a few minutes and then as soon as it has enough juice to go to the nokia screen it does so...and the cycle repeats as it can't boot up.

I'll try pressing the up button next time i'm in that situation. I'm trying to work out if the hardware is faulty or if it's a software issue.

It shouldn't boot out of the gear/lighting screen, AFAIK. At that point the phone is in the state for flashing the device's OS. It should sit there forever and charge at that point. You can reboot the device by holding power+vol-down after an hour or so.

joshschw

The only issues I've had with the lockscreen beta have been when I put it on the charger, and it acts up.

Otherwise there is that ever so slight delay after unlock while the screen is compressed but its been flawless otherwise. Lumia820

maeh2k

Looks like Android is doing well in the low-end: Motorola overtakes Nokia in India on strength of cheap, well-specced devices.

It grew sales from 379,310 in Q1 to 955,650 in Q2, after launching its well received Moto G, followed by the Moto X, priced at Rs 23,999, and Moto E, priced at Rs 6,999.

Nokia only managed 583,160 smartphones sales in Q1 2014, growing slightly to 633,720 in Q2 2014.

As soon as all Android OEMs offer devices comparable to the Moto G and E at comparable prices, Nokia/Microsoft is really fucked.

maeh2k

How do you guys (especially those of you with 1020s, 1520s, 930s) manage your photos? I think that's an area where there's a lot of room for improvement.

I'm not sure whether I should just take the photos out of my SkyDrive camera roll, which includes multiple versions for photos I've edited on the phone and photos I've already deleted on the phone. Looks like the photos in the camera roll are all full-resolution.
Or maybe I should use that Windows Phone sync tool. That one uses the 5MP photos in the version that's on the phone.

Is there a better way to do it by just importing the photos (maybe in both 5MP and full resolutions) like from a camera?

Do you use any software to organize the photos?

n64coder

How do you guys (especially those of you with 1020s, 1520s, 930s) manage your photos?

I just let them go to OneDrive and I'll create separate folders in the Public folder and move some there if I want to share them. I still have plenty of space on my phone so I haven't reached the point of needing to remove any yet.

MCD

I'm old fashioned, take pics, extract them via usb, and finally upload them to onedrive.

currently only two folders: family pics and trip to Japan 2013.

How do you guys (especially those of you with 1020s, 1520s, 930s) manage your photos? I think that's an area where there's a lot of room for improvement.

I'm not sure whether I should just take the photos out of my SkyDrive camera roll, which includes multiple versions for photos I've edited on the phone and photos I've already deleted on the phone. Looks like the photos in the camera roll are all full-resolution.
Or maybe I should use that Windows Phone sync tool. That one uses the 5MP photos in the version that's on the phone.

Is there a better way to do it by just importing the photos (maybe in both 5MP and full resolutions) like from a camera?

Do you use any software to organize the photos?
Since 8.1 I'm plugging my phone to USB and copying photos myself, as OneDrive auto uploads only gets the full res pics, and not the reframes.

I actually started a feedback about that on the user voice site, will search for it and post again ^^

n64coder

Since 8.1 I'm plugging my phone to USB and copying photos myself, as OneDrive auto uploads only gets the full res pics, and not the reframes.

I've cropped/adjusted a few pictures using Nokia Camera and I see those get auto-uploaded to OneDrive. Isn't that what you want?

I'm old fashioned, take pics, extract them via usb, and finally upload them to onedrive.

Now why don't you let it auto upload to OneDrive?

I enjoy reading the Windows Phone Blog (which is now Windows Blog). There was a recommendation to use NextGen Reader so I decided to try it out. It uses Feedly and asks me to choose a method (twitter, facebook, microsoft, etc) to login. I chose Microsoft and I get a desktop page (it's really small). Is that a Feedly or a Microsoft issue? I went back and tried the other options. All of the others were optimized for mobile except for Microsoft.

n64coder

Yes XD

Have you set up for max quality in photo uploads? I only get the full res version now, uncropped and unframed.

Yes, I'm setup for Best Quality for auto-upload. In the camera settings, I have 5MP & 34MP setting.

Mind you, I haven't done a lot of cropping/adjusting. Just a couple and they both showed up in my OneDrive folder. I tend to do very basic stuff with the camera.

I have been using OnePlus for couple days. I probably will go back to my 1020 when update hit. I really miss the is simplicity of Windows Phone. Camera is probably what I miss the most especially zoom to reframe. That said Android just feel like really refine OS, anything you can think of there usually support for it. CyanogenMod is nice and clean but I still prefer Windows Phone.

Thing that I will miss though when I come back are the apps. Not the quantities but the quality. Apps on Android are just way better than Windows Phone counterpart from Spotify to Instagram.

Yes, I'm setup for Best Quality for auto-upload. In the camera settings, I have 5MP & 34MP setting.

Mind you, I haven't done a lot of cropping/adjusting. Just a couple and they both showed up in my OneDrive folder. I tend to do very basic stuff with the camera.

Same settings as me :(

I also mostly take un zoomed photos, which is why this behaviour is bad, because I have to scrutinize which ones should have zoom and replace them on my camera roll folder...

Back to my 1020 rather than my 520. Also went to 2 rows rather than 3 and the transition animations seem so much smoother. Can't wait to get the official 8.1 along with Cyan.

n64coder

Same settings as me :(

I also mostly take un zoomed photos, which is why this behaviour is bad, because I have to scrutinize which ones should have zoom and replace them on my camera roll folder...

Can you list the exact steps you're doing to take a picture? I'll try again and confirm that I get it uploaded or not.

I take pictures normally, no zooming or anything like that. I have modified a few pictures using Nokia Camera to crop them. The original & cropped pictures both get uploaded.
I'm using a Lumia 1020 running 8.1 preview, black update.

Can you list the exact steps you're doing to take a picture? I'll try again and confirm that I get it uploaded or not.

I take pictures normally, no zooming or anything like that. I have modified a few pictures using Nokia Camera to crop them. The original & cropped pictures both get uploaded.
I'm using a Lumia 1020 running 8.1 preview, black update.

I take a picture with any amount of zoom. I don't edit the photo in any way whatsoever, only the full res photo with any zoom gets uploaded.

I take a picture with any zoom, before my phone uploads it, i use the Nokia camera app to zoom in. When the phone upload it, only the original full res picture gets uploaded. I even turned wifi off to make sure the phone wouldn't upload it while I was editing.

I take a picture with any zoom, wait for my phone to upload it, then I use the Nokia camera app to zoom in. The phone never tries to update it again.

And some other cases that have bothered me too: I take a picture outdoors, go to a place with crappy slow wifi or some restricted network (proxy), and for some reason the picture doesn't finish uploading, it appears as an error, abd then it goes away, the phone never tries to update it again.

In summary, the auto backups are essentially useless for me after 8.1, because it's not reliable that it's going to upload all my pics, so I have to backup on my own or manually check which is even worse.

Paganmoon

Already got 8.1 DP on my 1020, but I really really want Cyan, I've just got it into my head that all my troubles with battery life and resuming will disappear as soon as cyan is installed.

Setting myself up for disappointment.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
My 920 is in it's last legs. People have trouble listening to me during calls. I think the mic is screwed up. Should I buy the 930 now or wait until the end of the year for better hardware? I am on AT&T if that matters.

Already got 8.1 DP on my 1020, but I really really want Cyan, I've just got it into my head that all my troubles with battery life and resuming will disappear as soon as cyan is installed.

Setting myself up for disappointment.

Cyan feels a little better than the DP for battery life on my 925, but if you think it's horrible now it won't suddenly make it good.

JuanMR2

My 920 is in it's last legs. People have trouble listening to me during calls. I think the mic is screwed up. Should I buy the 930 now or wait until the end of the
year for better hardware? I am on AT&T if that matters.

I have the exact same problem with my 920, I have to switch to speaker phone otherwise they can't hear me. It started happening a few weeks ago.

Nero3000

So we didn't get a Music update last week did we?

Anyone else have the issue where a song on repeat will just stop and wont restart without killing the app?

My 920 is in it's last legs. People have trouble listening to me during calls. I think the mic is screwed up. Should I buy the 930 now or wait until the end of the year for better hardware? I am on AT&T if that matters.

Rumours are that there won't be better hardware this year - more midrange 830/730.

Unless you are willing to wait until April next year...the 930/1525 is the high end this year....supposedly.

The prices for Qi Wireless chargers these days are insane. I ordered one from Hong Kong on ebay for 5 bucks, including shipping. It actually makes me afraid to use it, because I don't want it to blow up my phone (gotta test it on my Lumia first!). Now I went on ebay again, because I might buy a second one for my desk at work and now they have one of the little puck shaped chargers for €3.03, incl. shipping.

Meanwhile Nokia still wants 50 bucks for theirs.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The prices for Qi Wireless chargers these days are insane. I ordered one from Hong Kong on ebay for 5 bucks, including shipping. It actually makes me afraid to use it, because I don't want it to blow up my phone (gotta test it on my Lumia first!). Now I went on ebay again, because I might buy a second one for my desk at work and now they have one of the little puck shaped chargers for €3.03, incl. shipping.

Meanwhile Nokia still wants 50 bucks for theirs.

Watch out, I've heard some pretty bad things about those chargers. From working only accidentally to just plain dying after a few weeks.

Watch out, I've heard some pretty bad things about those chargers. From working only accidentally to just plain dying after a few weeks.

I can't only expect so much for that kind of money and I'm realistic about it. As long as it doesn't kill my phone, I'm fine with trying it. If it works, good, if not, then it won't hurt my wallet either. I was really just curious about the price and I'll definitely open the new charger and see what's inside. What I am surprised about is the lack of vertical charging stands, though. Everyone and their mother produces these pads and little pucks, but I've only seen a Qi wireless stand from Nokia and Tylt.

M4aKsta.jpg

4yK1AV2.jpg

The Nokia stand is €39 and the Tylt is €63. What the hell.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I don't think there is a version of the 930 that supports LTE on at&t.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I can't only expect so much for that kind of money and I'm realistic about it. As long as it doesn't kill my phone, I'm fine with trying it. If it works, good, if not, then it won't hurt my wallet either. I was really just curious about the price and I'll definitely open the new charger and see what's inside. What I am surprised about is the lack of vertical charging stands, though. Everyone and their mother produces these pads and little pucks, but I've only seen a Qi wireless stand from Nokia and Tylt.

M4aKsta.jpg

4yK1AV2.jpg

The Nokia stand is €39 and the Tylt is €63. What the hell.
I have the Nokia model and it's one of the main reasons I want to stay in WP's camp. The way it doubles as an alarm clock is amazing.

I have the Nokia model and it's one of the main reasons I want to stay in WP's camp. The way it doubles as an alarm clock is amazing.

I'm definitely not going to buy another phone without wireless charging again. It's just that good. I also wish it was somehow possible to integrate the wireless pads into the furniture, like my nightstand. There's a really well made video that shows one way to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZo2pA0Qc9U

But I'm probably too afraid to break the top layer.

Also, a user on XDA reviewed some of the cheaper Qi wireless pads.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/goo...udget-wireless-charger-showdown-5-qi-t2676249

They really don't look that bad.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm definitely not going to buy another phone without wireless charging again. It's just that good. I also wish it was somehow possible to integrate the wireless pads into the furniture, like my nightstand. There's a really well made video that shows one way to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZo2pA0Qc9U

But I'm probably too afraid to break the top layer.

Also, a user on XDA reviewed some of the cheaper Qi wireless pads.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/goo...udget-wireless-charger-showdown-5-qi-t2676249

They really don't look that bad.
The latest Qi specs support charging distances of up to 4.5 centimetres and they are backwards compatible with available devices up to 3.5 centimetres or so. This is going to make integration so much easier. Considering that the manufacturer of my bedroom furniture offers some of its products with integrated iDevice craddles, it's just a matter of time for Qi to become more popular.

JaggedSac

Things are getting there, albeit slowly. Qi is updating their charger specs to allow charging without direct contact with the plate. Something like an inch or two away.

Edit: Damn, beaten. I read too slow.

JaggedSac

Something's downloading on my 620 (with dev preview) that wasn't there before a few hours ago. Mabye Cyan, maybe the next dev update.

Woops, should've refreshed. You have it installed already?

Been spinning gears for a while now. I have a good bit of stuff on my phone so I think that is the reason. Did it with the last one as well.

Top Bottom