• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I have the official 8.1 cyan update for my daughter's 520 and performance is pretty bad. Camera seems better though and now I can move the games to SD.

Depends on the store. If you show an AT&T phone they do it for free.

If you show an unlocked phone, you may get charged for it.

I never have paid for the SIM though, so YMMV.
Well I'm definitely going to be using an unlocked phone. In fact, I'd like to see if they'll give me a nano-SIM before the 1520 is delivered so I can't get going on it right away.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Main UI performance or apps performance?

You know, I didn't test the games. General ui performance was terrible. I put a custom background and had to remove it because it was plagued with the issue where you hit the home button and all you get is the blank tiles with the picture.

I'll give it another go this afternoon, but I was mainly updating apps and transferring apps to SD and it was chugging. The camera app lagged, but the pics seemed noticeably better. Cortana lagged a bit in her animations. Notification center worked fine.

It honestly felt a lot like the beta feels on my 1020, which is disappointing. No crashes yet though, so more stable. I'm happy she gets Cortana and apps on SD is absolutely necessary on that phone, but I'm concerned that the sluggishness will bother her in the long term and she won't want to play with it as much.

MCD

If it gets worse, try a hard reset. It's sad to hear sluggish performance on WP but there is a small chance GDR1 will remedy that.

Looks like someone found HTC One M8 for WP pictures on Verizon servers.

verizon_m8_windows_phone_leak.jpg

Feeling a little desperate for a new phone--is the One solid hardware vs the 930/Icon, or even the 925 (current phone)?

verizon_m8_windows_phone_leak.jpg

Feeling a little desperate for a new phone--is the One solid hardware vs the 930/Icon, or even the 925 (current phone)?

Very comparable to the 930/Icon. Both 5 inch 1080 screens, both 2GB of RAM, either the same chipset or the One might be the 801 chipset, but the specs for those two sets are pretty much identical IIRC.

Icon probably has a better camera and Qi charging.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I hope it carries the 801 chip, So that battery life remains excellent. The biggest consideration any of you need to have about the phone is the camera. If it's the same exact module as the M8, it's disastrous, game changing bad. Do not consider it unless you never take photos. Everything else about the m8 is top shelf.

KageMaru

I hope it carries the 801 chip, So that battery life remains excellent. The biggest consideration any of you need to have about the phone is the camera. If it's the same exact module as the M8, it's disastrous, game changing bad. Do not consider it unless you never take photos. Everything else about the m8 is top shelf.

Yeah the M8 would easily rank up there with the best phones for me if it wasn't for the shit camera.

Karish

Just came back to my 928 after spending some time with Galaxy S5. WP > Android. This is my first time using it since 8.1. Great changes.

Still have not been able to find a Twitter app I love though. Any recommendations?

Paganmoon

Just came back to my 928 after spending some time with Galaxy S5. WP > Android. This is my first time using it since 8.1. Great changes.

Still have not been able to find a Twitter app I love though. Any recommendations?

My go to one for WP is MeTweets. Works great for me, but I'm not a heavy user.

maeh2k

Not sure about current apps. Haven't used twitter on the phone much lately. I'm using the official client. However, The Windows Phone version of Tweetium looks very promising: http://www.wpcentral.com/sneak-peek-tweetium-windows-phone-81

Tweetium is pretty good on Windows. A universal app for both Windows and Windows Phone that syncs read states sounds like a great idea. Haven't tried it yet, but I definitely will.

Nero3000

Using the Nokia Software Recovery tool.

It says it will update to 8.1 (or the version string that matches the DP8.1). WIll this also install Cyan.

(want to pass the phone on to a relative with proper software)

EDIT: Nevermind, it installed 8.0.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Using the Nokia Software Recovery tool.

It says it will update to 8.1 (or the version string that matches the DP8.1). WIll this also install Cyan.

(want to pass the phone on to a relative with proper software)

EDIT: Nevermind, it installed 8.0.

You downgraded? should have waited till next week. 8.1 Cyan will go live for preview users.

maeh2k

I have to say the camera experience with the 930 is truly amazing. The picture quality is great, the camera UI is great, and additional apps like Nokia Storyteller and Nokia Creative Studio as well as all the lens apps like Cinemagraph are well integrated.

When I compare that to what you get with some of the latest Sony Xperia Z phones (like my sisters Z1 Compact), the Nokia is simply in another league.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I have to say the camera experience with the 930 is truly amazing. The picture quality is great, the camera UI is great, and additional apps like Nokia Storyteller and Nokia Creative Studio as well as all the lens apps like Cinemagraph are well integrated.

When I compare that to what you get with some of the latest Sony Xperia Z phones (like my sisters Z1 Compact), the Nokia is simply in another league.

Yeah, Sony makes decent performers, but the software department is quite lacking, even with the odd AR apps. Nokia's cameras and software makes them amazing value.

K444WSR

My 1020's started developing a problem. Not sure if it's the battery or what.
Basically if I let the battery die out completely, it gets stuck in an endless boot cycle of the charging icon and the nokia logo. The only way to get it working again is to use nokia's recovery software and flash it but this deletes everything on the phone.

Anyone encountered this and found a more permanent solution.

I should mention my insurance company provided this replacement after I cracked the screen on my launch one.

Basically if I let the battery die out completely, it gets stuck in an endless boot cycle of the charging icon and the nokia logo. The only way to get it working again is to use nokia's recovery software and flash it but this deletes everything on the phone.

I should mention my insurance company provided this replacement after I cracked the screen on my launch one.

If this happens, don't flash the phone. Plug it in. As it boots go to that lighting bolt screen (hold vol-up button). Charge it while that screen is on. You should be fine.

K444WSR

If this happens, don't flash the phone. Plug it in. As it boots go to that lighting bolt screen (hold vol-up button). Charge it while that screen is on. You should be fine.

Thanks flowers for the reply. On the lightning bolt screen, it charges for a few minutes and then as soon as it has enough juice to go to the nokia screen it does so...and the cycle repeats as it can't boot up.

I'll try pressing the up button next time i'm in that situation. I'm trying to work out if the hardware is faulty or if it's a software issue.

Never happened to me, but have you tried force resetting the phone when it's stuck on the loop? (hold volume down + power)

Fitbit finally releases an official app that allows syncing which I have been waiting forever and day now for. But alas now I have to wait for the Cyan update to come out for my phone (L1020). Hurry up AT&T! :(

Top Bottom