• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

derExperte

http://www.neowin.net/news/download-windows-phone-81-update-1-developer-preview-right-now

Update: Folks looks like there are two updates going out. The first one, to version 12400.899, is not GDR1/Update 1 but rather a smaller update that brings all Dev Preview devices up to date. This update was previously stopped due to issues related to BitLocker but now it seems it's going out to everybody, The second one, to version 14147.180 IS Update 1 and brings the new features mentioned above. If you only got the first one don't despair yet, the update is still spreading through servers.

The latest Qi specs support charging distances of up to 4.5 centimetres and they are backwards compatible with available devices up to 3.5 centimetres or so. This is going to make integration so much easier. Considering that the manufacturer of my bedroom furniture offers some of its products with integrated iDevice craddles, it's just a matter of time for Qi to become more popular.

But who knows when the latest spec will be available in any charging plate, let alone the cheap ones.

kazinova

Spin, gears, SPIN!!!

(This always takes a terrifying amount of time)

Started the install 30min ago, I have a one hour meeting to go to. It better be done when I get back. OR ELSE....!?

I'm on 14147.180

Can see apps corner in settings, the new messaging options (select and merge), can't for the life of me understand how to create live folders, tried long press on a tile, tried long press on a part of screen with nothing. Can't seem to find an app for it either.

Move one tile over the other.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
That live tile native folder support looks soo clean and gorgeous on 1080p display. Small touches and animation like this makes me adore Windows Phone so much more.

Btw Cortana still doesnt work In Canada. Anyone else?

BeforeU

Folders are going to have me rethink my entire home screen.

lol same

How can I know which version I'm running at the moment?

Is your device registered in Developer Preview program?

anyways to check OS version anytime, just to go to setting>about and click more info

I believe the latest update version is 8.10.14147.180

Folders are really well implemented, I just have no use for that at this point.

I have 5 different email accounts, so now it looks better with the folder for all the email tiles.

Lucius86

Banned
Really liking the folders implementation - clean, fluid, simple. Very impressed.

Do the app icons still get notifications in a folder? Not had one yet (unless someone would like to tweet me @lukecjdavis for a tester).

Really liking the folders implementation - clean, fluid, simple. Very impressed.

Do the app icons still get notifications in a folder? Not had one yet (unless someone would like to tweet me @lukecjdavis for a tester).
Yes, they do (or at least they're supposed to. Haven't updated yet, the wifi is acting all screwy at the office this morning)

BeforeU

It does but sorry I don't use Twitter lol

Live tile icons look too small on my 920.

Yeah I kinda figured it wouldn't look as great as it does on 1080p display.

about 95% sure they do

I have 5 different email accounts, so now it looks better with the folder for all the email tiles.

one of the few reasons I used the small tiles will now be null and void.

Special C

I'm definitely not going to buy another phone without wireless charging again. It's just that good. I also wish it was somehow possible to integrate the wireless pads into the furniture, like my nightstand. There's a really well made video that shows one way to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZo2pA0Qc9U

But I'm probably too afraid to break the top layer.

Also, a user on XDA reviewed some of the cheaper Qi wireless pads.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/goo...udget-wireless-charger-showdown-5-qi-t2676249

They really don't look that bad.

Wireless charging would be better for me if I could get my stupid cat to stop crawling across the bedstand and knocking my phone around.

Awesome my L1020 just finished the update and im loving it. Now lets see how long till Nokia/AT&T release Cyan for the dev preview. I want to be able to sync my FitBit to my phone! :)

Folders ain't working too great for me on the 620. It all moves around at single digit frames per second.

The phone might be doing some heavy lifting underneath for apps. See if it's still chugging after an hour. It'd be really disappointing if the lowerend phones get low fps

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm really close to going back to the 1020 as a daily driver, but performance and battery life are huge concerns. I'll see how these updates affect the phone.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
the live folders are awesome
Folders ain't working too great for me on the 620. It all moves around at single digit frames per second.
yeah my 620 was slow at moving icons to create folders at first too. it is better now after about 30 or so minutes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ok, live folders are pretty damn sweet. Still readable even as a small size icon, including any notification badges. So eg I now have one small tile with facebook and twitter pins inside and I can easily see if I have any notifications and then just open the app I want. Likewise calendar/weather/alarm clock/battery apps make a nice group to put at the top of the screen for glancing at quickly. I've now compacted my start screen nicely to have most things in view at once. I might even switch back to 4 columns instead of 6, but I'll wait until I get my 930 to see if the slightly larger screen lets me stay at 6.

What else is new in update 1? Still playing with cortana but not sure how useful it'll be - I really only use siri and google now to set simple cooking timers and alarms at the moment

Yes they do :)

edit: ooh, you can even resize app tiles inside a live folder. So you can have a larger one for live tile data display, or a small one for a simple badge/number type notification. Very nice. Eg for a mid-size live folder, you have a grid of 9 little tiles inside. A small tile takes up 1x1, or a medium takes up 2x2. So you can make all kinds of combos now.

edit2: boo, it doesn't let you lay them out how you want - if you make any mid-sized ones it'll scroll them in and out of view regularly. Shame. Oh well maybe they'll let you do that in a later update

Nero3000

oh wow...the new facebook app is very nice, smooth and nice transitions...if only i used facebook more.

Hope twitter gets a similar makeover.

oh wow...the new facebook app is very nice, smooth and nice transitions...if only i used facebook more.

Hope twitter gets a similar makeover.

Twitter updates their app way too infrequently.

-----------

Installing update....the gears!

Terrifying every time

kharma45

Cortana UK also sucks. She don't do anything for me. Just constant web searches.

Not looking forward to hearing the new voice either. I hope MS chance their mind and bring us Jen.

Folders implementation is really impressive. The animations are great.

Currently experiencing an almost shocking improvement in IE perf as well.

Paganmoon

the live folders are awesome
yeah my 620 was slow at moving icons to create folders at first too. it is better now after about 30 or so minutes.

Right arter an update the phone is reinstalling alot of apps, probably what makes it chugg

The conspiracy theorists in me imagines some webdevs willfully break pages when the user-agent is IE...

Only half kidding

Why the hell does the WP version of Bing Sport have less football teams/leagues (possibly other sports too) than the desktop version? :-S

Updated my 1020 with GDDR1.

folders are really nice, but yet again they are not performing too well on my phone when in edit mode (But when using it's much better)

Damn, folders are really awesome. Ms needs to bring it to W8/9 too!

And after a while the hiccups I had while editing them are seemingly gone.

Top Bottom