• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Finally caved and went for the developer preview, got tired of waiting for the final thing to roll out. So far, I like what they're doing. The action center is great, but why the hell is there not an option to toggle mobile data on/off on there? It's like the dev team needs to find a way to half-ass every great thing they try to add. Let's hope it finds its way into the final release. My 520 also has trouble with the Photos tile: every time I open the start menu the photo disappears for a second or two before popping back in.

The new Xbox Music is horrible, too. Are there any decent music apps out there, or does MS still hold the monopoly?

Finally caved and went for the developer preview, got tired of waiting for the final thing to roll out. So far, I like what they're doing. The action center is great, but why the hell is there not an option to toggle mobile data on/off on there? It's like the dev team needs to find a way to half-ass every great thing they try to add. Let's hope it finds its way into the final release. My 520 also has trouble with the Photos tile: every time I open the start menu the photo disappears for a second or two before popping back in.

The new Xbox Music is horrible, too. Are there any decent music apps out there, or does MS still hold the monopoly?

It's pretty highly desired at the user-voice site. I'd hope devs/PMs are taking notice.

heh

Don't ask Microsoft, he won't listen to you, the basic function of a simple feedback for a few years only add, make yourself tired. Systems on one hand and 4 years are half the beautification and the interface is ugly as **** and never Landscaping, is slow as a turtle do looks like Microsoft phone system. We discard WP of it all software including Microsoft Windows and Office are abandoned, we are into Apple or Google's embrace of, and only they treat consumers as God, arrogant Microsoft to ****, treat consumers Microsoft undead difficult, Microsoft will soon be the next Kodak!

Nero3000

hmm the Verge gave the 930 the same score (7.0) as the icon even though it comes with 8.better software and apps.

At least its not lower...

UK Cortana sounds is a bit shit.

YV7ZAqX.png

I guess that explains the shittyness.

Valkyria

Banned
lol same

Is your device registered in Developer Preview program?

anyways to check OS version anytime, just to go to setting>about and click more info

I believe the latest update version is 8.10.14147.180

I have 5 different email accounts, so now it looks better with the folder for all the email tiles.

Thanks, I'm not on the developers preview. I am right now at 8.10.12397.895.

JaggedSac

This tweet from Tom Warren made me chuckle.

This is amazing. Cortana in the UK lets you say “where’s the nearest ruby murray?” or “Get Aaron on the dog and bone.” Life is complete now

I have no idea what it means, but British slang is humorous to me.

'fantasy ferret' used to do Yahoo Fantasy. I haven't used Yahoo in a season or two, but the store indicates it still handles Yahoo Fantasy sports.

it wasn't the greatest of apps, but did the job.

f0lken

I love folders, whish there was a way to record your screen for showing off in those share your home screen threads

derExperte

Folders are 100% smooth on my 620 (though I haven't tried creating really big ones), I just wish the animation would be a bit shorter, it's almost too fancy.

Ape

Banned
Still no Yahoo fantasy football app...

I distinctly remember last year thinking to myself "it's ok because next year I should have an app for my league."

Fuck.

I do wish the folder live tiles would adapt to the amount of apps that are in the folder. For instance, if I have only 2-3 apps in the folder, there shouldn't be more than a few "empty" tiles if I'm using the large tile size. Use that space!

Otherwise, I love them. There are a lot of apps that I wouldn't mind using a large or medium size tile with to get the extra info, but I didn't want to use the screen space. Folders kinda solves that, albeit with the addition of one extra "tap" required.

Xbox Music still sucks. Am I supposed to see that the app was updated, or were the "improvements" are part of Update 1 itself?

Ape

Banned
Why not follow a good or interesting sport instead?

Like what? Socc.. er... Fùtbol? I follow that. Hockey? Check. Basketball... yup.

But I guess you're right. I should really start to look into those Indian Cricket leagues. I'm probably missing out.

Oh, there are broken tags on NeoGAF mobile here. Are 8.1 browsers okay? Tags spill into the rest of the page and there is a 0 at the bottom.

I'm on the latest update. Is Cortana actually in it? Search is just like before...

In Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1, Cortana is available in the following countries as a fully working beta:

United States
United Kingdom
China

and as alpha in:

Canada
Australia
India

Never in a million years would I expect Microsoft to travel back in time for features and add Bluetooth PAN internet sharing.

Unsure if I will get kicked off at some point in the future, but it seems I can tether my nexus 7 without hitting the tmobile tethering plan upsell page!

Nero3000

Was thinking about supposed smartband and mocked something up. Its rough around the edges.

First the design is like a band, uniform all the way round, with all the sensors. It is like the popular iWatch concept but to be worn on the inside of the wrist like shown below.

Hardware:

To be worn like:

Glance screen:
cn56Wgp.png

Heart rate monitor (can easily imagine a step counter/GPS etc.):
0ZzgOju.png

Cortana:
2EClufA.png

pHKRZPC.png

Incoming Calls:
0XLbA60.png

(scrollable) messages:
Ls5xSwT.png

Voice reply:
KKRhlSZ.png

LOL. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. They should just dump Trident and go with the "standard".

It's funny how the IE team is all about following open standards and complaining about browser engines that bog down the internet with their device specific implementations.

Top Bottom