• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Nero3000

artist impression renders:

gQUXtph.jpg

Wonder how accurate the renders are at portraying the bezel. From those mock-ups, it looks like the actual frame is almost invisible from the front. From the front, my 830 has the black area around the actual display area, but then a bit of the frame as well. These mockups look a lot thinner.

KageMaru

If it turns out that Verizon doesn't get these phones, then I'm pretty much immediately jumping ship to Cricket.

Wait, it's been reported that Verizon isn't getting either phone?! Please don't be true, I don't want to switch carriers to stay on WP. How can MS expect to have any shot by not launching on the biggest carrier in the states?

joshschw

Wait, it's been reported that Verizon isn't getting either phone?! Please don't be true, I don't want to switch carriers to stay on WP. How can MS expect to have any shot by not launching on the biggest carrier in the states?

Maybe because the "biggest carrier" end of lifed their exclusive flagship after fifteen minutes?

hankster

This is back shell #2 for my 640 XL. I'm not sure how it happened. Guessing my son was playing with it? But I'm thinking maybe Microsoft may have went cheaper on the materials for this phone.

Looking at the photo can see a chip on the lower edge of the glass also. Gonna have to have a chat with that boy....

This is back shell #2. I'm not sure how it happened. Guessing my son was playing with it? But I'm thinking maybe Microsoft may have went cheaper on the materials for this phone.

Looking at the photo can see a chip on the lower edge of the glass also. Gonna have to have a chat with that boy....
640? If so, that's not a chip, it's an intentional notch out of the glass. Probably for the mic I guess.

KageMaru

Maybe because the "biggest carrier" end of lifed their exclusive flagship after fifteen minutes?

The blame on that could be put on Microsoft almost as much as Verizon.

Microsoft did little to no advertising for the Icon. The figure heads at the the company also never made a real effort to repair the damage by the whole Kin fiasco. Just like they did with AT&T, they need to provide bonus incentives for employees to push WP and work with the company on training the workforce to not talk customers into other phone platforms.

WP10 is pretty much their last shot for relevancy in the mobile space. They'll never truly be competitive with Android and IOS, but they could at least work to provide an acceptable alternative. They aren't going to succeed by half assing yet another launch. Work with all carriers, throw around the money we know you have to provide incentives for employees, actually market the damn platform and hardware HEAVILY. When they lack the brand awareness in this business compared to the competition, they should be marketing 2-3 times more aggressively. When Samsung launches a new phone, I can't get away from the advertising. MS needs to be even more aggressive and widespread than that, especially if they are as confident in the platform as they say they are.

I love WP, but it's amazing how incompetent the company has been in managing it in the past and the same looks to be true for the future apparently. I was hoping this would change with new management, but it looks like I was wrong there.

Going to suck being forced to move onto Android when this platform is truly dead in 2-3 years.

hankster

José Mourinho;172935052 said:
640? If so, that's not a chip, it's an intentional notch out of the glass. Probably for the mic I guess.
sorry it's an XL - will add that to original post to avoid future confusion.

i don't like the speaker placement.
It's way better than the 820 I had, which had the speaker on the bottom edge. And the 930 too, where it's on back lower left side. Both positions are prone to get getting covered whilst being held, muffling sound. Much rather have it out of the way.

It's like on the Surface. Gets rid of the Microsoft name - I think that is a better look.
Here here.

It's like on the Surface. Gets rid of the Microsoft name - I think that is a better look.

If Microsoft doesn't believe that the logo by itself is enough, they should move the company name to the back. I would gladly take that instead of that blemish at the front of the phone.

I mean, the Windows logo in the bottom should be enough to recognize it..

hankster

If Microsoft doesn't believe that the logo by itself is enough, they should move the company name to the back. I would gladly take that instead of that blemish at the front of the phone.

I mean, the Windows logo in the bottom should be enough to recognize it..
Subtle is not in the Microsoft design guide...

dLMN8R

Why does that one thing matter so much? Genuinely curious. I've never used a phone with on-screen buttons but capacitive buttons on my 920 and 830 are such a f'n pain in the ass (especially when I hand my phone to someone) that I have to believe on-screen buttons can't be that bad.

Why does that one thing matter so much? Genuinely curious. I've never used a phone with on-screen buttons but capacitive buttons on my 920 and 830 are such a f'n pain in the ass (especially when I hand my phone to someone) that I have to believe on-screen buttons can't be that bad.

Purchased a 635 and I really don't like them. Cutting off valuable space on the screen and apps that have controls at the bottom (most windows phone apps) now have a double stacked set of onscreen controls that I've found very irritating.

I get why onscreen buttons were added as an option for WP devices, but shouldn't have to deal with it on a high-end device. I'm not saying for sure "I'm out" on one of these devices, but this is a pretty big negative in my book and it's not like Cityman specs are doing laps around the 1520.

Heretic

Purchased a 635 and I really don't like them. Cutting off valuable space on the screen and apps that have controls at the bottom (most windows phone apps) now have a double stacked set of onscreen controls that I've found very irritating.

I get why onscreen buttons were added as an option for WP devices, but shouldn't have to deal with it on a high-end device. I'm not saying for sure "I'm out" on one of these devices, but this is a pretty big negative in my book and it's not like Cityman specs are doing laps around the 1520.

Not to mention accidentally hitting the Back, Windows, or Search button while typing.

Hey folks, so since Samsung and/or Telus have seemingly dropped support for my Samsung Ativ S, what are my options for upgrading to 8.1 (if any)?

Personally I dislike that the phones have a large bezel at the bottom, taking up all that prime button space, and then they stick grim on screen buttons in there that you have to swipe about to get at.

Deal with them on my mum's 640 when I use it and just think it makes the device feel like exactly what it is, entry level. Much prefer the aesthetics and the implementation of hardware buttons. Shrug.

PG2G

Haven't ever used on even buttons on Windows Phone 8 but most of the complaints seem implementation related. Hopefully they can address these issues in the W10 implementation, which should hopefully be better thought out than the after thought it appears to have been in WP8

Top Bottom