• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

kazinova

I'm loving the current build. I hope they just continue to make the UI consistant, eliminate bugs and make it faster.

W10 makes my 1520 feels like a brand new phone.

I want a toke of whatever the people more than happy with the current 10 mobile build are smoking. I'm not being harsh, it's not good, but at this stage it's not really supposed to be.

Treo360

I'm loving the current build. I hope they just continue to make the UI consistant, eliminate bugs and make it faster.

W10 makes my 1520 feels like a brand new phone.

Same, a few bugs here and there but definitely worthy as an everyday driver for my uses. I hope the next build doesn't break what's working so far.

Windows 8 releases in the state we all know it was.
Tom Warren at the Verge gives it an 8.8 score.

Windows 10 releases in the state we all know it is.

jYw2Gn8.jpg

You can't explain that.

Nero3000

José Mourinho;173239083 said:
I want a toke of whatever the people more than happy with the current 10 mobile build are smoking. I'm not being harsh, it's not good, but at this stage it's not really supposed to be.

Can't someone be happy with the current build with the understanding of that's where it is supposed to be?

theDeeDubs

Not sure if the messaging app was updated, but I can now send and receive pics through sms messenger now. That was driving me crazy.

I installed windows 10 on my phone because I'm an idiot. Now the glance screen updated and became incompatible or something? Glance still works but I can't find the settings anywhere. Anyone know what's up? [edit] got to the glance settings menu with the sysapp pusher app

kharma45

jYw2Gn8.jpg

You can't explain that.

Expecting The Verge review scores to make sense is a futile thing. His video review sounded very positive. The only issue really that he made note of was Edge and the odd bug here and there.

The new W10 twitter app is a disgrace.

Why even fucking bother when that's the best you can come up with.
At least the app is moderately tolerable now that images and Vines are displayed in the feed. That's about all it has going for it.

Didn't MS tout Twitter as being one of the developers who was getting in to 10 early? If so, ouch.

Ape

Banned

jYw2Gn8.jpg

You can't explain that.

So much has changed in 3 years. When the Windows 8 review hit the score meant something something to me, in a very small way but still.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
The new W10 twitter app is a disgrace.

Why even fucking bother when that's the best you can come up with.

I never understood why you need an app for Twitter. Just go to twitter. (if you are on a PC)

new Moto X Style is only $399. 21mp cam and front facing flash. Gets fast updates too. My new car will have Android Play and that feature will heavily influence my decision in the next few months.

Fjolle

That's the Pure Edition in the US. $399, unlocked for all carriers (incl. Verizon and Sprint), stock Android.

Oh right... :/

That one will probably get updates quick if they handle it like a GPE device.

The other Motorola devices apparently have no advantage of being near stock.

Im on T-Mobile and I'm kind of want the 1520......well I actually just want a new phone and I've tried and android and apple. Do yout guys have any recommendations?

n64coder

Im on T-Mobile and I'm kind of want the 1520......well I actually just want a new phone and I've tried and android and apple. Do yout guys have any recommendations?

Isn't the issue that Tmobile uses different LTE bands than AT&T so you need to find a phone that supports those bands?

Looking at the Tmobile website, I think the best phone you can get is the 640 which is a pretty good budget phone. If you want a better phone, I think you will have to wait until new phones come out in the fall.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Xbox music app got the brand change to groove music on Android. Nothing else seems to have changed, although my music actually loads and plays now, which is always a plus for a music app.

MarkusRJR

Xbox music app got the brand change to groove music on Android. Nothing else seems to have changed, although my music actually loads and plays now, which is always a plus for a music app.
Wow, I got so excited when I saw Groove Music on the Play Store. I was like, "hey maybe they actually made it competent since it had to have been a big update:. NOPE. Literally just a color swap from green/white to blue/black and a new logo when it loads up. Is the app this bad on iOS too?

God damn. Why doesn't MS make their android app decent? It is so featureless, you can't fast forward through songs (only skip to the next song), no music exploration beyond a small "recommended artist stations" section (that is literally just a single row with artist names), and worse selection (a bunch of artists aren't there and albums that previously worked via streaming now are unavailable and need to be purchased). Since the move to Android I've merely tolerated it since I have all my collection on it, but damn. Can't wait to move to Google Play Music or Spotify once my yearly pass is up. Tried GPM's free trial a few months back and it blew my mind. Infinitely better than what MS is offering, android wise.

Wow, I got so excited when I saw Groove Music on the Play Store. I was like, "hey maybe they actually made it competent since it had to have been a big update:. NOPE. Literally just a color swap from green/white to blue/black and a new logo when it loads up. Is the app this bad on iOS too?

God damn. Why doesn't MS make their android app decent? It is so featureless, you can't fast forward through songs (only skip to the next song), no music exploration beyond a small "recommended artist stations" section (that is literally just a single row with artist names), and worse selection (a bunch of artists aren't there and albums that previously worked via streaming now are unavailable and need to be purchased). Since the move to Android I've merely tolerated it since I have all my collection on it, but damn. Can't wait to move to Google Play Music or Spotify once my yearly pass is up. Tried GPM's free trial a few months back and it blew my mind. Infinitely better than what MS is offering, android wise.

Yup.

MCD

But I can dock it as a mini player like the good old Zune and WMP.

Plus lots of albums that I couldn't purchase show up correctly now. I like it but I need sort by folders plus repeat one track only and it will be my choice for offline desktop music.

Treo360

Isn't the issue that Tmobile uses different LTE bands than AT&T so you need to find a phone that supports those bands?

Looking at the Tmobile website, I think the best phone you can get is the 640 which is a pretty good budget phone. If you want a better phone, I think you will have to wait until new phones come out in the fall.

No. You can use the 1520 from ATT with tmobile and still get LTE. I know because prior to getting my 1520.3, I did just that.

You can download the W10 preview using the windows insider app, which should continue gaining stability through release.
I know, but supposed that not everyone wants to risk their phone to become even a little unstable.

Wait, is the scrubber not centered on the line?
I wouldn't have noticed at first glance, but that's right. It is not centered. I don't know if I should be surprised.

Top Bottom