• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Here as a separate service from Microsoft's maps has been really annoying lately. It's a pain to have to keep track of two sets of saved locations. Is there a way to sync them together?

Microsoft released a list of the Lumia phones that are going to be upgraded to Windows 10 first.
  • Lumia 430
  • Lumia 435
  • Lumia 532
  • Lumia 535
  • Lumia 540
  • Lumia 640
  • Lumia 640 XL
  • Lumia 735
  • Lumia 830
  • Lumia 930

Absent from that list are more popular phones like the 520, 630, 635, Icon (lol, Verizon) and 1520. That means these phones are getting it later. Lumia Denim firmware is required for the upgrade.

It seems the 950 XL has leaked, although it is a engineering prototype.
Lumia-950-main2.jpg

I'm not entirely sold on the loss of capacitive buttons yet, but it looks good enough.

clav

Microsoft released a list of the Lumia phones that are going to be upgraded to Windows 10 first.
  • Lumia 430
  • Lumia 435
  • Lumia 532
  • Lumia 535
  • Lumia 540
  • Lumia 640
  • Lumia 640 XL
  • Lumia 735
  • Lumia 830
  • Lumia 930

Absent from that list are more popular phones like the 520, 630, 635, Icon (lol, Verizon) and 1520. That means these phones are getting it later. Lumia Denim firmware is required for the upgrade.
So if a carrier chooses not to upgrade a phone to Denim, the user is screwed?

Paganmoon

It seems the 950 XL has leaked, although it is a engineering prototype.

I'm not entirely sold on the loss of capacitive buttons yet, but it looks good enough.

uuuugh at on screen buttons, just picked up my 1020 to play with Windows 10, and I almost got aroused when pressing the dedicated buttons, just feels so much better. Was just coming here to post about it hah...

But regarding that picture, sure its a 950XL? looks like it's got 2 sim slots, shouldn't that be a lowerend model?

Re: phone list for Windows 10, I'd assume anyone could still upgrade with the preview program still, and get the "final" version that way on unsupported phones. Though, if WP8.1 update 2 is anything to go by, forcing the update on unsupported phones could lead to problems.

Edit: yeah, I'm thinking that's not the flagship, the shell looks too much like the 640's easy to remove shell, than you can just pop open. After staring at the picture for a bit, I'm not sure it can be popped out, hmm.

At least the RAM and screen resolution are inline with the rumored specs, but I didn't notice the dual sim. Maybe they'll offer a variation like with the 640?

Hmm, true, could also be something in the prototypes for testing I suppose. Man onscreen buttons really bummed me out.

So if a carrier chooses not to upgrade a phone to Denim, the user is screwed?

Considering that the WP 8.1 phones were the only ones were Denim did something other than updating the OS, maybe using the Preview for Developers works?
Still, this is not an answer for the majority of users. It is safe to assume that those devices that aren't still updated are EoL for the carriers.

uuuugh at on screen buttons, just picked up my 1020 to play with Windows 10, and I almost got aroused when pressing the dedicated buttons, just feels so much better. Was just coming here to post about it hah...

But regarding that picture, sure its a 950XL? looks like it's got 2 sim slots, shouldn't that be a lowerend model?

Re: phone list for Windows 10, I'd assume anyone could still upgrade with the preview program still, and get the "final" version that way on unsupported phones. Though, if WP8.1 update 2 is anything to go by, forcing the update on unsupported phones could lead to problems.

Edit: yeah, I'm thinking that's not the flagship, the shell looks too much like the 640's easy to remove shell, than you can just pop open.

At least the RAM and screen resolution are inline with the rumored specs, but I didn't notice the dual sim. Maybe they'll offer a variation like with the 640?

Prez

• Lumia 430
  • Lumia 435
  • Lumia 532
  • Lumia 535
  • Lumia 540
  • Lumia 640
  • Lumia 640 XL
  • Lumia 735
  • Lumia 830
  • Lumia 930

Those are all the phones with 1GB RAM, right?

Paganmoon

After testing the Xbox app on the PC for I noticed I could actually login with a different account than my main liveID. Was surprised by it, so decided to check Windows 10 on phone, and yepp, can do that there as well! Awesome! in WP8 the gamerID was hardlocked to the liveID on your phone. Can finally start using my awesome 1200Gamerscore ID for mobile gaming!

• Lumia 430
  • Lumia 435
  • Lumia 532
  • Lumia 535
  • Lumia 540
  • Lumia 640
  • Lumia 640 XL
  • Lumia 735
  • Lumia 830
  • Lumia 930

Well personally the only reason I even have a 635 is because I've been waiting to see if the new flagship phones that launch with 10 are going to be worth it. So I was planning on getting rid of the 635 this fall anyway. But that would be horrible if I still had my 1520

Edit: yeah, I'm thinking that's not the flagship, the shell looks too much like the 640's easy to remove shell, than you can just pop open. After staring at the picture for a bit, I'm not sure it can be popped out, hmm.

Hmm, true, could also be something in the prototypes for testing I suppose. Man onscreen buttons really bummed me out.

Both 950 and XL are rumored to come in dual sim variants :p

derFeef

I'll try and hard reset my preview phone, maybe the notification sounds start working again. It's a bit annoying to miss a lot of stuff.

hankster

On my 640 W10 my GMail has not synced in 3+ days now. I Bing it and see it happening with WPs and Droids so there's that.

It occasionally forgets it can edit photos but later remembers.

Sharing via messaging often takes 2 tries for it to believe I do want to share.

Swipe does not seem as smart as on WP8. It guesses / anticipates wrong more. The word were can be a battle as it will often want to do we're instead. Makes bad context choices that seemed to work better before.

But mostly it has been working well enough as my daily driver. Definitely time for an update Gabey!

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I don't see my 1020 on that list. wtf?

Lucius86

Banned
Been out the loop a bit and struggling to find the right info - what is the latest Windows Phone 10 build, and have there been any updates in the last few months?

kazinova

I could definitely use a new build today. That would brighten up my mood after being told the house I want to purchase needs a structural engineer to inspect it... :(

hwalker84

Going to update my daily driver. I get the feeling my mic issues are completely software related as it just randomly stopped working.

hwalker84

Didn't fix my mic issue and my 1520 went to shit. Only works for a few minutes then the hardware buttons stop working and hardware buttons don't respond. Waiting for the backup to complete then I'll wipe it.

n64coder

Does backup work in the Window 10 Mobile preview?

As best as I can tell from looking at my OneDrive device backup list, yes. Actually, I can confirm that it worked because I forgot my phone pin for my W10 phone which led me to wiping it and restoring from backup.

Broman1978

Any easy way to use an MP3 file as an SMS Tone? I have put an MP3 file in the Ringtone folder and I cant seem to use it as a SMS tone...

hwalker84

Well my Lumia 1520 has turned into a complete piece of crap after installing Win 10 Mobile.

Phone was completely unstable after the upgrade. Decided after letting it sit for awhile to Reset to default.
Everything seemed good.
"Hey you have Apps on this SD Card that are from another phone. I need to delete them (why?)". Delete apps
Hit install on the list of 109 apps that needed to be installed/updated
Lot's of error about apps that cannot be targeted to an SDCard (why can't I redirect the app to local storage from the store app? Why the fuck do I have to change the default back to local and then reinstall the app. Then change the default back to the SDCard???? Makes no sense Microsoft!!!
Phone is barely usable again.
No notifications
Home screen stops working periodically until I reboot the phone.

Took out the sim and put it in my 1020. Back to a working phone again.

Well my Lumia 1520 has turned into a complete piece of crap after installing Win 10 Mobile.

Phone was completely unstable after the upgrade. Decided after letting it sit for awhile to Reset to default.
Everything seemed good.
"Hey you have Apps on this SD Card that are from another phone. I need to delete them (why?)". Delete apps
Lot's of error about apps that cannot be targeted to an SDCard (why can't I redirect the app to local storage from the store app? Why the fuck do I have to change the default back to local and then reinstall the app. Then change the default back to the SDCard???? Makes no sense Microsoft!!!
No notifications

Beta software.

When will people learn?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

Everything seemed good.
No notifications

wow that blows.

Ever since I got the update that released right after I put my phone on W10 my phone has been pretty useable. Had it for almost a month or so?

Occasionally these happen:
Edge freezes
Screen goes down half way with nothing but black above it, acts like the screen is extended or something (this one is quite weird but also rare)
Whole phone freezes and requires reboot (maybe once every 4 or 5 days)

Things that don't work at all:
Notifications, from sounds to how many new emails I have on the homescreen(its never accurate) When I click on an email or text message from notification center while the phone is locked, it doesn't take me to that email, or email at all or texts after unlocking the phone.
Apps that aren't updated for W10 yet (including Microsoft apps)
Connecting to my car. In W8 it would connect and show meta data like Artist name, Album Song Name for music and such, W10 it still connects but it isn't transmitting meta data to the screen.

Its beta software but overall its quite useable for a phone for me. Definitely looking forward to a new build.

kazinova

Well better now than after you already purchased the house. I would count that as a blessing.

Much better than being blindsided, the report came back better than expected. Now I just need the seller to cut the price a little to compensate.

Seems like no build today. Boo.

JaggedSac

The 635 I was using had issues with Win10 and the SD card as well. As soon as I removed it and hard reset, all was well. The M8 is running Win10 like a champ.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Everything seemed good.
No notifications

I stopped saving apps to my Sd card even on 8.1. Too many issues.

Also the new Audible app is nice on W10. I had to delete the older one first though to get the new version.

Top Bottom