• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
A non centred scrubber?

My word.

edit: heh, on phone it is

l0lZBWb.jpg

JaggedSac

Was just farting with resizing it. It drops lower at a certain point when it gets resized horizontally. It goes back centered when expanded again.

No. You can use the 1520 from ATT with tmobile and still get LTE. I know because prior to getting my 1520.3, I did just that.
The ATT version doesn't have 32GB internal storage and Qi charging that the 1520.3 does, so probably worth getting that one if you can find one.

The Cowboy

Got myself a 640 2 days ago, really nice looking phone IMO.

Having an issue though, a couple of apps/games I've bought off the store simply won't download. Most apps download just fine, as do a lot of games etc but 2 apps don't with an 80073cfb error.

I've tried all the fixed to the point of a full restore of the phone (it was only just purchased so not much stuff to re-download), but no matter what these 2 apps refuse to download for me.

Edit.
Guess i should have posted here sooner, they are now downloading - lol.

Paganmoon

Got myself a 640 2 days ago, really nice looking phone IMO.

Having an issue though, a couple of apps/games I've bought off the store simply won't download. Most apps download just fine, as do a lot of games etc but 2 apps don't with an 80073cfb error.

I've tried all the fixed to the point of a full restore of the phone (it was only just purchased so not much stuff to re-download), but no matter what these 2 apps refuse to download for me.

Edit.
Guess i should have posted here sooner, they are now downloading - lol.

I get that every now and then with some apps, as you noticed, it usually just works by itself after a while (usually the problem isn't on your end). For instance, for 2 days now, Bing Translator has been acting up, and not downloading, apparently Microsoft renamed Translator to Bing Translator, but cannot update it, so you need to uninstall the old translator app and then the "update" works.

Had same issue with fitbit a few weeks back as well.

Not really the place to ask but am I missing something seriously obvious with OneDrive and the displaying of images?

I swear it doesn't provide a single usable URL. Is it staring me in the face?

Edit: seem OneDrive doesn't provide static URLs. Useful.

Paganmoon

Seriously, I don't get Microsofts decision to lock Cortana to regions. I've said it before, many others have as well, and we've learned to live with it.
But now with Windows 10 and Edge, it's bubbling up again for me at least. Mark some text in Edge, right click, no search option, and since there's still no extension support in Edge, there won't be for a while. But guess what, if you enable Cortana, you get an "ask Cortana" option in the menu! How fucking sweet that Cortana isn't available in my region...

So how about this Microsoft, allow me to decide if I can live with Cortana not being localized to my language or not, don't fucking lock it away.

/rant

Edit: and to add to this silly decision, the how-to pages for Cortana are localized to Swedish:
http://www.windowsphone.com/sv-SE/how-to/wp8/cortana/solutions-to-cortana-issues

"you can't use this feature in your country, but if you could this is how you'd solve some of the issues you might have faced". And the ones that are using it in Sweden by changing region/language, don't need localized help.
This sort of shit never ceases to amaze me.

Windows Phone gods!
Now that Microsoft is stopping with their Health & Fitness-app, I need some other app that can use the built-in stepcounter of my 930. Any recommendations? I don't care about all the fitness stuff at all, just my steps! (but if it's included in some app it's not a problem, I'm very good at ignoring things)

PG2G

Windows Phone gods!
Now that Microsoft is stopping with their Health & Fitness-app, I need some other app that can use the built-in stepcounter of my 930. Any recommendations? I don't care about all the fitness stuff at all, just my steps! (but if it's included in some app it's not a problem, I'm very good at ignoring things)

Microsoft Health (the app that interacts with Microsoft Band) has that functionality I believe)

So on Windows 10, now that they removed the useful Windows Phone sync app, what am I supposed to do to simply plug my phone in and have it auto-sync my latest pictures? The replacement Phone Companion app doesn't really do anything. Except maybe try to dump all 2000 files haphazardly into my Pictures folder instead of the From folder like the old one did. Really upsetting that it's basically all manually done now.

PG2G

So on Windows 10, now that they removed the useful Windows Phone sync app, what am I supposed to do to simply plug my phone in and have it auto-sync my latest pictures? The replacement Phone Companion app doesn't really do anything. Except maybe try to dump all 2000 files haphazardly into my Pictures folder instead of the From folder like the old one did. Really upsetting that it's basically all manually done now.

Any reason you don't just upload them to OneDrive in the background?

joshschw

As horrible as it is, I think the Photos App took over for this?

I'm trying it now, so I'll find out shortly....

edit: okay, it took a few mins of "finding" pics & vids, but it's started importing them now. I wonder if it offers a way to get the highres 1520 pics
edit2: yay! it's actually copying them over. That's very nice....

As horrible as it is, I think the Photos App took over for this?

I'm trying it now, so I'll find out shortly....

edit: okay, it took a few mins of "finding" pics & vids, but it's started importing them now. I wonder if it offers a way to get the highres 1520 pics
edit2: yay! it's actually copying them over. That's very nice....
And you could tell it to use the From Windows Phone folder and it only offered to transfer new images in subsequent attempts?

Also, my 920 has started getting SIM card errors. Is this the beginning of the end for my phone?

Not happy with the new volume indicator in Win10 mobile. On 8 it was just a number which is fine, but now it's a bar that fills up. I only need to change my volume if I'm watching a video and I do that in landscape mode. Press the volume rocker on the left side and the bar fills up to the right.

joshschw

And you could tell it to use the From Windows Phone folder and it only offered to transfer new images in subsequent attempts?

Don't know yet how it will work next time I transfer images...I was concerned about that as well. Will it simply retransfer all the .nar files? Will it retransfer all the highres ones I deleted?

I hope not!

Is it just me or are the Here apps not appearing in the new store? Even with a directly link I either get an error or the app page, but saying it's no longer published so I can't install.

hwalker84

The mic stopped working on my 1520. Nothing I can go to hardware wise. Awesome! Weird that it works in speakerphone but not in normal calls.

JaggedSac

Is it just me or are the Here apps not appearing in the new store? Even with a directly link I either get an error or the app page, but saying it's no longer published so I can't install.

I believe MS has taken over their development and has rebranded them as MS apps. The default camera and maps apps at least.

Top Bottom