• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

The Cowboy

Someone try Hearthstone on it!!
This is the one game i am truly sad that isn't on WP, i do love a TCG and i could spend so much time on this.
--
Question.

I have a Lumia 640, on a couple of racing games (Asphalt 8 & SBK15) i use the tilt to steer but its clear my tilting sensor (or whatever it is) is not quite central, with the phone perfectly level the bikes or cars steer to the left and i have to tilt the phone slightly to the right to drive strait.

Is there no way to calibrate the tilting on WP?, i looked in the settings and can't see anything to do it and that weird figure of 8 twisting thing (to calibrate) doesn't seem to do anything to fix it (if that even works on the phones) - Its only off by a few degrees (used an app to test it).

joshschw

Any tips on how to import photos from my phone with Windows 10?

I did it initially, and while it took a while - using Photos app - it doesn't work on follow up plug-ins. It scanned my entire phone again, took ages, and wanted to re-import everything... Someone know a way to re-install the Win8 app?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Steam android app is running without any issues.

This is some insane voodoo magic. Terry wtf.

I haven't run that app in a while, doesn't it just allow you to buy games from steam? And messaging? I don't remember anything on that app that would be difficult to run.

MCD

I haven't run that app in a while, doesn't it just allow you to buy games from steam? And messaging? I don't remember anything on that app that would be difficult to run.

It's not a difficult app yes, but some apps like Casper (Snapchat third party app) runs well.

It's pretty good for an old build of this project.

joshschw

Astoria is the thing I'm working on: (https://dev.windows.com/en-us/uwp-bridges/android)

Not going to say anything else about it, unfortunately.

Yeah, I remember you mentioning you were working on it, so I was curious if you'd respond at all!

I am sure it's neat, and always nice to see people commenting on what you've worked so hard on, but of course there's that part of you that wishes they had the newest tools, to really see it.

Hope it's been fun for your team to finally see some public comments on your work though.

It sounds very neat.

MCD

cSeCO19.png

tools are now being made to make the process as easy as drag and drop.

Paganmoon

As Brot says, it's no longer all about the "app gap", which is still there, but not as huge of a problem as before, but now it's about feature parity. My most used app being Spotify still hasn't gotten feature parity with the other mobile OS', and this after being available on Windows Phone since around 2011.

toff74

The apps I'm holding out for are

• Sonos
  • Strava
  • Wahoo Fitness
  • Tidal (yes, i know not everyone likes/uses it)

If these come (or can be emulated) I'll be really happy and it'll make my 9 month wait for phone upgrade worthwhile.

The apps I'm holding out for are

• Sonos
  • Strava
  • Wahoo Fitness
  • Tidal (yes, i know not everyone likes/uses it)

If these come (or can be emulated) I'll be really happy and it'll make my 9 month wait for phone upgrade worthwhile.

I'm not sure if it helps, but Groove is getting Sonos support.

toff74

I'm not sure if it helps, but Groove is getting Sonos support.

That does sound interesting. Will it be complete integration or similar to 'send to' which ive seen elsewhere?

I do remember an article somewhere a while back saying that sonos was in alpha/beta, just not heard anything for a long time so I thought maybe its dead.

frontieruk

That does sound interesting. Will it be complete integration or similar to 'send to' which ive seen elsewhere?

I do remember an article somewhere a while back saying that sonos was in alpha/beta, just not heard anything for a long time so I thought maybe its dead.

I'm using grove on my sonos, but I'm still on android for the app

Its integrated, so you add it like any other service.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Any of you Android guys try Microsofts Android launcher Arrow?

Also apparently Cortana can basically replace Google Now (except voice activation).

Any of you Android guys try Microsofts Android launcher Arrow?

Also apparently Cortana can basically replace Google Now (except voice activation).

I thought about it and then forgot it again. I have no reason to replace the Google Now Launcher and I'm not sure what Microsoft's launcher brings to the table.

However, the news about Cortana is exciting. I hope they can get voice activation to work. At least once the screen is turned on.

I saw the APK loader during the weekend. Impressive work, but the real problem of the Windows ecosystem is keeping developers committed to the platform. Just look at the state of Instagram for an example.
Is there a limit to the number of apps that can be side loaded in developers mode?
I believe there's a limit of 10 per device if you don't have a developer account.

Klocker

Went ahead and loaded w10 mobile on my backup 635.

Interesting.. after running w10 on surface and PC for a week I feel the symmetry but man it was a tough adjustment for me... my beloved segue fonts ... circles? Circles? really?

Not a fan of only having light theme for email want dark options throughout please...

After a few more adjustments it's all starting to grow on me. Contact interaction feels neutered compared to 8.1. not as able to edit from all instances of name as we were in 8.1 afaikt.

Also ...is it a known Issue that when composing a text that the text entry box does not expand to display the message you have typed? Mine stays on the bottom and to see what I'm typing I have to scroll through the little box 2 lines at a time to read what I have written. Assuming a bug?

Otoh, allegedly a new release jumping 151x may come this week according to Tom warren

Also concerned larger phones will suck for one handed use with the submission to the top hamburger menus instead of being optimized for bottom and one hand (people didn't like them with pivots? Really?) this is worse

Thank god they listened and put URL bar on bottom of Edge

Top Bottom