• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Any of you Android guys try Microsofts Android launcher Arrow?

Also apparently Cortana can basically replace Google Now (except voice activation).

I would love to have Cortana replaced Google Now (it's suck) but the problem is the Outlook on Android is fucking blow. It's slow and terrible to use. They just recently revamp it again (to make it looks like Windows 10 Mobile with all the circle and capsule shape buttons). I try sunrise (the app that Microsoft bought out) but they also remove Microsoft outlook because of Lollipop removed ability to sync outlook account.

I am loving Windows 10 on desktop and hoping that Windows 10 Mobile will surprise me along with great hardware. That said, allow the system to run google apps is a good idea in concept but I think in practice it will be disaster unless they went with something like Kindle route. In any case it's not going to bode well for Windows Phone eco.

Klocker

In Win10 preview, is it a known Issue that when composing a text that the text entry box does not expand to display the message you have typed? Mine stays on the bottom and to see what I'm typing I have to scroll through the little box 2 lines at a time to read what I have written. Assuming a bug? Hopefully not by design.

MCD

u2fZh98.png

Automated tool to remove google play from apps.

Lol

I really like the UI of the msn news app. On desktop it shows the menu items all the time, and the button merely brings up the description. On mobile, they went with a very clean UI, with nothing but pivots and the menu. So you can have all the usual navigation without reaching to anything, and at the same time, there's only one button on the UI.

But on the other hand, groove music follows a similar design on the desktop, but make the mistake of putting basic navigation on the menu, so on mobile you have to invoke the menu all the time even for navigating around.

So far Ms themselves haven't a single design locked yet, don't know if they are A/B testing with their apps, but I find it very pleasant on the news app.

I've yet to see a better alternative that doesn't require 15%+ screen space.

The whole idea of the hamburger menu was to remove endless buttons that confused site visitors. Pulling out two or three into a tabbed structure and hiding the rest isn't any better, and breaks the design consistency.

The BBC site has fantastic structure (considering the amount of content), and the mobile version simply wouldn't work any other way without the hamburger menu.

I get the argument that it hides navigation, but the content should drive the user.

Youtube mobile got rid of the hamburger and it's much better because of it. I don't care much about screenspace, scrolling down a bit is much easier than clicking a tiny button in the top corner.

[edit] the BBC site is kinda weird (on Edge?) right now, while loading there is a 'menu' button but after loading you get news, sports, more. If you click menu while loading you navigate to news.

Youtube mobile got rid of the hamburger and it's much better because of it. I don't care much about screenspace, scrolling down a bit is much easier than clicking a tiny button in the top corner.

[edit] the BBC site is kinda weird (on Edge?) right now, while loading there is a 'menu' button but after loading you get news, sports, more. If you click menu while loading you navigate to news.

The funny part is that te new you tube is basically the windows phone philosophy: pivots and a single app bar (but on top).

It will be ironic if Ms goes all in into hamburger menus because people didn't want to redesign their apps, only to find developers switching to the design they've been using for years...

Vyer

The NBC news example in that article is hilarious.

The whole idea of the hamburger menu was to remove endless buttons that confused site visitors. Pulling out two or three into a tabbed structure and hiding the rest isn't any better, and breaks the design consistency.

The BBC site has fantastic structure (considering the amount of content), and the mobile version simply wouldn't work any other way without the hamburger menu.

I get the argument that it hides navigation, but the content should drive the user.

If those numbers and examples are to be believed, it looks like getting rid of it does in fact drive the user to engage more with content.

Upgraded my tablet to W10 and it's great so far (though the Mail app seems to be busted right now). Pulled my 8X out of storage and checked for updates: nothing.

kazinova

Just saw Gabe Aul's tweet. Hopefully we get the build before the end of the week. I'm seriously craving some good news and a fun distraction.

Klocker

Hell yea...
Main reason I went windows phone in first place was the elegant design solution... using w10 mobile last day or two is making me sad to see the hamburger everywhere

Please make it stop... the alternative solutions shown in the article are much better

I really like the UI of the msn news app. On desktop it shows the menu items all the time, and the button merely brings up the description. On mobile, they went with a very clean UI, with nothing but pivots and the menu. So you can have all the usual navigation without reaching to anything, and at the same time, there's only one button on the UI.

But on the other hand, groove music follows a similar design on the desktop, but make the mistake of putting basic navigation on the menu, so on mobile you have to invoke the menu all the time even for navigating around.

So far Ms themselves haven't a single design locked yet, don't know if they are A/B testing with their apps, but I find it very pleasant on the news app.

Agree. Noticed the news app yesterday and I hope that becomes the norm.. very well done on desk and phone

maeh2k

I saw tweetium recommended a few times here. It's not really good. Confusing, hard to read... and on my 630 it's also sloooow.

It's my favorite twitter client. Maybe look into the settings and play around with those. It really shouldn't be hard to read.

That said, it does have some issues. Some things like synching across devices, starting at last read tweet, jumping from last read tweet to newest tweet, ... have serious issues or barely work. So far I haven't seen any alternatives that do that stuff better, either.

NeOak

Hell yea...
Main reason I went windows phone in first place was the elegant design solution... using w10 mobile last day or two is making me sad to see the hamburger everywhere

Please make it stop... the alternative solutions shown in the article are much better

Agree. Noticed the news app yesterday and I hope that becomes the norm.. very well done on desk and phone

Which is why I'm jumping to Android with the BB Venice slider.

Same hamburger shit, but more apps and physical QWERTY.

derFeef

It's my favorite twitter client. Maybe look into the settings and play around with those. It really shouldn't be hard to read.

That said, it does have some issues. Some things like synching across devices, starting at last read tweet, jumping from last read tweet to newest tweet, ... have serious issues or barely work. So far I haven't seen any alternatives that do that stuff better, either.

There is not much choice sadly. It's better than the official app (if you can call it that).
But if I can't, at a quick glance, differentiate tweets from different persons, it's not pleasant.

Listening to the Redmond Report from last week. The new Microsoft flagship are full plastic? Whaaaaat?!

I thought they were going to continue the 830 design, with a metal strip and a plastic backside. Well, at least the prior Nokia team doesn't use bad materials like Samsung (barring the A series and the S6).

Nikodemos

Listening to the Redmond Report from last week. The new Microsoft flagship are full plastic? Whaaaaat?!
Metal phones are hot garbage.

Literally.

Word used in a literal sense.

EDIT: P.S.: glass-backed phones are utter shit as well. Slip-and-drop central.

giga

Tab bars on the iPhone 6 use less than 7% of vertical space. Probably even less on the 6 Plus.

And it is better -- I can't imagine not having it on apps like Instagram or Twitter, where I'm constantly switching between views. Hamburgers were part of the reason why I deleted Google Music. It was awful having to stretch my thumb to the top left of my screen, let alone requiring two taps. Tab bars also give you a sense of context of where you are in the app and allow you to quickly scroll to the top of the view easily.

I think the reason I don't have much of a problem with hamburger menus is 'cause I use my left hand for primary browsing stuff, right hand free for resizing or clicking specific stuff.

Tab bars on the iPhone 6 use less than 7% of vertical space. Probably even less on the 6 Plus.

And it is better -- I can't imagine not having it on apps like Instagram or Twitter, where I'm constantly switching between views. Hamburgers were part of the reason why I deleted Google Music. It was awful having to stretch my thumb to the top left of my screen, let alone requiring two taps. Tab bars also give you a sense of context of where you are in the app and allow you to quickly scroll to the top of the view easily.

I agree tab bars are better for Apps, when you are frequently switching views. For a web site though?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
What's new with the next build?
Is it good enough to run on a primary phone?

Link? Info?

of course. Its a huge improvement on stability and close to RTM. Thats what I have been reading every where and yes definitely can be used as a primary phone since the version of build number is even higher than W10 build which was usable way before that.

Link already posted by above poster.

JaggedSac

Maybe the cursor will damn work right after the update. My only real problem with Win10 so far. Well, and the fact that the store doesn't recognize I have a Zune Pass and will not let me stream or download full songs.

Klocker

Man playing with this wp10 preview on my back up 635 is really growing on me, stupid hamburger bullshit aside.

It helps that I have been on windows 10 for a while as well and the consistency between them is evident. A few issues here and there but overall the mail and calendar apps are much better for me especially for work and it seems pretty smooth already.

Edge needs work (what's with the favorites not having a quick menu on mobile?) and I have the text box issue but I'm looking forward to a future preview being installed on my daily driver

Edit.. off to new build!

Top Bottom