• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

GAF is waaaaay faster on the icon. I would say 3-4x faster, its like lightning now for me. Maybe just perceived, but I couldn't imagine it being much faster.

I haven't hit a GIF heavy thread though.

e64.jpg

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Folders are really great, very nice implementation.

Now all we need is ATT to announce mediocre phones 530/630/730/830 and re-release the 1520 as their new flagship, the 1530; 8.1 and a new color option, green. Thanks ATT.

JaggedSac

Currently rocking a Lumia 620. How much do I have to gain from upgrading to, say, a Lumia 930?

How happy are you with the screen, camera, and general performance of your phone? If you are happy with it, then, not much. But then, that goes with upgrading to any phone and not just the 930.

How happy are you with the screen, camera, and general performance of your phone? If you are happy with it, then, not much. But then, that goes with upgrading to any phone and not just the 930.

I'm a photographer so I rarely use the camera on it, but when I have it's been pretty impressive. The only criticism is that it takes ages to load the camera app. I also get quite a few app crashes, especially in stuff like Snapchat, Internet Explorer, Facebook and Twitter. In fact, a lot of the apps have a tendency to boot me back to the Start screen. Not sure if it's the phone or the WP8.1 beta or whatever.

I would quite like a bigger screen, too...

ayoitsbruce

Neo Member
not impressed at all. i smashed my s3 got a nokia lumia after 13 hours gave it back and got a s4 for $100 more. worst 13 hours if my life

JaggedSac

I'm a photographer so I rarely use the camera on it, but when I have it's been pretty impressive. The only criticism is that it takes ages to load the camera app. I also get quite a few app crashes, especially in stuff like Snapchat, Internet Explorer, Facebook and Twitter. In fact, a lot of the apps have a tendency to boot me back to the Start screen. Not sure if it's the phone or the WP8.1 beta or whatever.

Sounds like an upgrade would be worth it. Not sure if the camera gets better, at least not if you're talking about the Nokia one that thing is just slow, lol.

Edit: Was referring to the Nokia camera app, not the hardware.

royalan

I have the 635 (which is basically the 620), and the only thing I don't like about the phone is the camera. The only part of it that screams "entry-level device."

But you're a photographer and you like, so maybe I just don't know what the heck I'm doing. lol

Might try a hard reset soon. Still getting the same performance issues I've been having with WP 8.1 for a long time, even after Update 1. Freezes or crashes when swipe texting, apps crashing, long Resuming screens, etc.

Very disappointed. Lumia 925 here.

Bullza2o

It seems my battery is better with this update (920 here). That said I'll have to keep an eye on it a couple days more before I conclude, but it seems better than the regular 8.1.

But you're a photographer and you like, so maybe I just don't know what the heck I'm doing. lol

It's weird, but in a way, my standards are even lower; because I'm used to working with high-end stuff, I expect any phone camera to be a bag of shit in comparison. The 620s ain't a bag of shit, so I was kinda impressed. I dunno if that makes sense.

Thanks to everyone else for the replies!

Just put all the Bing apps (News, Sports, etc) in a folder and the live tiles work and are completely readable (on my Icon) while inside the folder. I'm impressed. Internet Explorer seems noticeably improved too. Now, just...

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give CYAN

Tablo

How have they not rolled out Cyan for 920/1020. For reals now.
I'm tempted to unbox my freebie 520 just to taste Cyan at this point...

It's faster, but the "back to previous page" is still bugged!!!!!! Hell, I watched a video posted on a thread and when I pressed "back" it took me to a whole different website.

Lucius86

Banned
So is Bluetooth internet tethering more efficient than WiFi?

Lower throughput, but better battery life I believe.

Was thinking about supposed smartband and mocked something up. Its rough around the edges.

First the design is like a band, uniform all the way round, with all the sensors. It is like the popular iWatch concept but to be worn on the inside of the wrist like shown below.

Hardware:

To be worn like:

Glance screen:
cn56Wgp.png

Heart rate monitor (can easily imagine a step counter/GPS etc.):
0ZzgOju.png

Cortana:
2EClufA.png

pHKRZPC.png

Incoming Calls:
0XLbA60.png

(scrollable) messages:
Ls5xSwT.png

Voice reply:
KKRhlSZ.png

For a mockup, these are really good - nice work. Can't imagine Cesc using Whatsapp though - entirely unrealistic.

Having said that, I don't get smart watches. I see zero purpose for them, just a gimmick to me.

Tablo

Having said that, I don't get smart watches. I see zero purpose for them, just a gimmick to me.
Well besides being cool gadgets, and those humans sure love cool gadgets :p

But in all seriousness, I think the logical use for one if for health purposes, which is why I have high hopes for the rumored MS smartband with a lot of sensors, and a basic look/design. Really it just needs to collect data, and display notifications and whatever on a small OLED display. That I think is a good use case.

I'm not sold on the "let's put a smartphone on your wrist" concept, as Samsung is pursuing. But I think there's a market for it, and as miniaturization of tech continues, smartwatches will be a good form factor IMO. It slots in that cultural thing of wearing a watch, so us techies/utilitarians have something more functional than a ridiculously expensive timepiece on our wrists...
That's sort of how I see it anyways.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I do wish the folder live tiles would adapt to the amount of apps that are in the folder. For instance, if I have only 2-3 apps in the folder, there shouldn't be more than a few "empty" tiles if I'm using the large tile size. Use that space!

Otherwise, I love them. There are a lot of apps that I wouldn't mind using a large or medium size tile with to get the extra info, but I didn't want to use the screen space. Folders kinda solves that, albeit with the addition of one extra "tap" required.

Xbox Music still sucks. Am I supposed to see that the app was updated, or were the "improvements" are part of Update 1 itself?

disagree - you choose the size of live folder tile, and the size of the tiles inside - if you use a large live tile and tiny app tiles inside, that is up to you - maybe you want the space?

I do wish they wouldn't scroll icons within folders though. Eg I have a medium live folder - 3x3 grid. I'd like to have one medium sized app tile in there, which takes up 2x2, and then put small tiles around it. But it won't - it'll scroll the medium one on and hide at least one of the small ones, even though there is space to show them all.

and they need to give an option to use the proper Cortana voice. I get the whole localisation thing, and obviously they need different recognition for our cockney accents. But the voice it replies with can be anything

For those with update 1, what does whatsmyuseragent.com say?

Cyan update 0:
Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows Phone 8.1; ARM; Trident/7.0; Touch; rv:11.0; IEMobile/11.0; NOKIA; Lumia 925; Vodafone) like Gecko

[edit] found it here:
Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Mobile; Windows Phone 8.1; Android 4.0; ARM; Trident/7.0; Touch; rv:11.0; IEMobile/11.0; NOKIA; Lumia 930) like iPhone OS 7_0_3 Mac OS X AppleWebKit/537 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile Safari/537

We iphone and android now

They f*cking nailed the folders. Can't stress how much I love the way they are true to the design, and how it keeps your layout.

They really really really really really really should add a folder control so apps can have this behavior, and in win9 get rid of groups and semantic zoom in favor of folders in both the startscreen and apps.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
the folders work really well with pinned items. also that video from Microsoft research with the interactive metro tiles would really work well here.

Hmm.

Since Update 1, I've been getting "resuming" just when hitting the power button. (Lumia 930)

Figured it actually might be related to the Lock Screen Beta app, so removed it. Then it just constantly borked what picture I set as the lock screen, even fading between the generic O2 Millenium Dome picture or what I set it as.

I guess a hard reset might be in order. Sigh.

Hmm.

Since Update 1, I've been getting "resuming" just when hitting the power button. (Lumia 930)

Figured it actually might be related to the Lock Screen Beta app, so removed it. Then it just constantly borked what picture I set as the lock screen, even fading between the generic O2 Millenium Dome picture or what I set it as.

I guess a hard reset might be in order. Sigh.

Try to turn Kids Corner on and off again.

Top Bottom