• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Klocker

Sounds like you have to do a factory reset.

Yea a factory reset and not restoring a profile made all the difference in the world.

Still have the lag on lock screen info but otherwise very cool. Ms default set up of start menu tiles are a nice example of them trying to make this a more user friendly experience too.

Really digging 10 so far. Again, this is on a backup so I'm not as arsed by little issues but can not find any apps not working or any deal breakers... have an occasional lock up or crash but otherwise the factory reset put me right back to 10512 and even without loading an old restore the phone propagated my text messages due to back up settings being on.

JaggedSac

Maybe the build is a bit unstable on the Icon. Takes a few seconds for the time and date to appear on the lock screen. The Maps app is complete garbage and won't give me directions. Edge would lock up. The store would crash. My phone just became a frustrating brick.

Reset my phone, hope that makes a difference.

The lock screen thing is affecting me too. That just started this morning for some reason though. Takes about a second for the stuff to pop up. I can immediately touch it and bring up the passcode stuff though, so not that big of a deal for me. Haven't noticed any of the other stuff though.

Just noticed that the cursor is working properly for me on this build. My biggest gripe got fixed. I didn't notice until now because it became a habit to drag it instead of tapping to place it in order to not have it goof up.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The new Fitbit Windows 10 app looks nice and is also coming to WP and Xbox. Maybe the universal app platform has a chance, especially with if Windows 10s install base continuing to grow!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
There is no scenario where MS gets love on retail shelves, regardless of when their phones release relative to others.

Maybe, but now would have been a better time. Also, if the Samsung phones had a wp alternative, that would have been nice. And while they have their own hardware division, why not do a nexus-like program to bolster the lineup? I can't imagine that HTC would turn down money to produce an m9-like wp device where MS maybe uses a better camera module and provides all software. That has to be cheaper than designing a phone from scratch.

Paganmoon

There's going to be a staggered release. And if they give a release date at the reveal, it will be for AT&T.

But I've already delayed my contract extension for a year (with lower monthly cost), I want a new phone... Why won't you let me have a new phone Microsoft?

And on that note, what's the best activity armband out there, that does puls and sleep tracking? Is fitbit charge the only real option? (it's too big imo though).

Cause I guess if we're going to get a staggered phone release, we won't be seeing Microsoft Band 2 at all in Sweden.

frontieruk

But I've already delayed my contract extension for a year (with lower monthly cost), I want a new phone... Why won't you let me have a new phone Microsoft?

And on that note, what's the best activity armband out there, that does puls and sleep tracking? Is fitbit charge the only real option? (it's too big imo though).

Cause I guess if we're going to get a staggered phone release, we won't be seeing Microsoft Band 2 at all in Sweden.

As much as I loved my Garmin, I've not had my Band long enough to upgrade to this

http://sites.garmin.com/en-US/vivo/vivofit/

Long battery life is a god send

JaggedSac

Maybe, but now would have been a better time. Also, if the Samsung phones had a wp alternative, that would have been nice. And while they have their own hardware division, why not do a nexus-like program to bolster the lineup? I can't imagine that HTC would turn down money to produce an m9-like wp device where MS maybe uses a better camera module and provides all software. That has to be cheaper than designing a phone from scratch.

Are you saying that MS shouldn't be manufacturing their own phones or that they should be getting other manufacturers to add phones(based on Android counterparts) to the lineup in addition to their own phones?

Lichter

I've installed Fallout Shelter (android) on my Lumia and it's running smoothly on my 1520 so far.

Getting to the C drive of windows phones is very funny to me, you just have to create a desktop link of your PC's C:/ drive and move the "link" on your Windows Phone, lol.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I've installed Fallout Shelter (android) on my Lumia and it's running smoothly on my 1520 so far.

Getting to the C drive of windows phones is very funny to me, you just have to create a desktop link of your PC's C:/ drive and move the "link" on your Windows Phone, lol.

That's crazy and pretty cool!

joshschw

I don't think anyone answered me since I asked the other day.

HOW do I sync my photos with Windows 10?? The Photos app simply tries to copy every picture off when I plug it in, and makes duplicates. Not kidding.

It's laughably pathetic, but I want my pics....

derFeef

Anyone know how to get to the quiet hours settings in the newest preview build? It's blinking and on, not sure what caused that.

I don't think anyone answered me since I asked the other day.

HOW do I sync my photos with Windows 10?? The Photos app simply tries to copy every picture off when I plug it in, and makes duplicates. Not kidding.

It's laughably pathetic, but I want my pics....
Presumably if you drag and drop them from the phone to your picture folder the file explorer will handle them as it always does and you can opt to skip duplicates.

Personally I just have all mine go to OneDrive.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Just as I ponder to move from Windows Phone, Samsung goes and botches the Note 5.

I don't want to skip another generation, but help me God if the 940 doesn't deliver.

I don't have cortana.

I guess you'll have to set region and language to US so you do have Cortana. Tapping the quiet hours quick settings tile does nothing, long press does nothing, searching for quiet in settings returns nothing.

Just as I ponder to move from Windows Phone, Samsung goes and botches the Note 5.

I don't want to skip another generation, but help me God if the 940 doesn't deliver.

I bet it's going to be gimped somehow, but we'll all just cope with it because we are windows phone users after all.

frontieruk

1+ year batterylife? how in the hell? from what I've seen 7 days for activity armbands is a lot.

They don't seem to have a WP app though. But will have it in mind, incase I switch to Android (fat chance though).

Thanks.

I'll be honest I never syncd with my phone, the ANT+ USB thumb say in my PC and it would sync when I came home, I'm hoping Garmin will make a universal App to update Garmin connect, but that's the theme of this thread hope

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
My 920 SIM port seemed to be broken. Damn, phone is in great condition otherwise.

Fuck man, I'm know that feeling. I switch SIMs *a lot* and I've broken mine twice. I cannot longer justify fixing it (€20 repair for a phone with a battery that can't last half a day), so I'm using a Moto G in the meantime.

joshschw

José Mourinho;175380501 said:
Presumably if you drag and drop them from the phone to your picture folder the file explorer will handle them as it always does and you can opt to skip duplicates.

Personally I just have all mine go to OneDrive.

Have any idea how long Explorer takes to populate 3000+ images from the phone when you plug it in? and if you back out it starts all over...

I have no desire for all my pics on OneDrive.

The old Win8 app worked perfectly for this.

Nikodemos

I bet it's going to be gimped somehow, but we'll all just cope with it because we are windows phone users after all.
It's called the 950 now because reasons.

The 808 seems like a decent SoC. None of the shitty issues of the 810.

Frankly, it's the 950 XL I'm worried about. If that garbage Snapdragon exhibits the same issues it does in all other phones using it (and there's a good chance it will), the 950 XL will be 100% DOA.

NeOak

Frankly, it's the 950 XL I'm worried about. If that garbage Snapdragon exhibits the same issues it does in all other phones using it (and there's a good chance it will), the 950 XL will be 100% DOA.
Qualcomm made a 810v2, and it seems it wasn't just a quick spin. Seems they did some metal changes too.

Not too worried about the SoC, I mean more like it won't have wireless charging, hardware buttons, glance, SD slot and as a special fuck you, no headphone jack

Qualcomm made a 810v2, and it seems it wasn't just a quick spin. Seems they did some metal changes too.

v2 is the first mass produced stepping of the 810. You're probably referring to the 2.1 a dramatic change compared to the original.

The thing is, the 810 doesn't suck per se. It gets too hot and OEMs keep it in check by throttling the CPU. That itself doesn't mean the device is going to suck or be unusable, but that the speed bump isn't as huge, when compared to the older generation.

Now the really sucky part is that the upcoming Snapdragons are going to have Qualcomm's custom Krait ARM cores again and those are coming in about 6-8 months. Supposedly no overheating and a lot faster, judging by the benchmarks of the mid-range Snapdragon 620 chip (which is already faster or as fast as the current high-end 810 chip).

Nikodemos

Now the really sucky part is that the upcoming Snapdragons are going to have Qualcomm's custom Krait ARM cores again and those are coming in about 6-8 months. Supposedly no overheating and a lot faster, judging by the benchmarks of the mid-range Snapdragon 620 chip (which is already faster or as fast as the current high-end 810 chip).
That's not a particularly useful metric. Right now the 808 has better performance than the 810 (at least the regular v2.0) since it can keep its A57s online nearly continuously rather than load-shed like crazy and switch to the A53s.

Top Bottom