• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

That's not a particularly useful metric. Right now the 808 has better performance than the 810 (at least the regular v2.0) since it can keep its A57s online nearly continuously rather than load-shed like crazy and switch to the A53s.

It's also faster than the 808 on the same benchmark (geekbench). Now it's still a bit too early to be all excited about the upcoming Snapdragon series (especially on the basis of one synthetic benchmark), but the upcoming mid-range chip is usually not faster or as fast as the one generation older high-end chip.

Again, it ultimately doesn't really matter. At least not to me, as I'm absolutely happy with the performance of my Nexus 5 (SD800). I guess it only really matters if you play a lot of demanding 3D games. But both phones should perform absolutely fine.

NeOak

v2 is the first mass produced stepping of the 810. You're probably referring to the 2.1 a dramatic change compared to the original.

The thing is, the 810 doesn't suck per se. It gets too hot and OEMs keep it in check by throttling the CPU. That itself doesn't mean the device is going to suck or be unusable, but that the speed bump isn't as huge, when compared to the older generation.

Now the really sucky part is that the upcoming Snapdragons are going to have Qualcomm's custom Krait ARM cores again and those are coming in about 6-8 months. Supposedly no overheating and a lot faster, judging by the benchmarks of the mid-range Snapdragon 620 chip (which is already faster or as fast as the current high-end 810 chip).

Yeah, 2.1. They are calling it 810v2 because it is the second public version.

And yes, Qualcomm's custom cores are really good. Too bad those are 2016.

I'm fine with the SD800 on the 1520 though.

Hmmmmm, keep hearing different things.

How is that podcast?

Sorry for the late answer. The podcast is great! It's just Brad Sams from Neowin going over the Microsoft news of the week and sharing some little insider info and tips he's been hearing in addition to the story he's talking about. It's pretty informative. I actually prefer it over the podcast with the three stooges, because he doesn't try to be funny and witty all the time, there's a lot less self-masturbation going on and since he's alone, there's no stupid banter with a host that doesn't care about the topic and already forgot what's been mentioned in the week before.

If info and news is all you want, listen to Redmond Report. The runtime is around 30 minutes. Sometimes longer or shorter, depending on the news that happened during game the week.

So 2 days ago I tried to install the newest windows 10 update on my icon. It did everything fine at first but once it gets to the spinning gears nothing happens. The white bar never fills up and eventually I get a weird sad face emoticon. I tried restting the phone a bunch of times but the same thing keeps happening. I rolled back to 8.1, and then reinstalled 10, but it keeps dying when it tries to update 10. So I am now stuck on 8.1, does anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry for the late answer. The podcast is great! It's just Brad Sams from Neowin going over the Microsoft news of the week and sharing some little insider info and tips he's been hearing in addition to the story he's talking about. It's pretty informative. I actually prefer it over the podcast with the three stooges, because he doesn't try to be funny and witty all the time, there's a lot less self-masturbation going on and since he's alone, there's no stupid banter with a host that doesn't care about the topic and already forgot what's been mentioned in the week before.

If info and news is all you want, listen to Redmond Report. The runtime is around 30 minutes. Sometimes longer or shorter, depending on the news that happened during game the week.

Cool, thanks. I will give it a try. 30 minutes sounds good too.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If they get the emulation of Android apps working well, including Google integration, I'll jump back in. Windows phone is just flat out better than Android at the basics (phone, text, stability, typing, personal assistant). Android is such a frustrating experience, even with bleeding edge hardware.

Then again, it's probably just touchwiz. If only there was a nexus device with a good camera.

If they get the emulation of Android apps working well, including Google integration, I'll jump back in. Windows phone is just flat out better than Android at the basics (phone, text, stability, typing, personal assistant). Android is such a frustrating experience, even with bleeding edge hardware.

Then again, it's probably just touchwiz. If only there was a nexus device with a good camera.

How do the Android apps get updates?

Ganondolf

I just noticed Microsoft edge mobile does not import my favourites from Microsoft edge on pc.

Is this because it's unfinished or are they removing the feature?

Klocker

I just noticed Microsoft edge mobile does not import my favourites from Microsoft edge on pc.

Nor does it span open web pages/tabs.

So I'm thinking it's unfinished

Edit... Also is it normal on the preview to have 10 Nokia/phone setting apps that error out when trying to update?

this_guy

I'm willing to do the same. I like Windows phone but lack of apps kills it for me.

Zeknurn

Edge on desktop was released in an unfinished state. I'd look to Threshold 2 in October for the actual release.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

That's a decent camera, but I'm not talking "good for an android phone", I mean a really good camera. The camera on the S6 is top tier, right up there with the 930, and imo a notch above iPhone 6. That's what I'm talking about.

If only touchwiz wasn't so terrible, and I know you use Samsung phones, so either you have a really high tolerance for jank, or you've never used an iPhone or windows phone as a daily driver for months at a time to understand why touchwiz is so terrible. The out of box experience is OK, but a hundred apps and a few months later, jank city.

I'm even willing to give up the Samsung os stuff that I like, for example split screen, to have a better, less frustrating day to day experience.

Nikodemos

I can vouch for the position that Galaxy S# flagships become absolutely dreadful a couple years down the line. It's like Samsung bakes planned obsolescence into them.

That's a decent camera, but I'm not talking "good for an android phone", I mean a really good camera. The camera on the S6 is top tier, right up there with the 930, and imo a notch above iPhone 6. That's what I'm talking about.

If only touchwiz wasn't so terrible, and I know you use Samsung phones, so either you have a really high tolerance for jank, or you've never used an iPhone or windows phone as a daily driver for months at a time to understand why touchwiz is so terrible. The out of box experience is OK, but a hundred apps and a few months later, jank city.

I'm even willing to give up the Samsung os stuff that I like, for example split screen, to have a better, less frustrating day to day experience.

or maybe i just don't have a frustrating day to day experience and the real issue is that using an iOS or WP device to me is like having handcuffs behind my back while using a phone. blended shit is smooth too.

Nor does it span open web pages/tabs.

So I'm thinking it's unfinished

Edit... Also is it normal on the preview to have 10 Nokia/phone setting apps that error out when trying to update?

Did sharing internet tabs ever work with WP8.1 and windows 8.1? I never got it to do anything. Did it only share tabs with metro IE not desktop?

lol

maybe if they got the iOS versions working.
As those are not emulated, but recompiled, it wouldn't work without the source code.

Did sharing internet tabs ever work with WP8.1 and windows 8.1? I never got it to do anything. Did it only share tabs with metro IE not desktop?
Actually, in my experience, it did. But it was spotty at times, and of course, it broke when upgrading to Windows 10 and using Edge.

hadareud

The Translator
I went on holiday for 2 weeks with my 1020 and 10166 as my main driver. Nightmare.

Over the weeks the build got increasingly buggy and the battery life was disgraceful. Luckily I had a power bank with me, otherwise I would have been without a phone almost the entire time.

A few highlights:

- battery lasted maybe 5 hours on average
- when the new build came out there was also map updates - the phone started downloading both on my mobile connection without ever finishing the downloads costing me around 3 gig of data (on holiday!)
- you could fry an egg on the camera hump during those days.
- I would have to restart the phone about 10 times a day
- after a restart I had to wait for around 5 to 10 minutes before doing anything, otherwise I would have to restart it again because it would be permanently stuck on a loading screen
- camera performance on the 1020 was woeful. Picture quality of a 920 at best.

The new build seems a lot more battery friendly. However, the last one seemed ok too for the first month or so.

Still a bit of work to do, I'd say.

derFeef

Map update happed to me too, despite having the option enabled. My monthly budget is almost gone.

My current problem is that the mobile hotspot is not working. My Surface shows the connection as Limited, though it worked with the last build.

JaggedSac

Map update happed to me too, despite having the option enabled. My monthly budget is almost gone.

My current problem is that the mobile hotspot is not working. My Surface shows the connection as Limited, though it worked with the last build.

Hotspot not working was one of the known defects they listed for the latest version.

hadareud

The Translator

Which provider are you with in Austria?

I know that with T-Mobile (or Max) it doesn't seem to recognise the mobile network as a metered connection. I remember that last year I was able to download a phone update over the mobile network which definitely isn't possible with my English SIM card.

Basically, the Austrian providers are screwing us over. Pretty sure that the shitty network up in the mountains where I was (Edge, ffs!) didn't help, either.

I went on holiday for 2 weeks with my 1020 and 10166 as my main driver. Nightmare.

Over the weeks the build got increasingly buggy and the battery life was disgraceful. Luckily I had a power bank with me, otherwise I would have been without a phone almost the entire time.

A few highlights:

- when the new build came out there was also map updates - the phone started downloading both on my mobile connection without ever finishing the downloads costing me around 3 gig of data (on holiday!)
- after a restart I had to wait for around 5 to 10 minutes before doing anything, otherwise I would have to restart it again because it would be permanently stuck on a loading screen

The new build seems a lot more battery friendly. However, the last one seemed ok too for the first month or so.

I can't even feel sorry for you. You've mugged yourself off big time taking that on holiday.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

A few highlights:

I mean some people still think that even though latest build which is significantly better than 10166 in every way possible is not a daily use OS and you took your 10166 build on vacation lmao i can only imagine how terrible that would have turned out. But you already listed all the issues.

hadareud

The Translator
It seems to me that the hard reset is only a temporary fix at the moment. The 10166 build turned from very usable to completely horrendous for me over the course of a few weeks.

I hope the current build holds up better, but it looks to me that currently W10M is Android on steroids when it comes to turning into unusable shit.

kazinova

At first the upgrade to 105xx seemed fine. But I'm experiencing more and more problems. I think I might break down and do a hard reset the next time I can't take a photo or use any apps.

Paganmoon

Really can't see myself running the preview on my daily driver yet, specially with the amount of hard resets being recommended as fixes to problems.
Having to setup all my authenticators, bankapp connections and mobilepayments would freaking suck.

I'll stick to just playing with it on my 1020 every now and then.

Top Bottom