• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

The W10 preview does not have a backup, has it? If I roll back, it should roll back to my last 8.1 version, right?

It did for me the two times I tried.

Though the first time was a really unpleasant experience: It restored my apps, and my layout, but somehow didn't registered that the tiles were for the installed apps. I had to repin and re-arrange all over again.

The second time it was almost perfect, it only missed two apps: (Here Drive and Here Transit) that the tile appears, but it says from the new store that they have been delisted.

joshschw

I feel like the WP crowd is more reasonable... I don't care about the benchmarks, on every computer, tablet, low end, high end, I have tried, IE is still obviously faster than Edge.... ad blocking same on both, via HOSTS.

I worry phones will be the same, but it is more worrisome on real computers...

hadareud

The Translator
The latest build is definitely a lot better when it comes to battery life. Battery is no longer draining overnight and in the background.

For now.

hadareud

The Translator
To be fair, apart from everything being subjective, the builds seem to be running differently on different phones and certain bugs seem to be individual and based on whether you reset your phone etc.

The curious thing for me is how quickly the last build (10166) deteriorated. The new build seems to be a lot more stable apart from the lock screen bug, but I'm slightly hesitant to be too positive about it considering it may well go downhill as quickly as the last one, even though at the moment there's no signs of that yet.

If it stays as it is and if it runs the same on all phones as it does on my 1020, I'd say that it's very close to being useable as a main driver. Even on holiday.

derFeef

Alarms app got an update. Maybe it's working now, lol.

I noticed that I don't get notifications pushed if my phone is locked. Works fine if I am on the homescreen though. Seems like a bigger bug.

Have you read this thread? It goes from "man the new build is absolute shit" to "I love the new build" to "where the hell are the flagships" to "man the 'flagships' don't look to hot" etc.

:)
But the new builds usually are loved for the first 10 minutes because they've fixed things. Then after that people realise how shit they still are.

Everybody wanted to know where the flagships were, then they announced some plastic bodied software button nonsense. So like, all valid points to be fair.

JaggedSac

José Mourinho;175794413 said:
But the new builds usually are loved for the first 10 minutes because they've fixed things. Then after that people realise how shit they still are.

Everybody wanted to know where the flagships were, then they announced some plastic bodied software button nonsense. So like, all valid points to be fair.

They announced new phones?

hadareud

The Translator
José Mourinho;175794413 said:

You're just grumpy because Chelsea haven't started the season well, in addition to them and their manager and captain collectively all being histories greatest monsters.

kazinova

Windows 10 10525 has a lot of the same bugs as Windows 10 Mobile 10512.

I guess they're more similar than I was giving them credit.

so no Sept 4th announcement? ahahhahahaaa, i always knew these new phones would be released in november. i wanted to believe they'd come sooner though.

Just saw this in my Twitter feed and had to chuckle.

U3gPtiSl.jpg

Tablo

I think I'm going to just move up to a 640 from my 635 the next time it's on sale, and wait it out until Surface Phone...
Not gonna lie the advantages of owning a really cheap phone have been pretty sweet xD

The lass sitting next to me in my dentist's waiting room had a 735. I didn't have mine with me, so that was an opportunity to connect with a kindred spirit missed. :-(

I asume they want to take some space between the iPhone 6S announcement and theirs. At least it won't get drown out in the Apple media blitz.
I am doubting the slim Xbox because of the bundles they've already announced. Some of which have custom designs on them.
Could it be that streaming box rumored last year?

hadareud

The Translator
Paul Thurrott
‏@thurrott

I had heard Lumia event in September (NYC) and then Surface and Band in October (not sure where). Will check to see if this has changed.

That would make much more sense.

Man I need to sell this Band. Never used it (first one broke never worn this one). Just don't wear watches or anything on my arm.

I'm dying for a 950 XL, Surface Pro 4, and/or Surface Mini

Well I got a Surface pro 3 at launch so I won't be upgrading tablets for a while. I am definitely ready to move on from my Galaxy 3 variant Ativ S Neo. The band also seem to have the right ideas but the first version was too clunky. If they can produce a slimmer, comfortable version I'm down.

hwalker84

Well I got a Surface pro 3 at launch so I won't be upgrading tablets for a while. I am definitely ready to move on from my Galaxy 3 variant Ativ S Neo. The band also seem to have the right ideas but the first version was too clunky. If they can produce a slimmer, comfortable version I'm down.

Actually I'll say I'm not dying for a Surface Pro 4 since work bought me a Pro 3. I just want to see what's new. The others I NEED

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
freaking kidding me right? My phone literally just lowered the volume to my headphones while listening to music. Giving me the "loud volumes may cause hearing damage"

Why does it do this? My iPhone, never even gave a warning.

Top Bottom