• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

freaking kidding me right? My phone literally just lowered the volume to my headphones while listening to music. Giving me the "loud volumes may cause hearing damage"

Why does it do this? My iPhone, never even gave a warning.

Interesting. My Nexus 5 does this sometimes. I know that the warning is a mandatory health warning (at least in the EU, I think). Android does it once after every reboot, I think.

I JUST bought a Band like two months ago. I love the thing, but I can see where its durability may not be the best... a new one with added flexibility would be godsend.

Maybe since it seems like a durability issue MS will give me a refund that I can put to a new one...

hadareud

The Translator
freaking kidding me right? My phone literally just lowered the volume to my headphones while listening to music. Giving me the "loud volumes may cause hearing damage"

Why does it do this? My iPhone, never even gave a warning.

It has done this since 8.0, forever.

And it lowers the volume after each reboot, too, like Brot's Android.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
It has done this since 8.0, forever.

And it lowers the volume after each reboot, too, like Brot's Android.

I don't care if it lowers after a reboot. But my icon never actually lowered the volume while I was using it like it did today.

hadareud

The Translator
Happens once every now and then. It's annoying when I'm driving with my phone connected to the auxiliary port, but it's not like it's killing you.

Laranja

Guys, could you give me some help?

Both me and my father have WP sets - a 520 and 630, respectively - and the two phones stopped getting a signal a couple of hours ago. Any of you have any idea of what could be causing this?

We're both on WP8.1.

captive

Yea well that's all well and good but I live in 'Murcia and if I want to blow my eardrums listening to Slayer at volume 25 of 30, by gawd I'm going to do it. And id love it if the damn warning went away. I've not heard of any such nonsense or silly law here 'cause we ain't no nanny state.

Klocker

Yea well that's all well and good but I live in 'Murcia and if I want to blow my eardrums listening to Slayer at volume 25 of 30, by gawd I'm going to do it. And id love it if the damn warning went away. I've not heard of any such nonsense or silly law here 'cause we ain't no nanny state.

yea, I think its aim is to help kids who don't know any better and where the most long term hearing damage occurs, in youth.

Happens on my 830 and pretty sure it happened on all my Nokias. Every so often I'll be listening to a podcast, then I notice the volume is lower than normal and lo, the warning appears on my phone and it's set to the dreaded 13.

ElNino

What volume are you listening at? I've never had this happen to me on any of my devices, but I don't think I've ever gone over 15 when using headphones. Only when I connect to Bluetooth will I jack it up to 30.

What volume are you listening at? I've never had this happen to me on any of my devices, but I don't think I've ever gone over 15 when using headphones. Only when I connect to Bluetooth will I jack it up to 30.
[super simplified answer]
more expensive headphones can sometimes require more volume to reach the same decibel level

nillapuddin

check subreddit
check gaf

check subreddit
check gaf

check subreddit
check gaf
check windows central

check subreddit
check gaf

check subreddit
check gaf

check subreddit
check gaf

check subreddit
check gaf

DESPERATE FOR FLAGSHIPZZ

Man this is so annoying. It has been a week or so now and I still can't have windows 10 on my phone. Everytime I try to update to it my phone gets stuck O the screen with the spinning gears. I really hope they fix this soon.

captive

I think I was at 15 yesterday when it happened. Using some nice sony noice cancelling cans. When I mow the lawn I use earbuds and I'm usually around 18-20, but its never once lowered the volume while doing that.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I may have defected with an S6 Edge. Not sure if I'll keep it though.

I'm about to give up on mine. Incredible hardware, but touchwiz is jank central and the battery life is horrendous. Just today, I wanted to use Google maps to get directions to a hotel and the damn thing just slowed to a crawl. Had to reboot it. This is a beast of a phone, eight cores and plenty of ram, plus the most beautiful screen I've ever seen, but somehow Samsung and Google (5.0) have conspired to bring the hardware to its knees. Amazing.

kharma45

It's only Microsoft's fault at this point. Been almost two years since the Lumia 1520 was announced (October 22nd 2013).

Christ I didn't realise it's been that long.

I'm about to give up on mine. Incredible hardware, but touchwiz is jank central and the battery life is horrendous. Just today, I wanted to use Google maps to get directions to a hotel and the damn thing just slowed to a crawl. Had to reboot it. This is a beast of a phone, eight cores and plenty of ram, plus the most beautiful screen I've ever seen, but somehow Samsung and Google (5.0) have conspired to bring the hardware to its knees. Amazing.

Pity, didn't think the S6s would be like that.

Really dude?

At £15 a month it was too good an offer to pass up on the 128GB version, although in saying that I wouldn't be surprised if EE cancelled it.

maeh2k

Somehow my mother managed to fill 39GB of her 40GB OneDrive just with photos from her 920. The camera roll folder contains more than 10k files.

Since a week or so my WP10 (latest built) is almost unusable... slow, locks up when unlocking, tiles that are unresponsive or just empty. I need a new built!!!

maeh2k

My sister has an issue with her phone, where she experiences sudden drops in battery life -- it can go down from 70+ percent to shutting off within minutes (or maybe even less).

Am I right to assume that it basically can only stem from a defective battery? Having the battery replaced costs 70 Euros. If that solves the problem and the phone can still be used for some time, that would be worth it. I'm just wondering if anything else could lead to that symptom.

(disclaimer: it's actually a Sony Xperia Z1 compact -- not that it makes much of a difference)

NeOak

My sister has an issue with her phone, where she experiences sudden drops in battery life -- it can go down from 70+ percent to shutting off within minutes (or maybe even less).

Am I right to assume that it basically can only stem from a defective battery? Having the battery replaced costs 70 Euros. If that solves the problem and the phone can still be used for some time, that would be worth it. I'm just wondering if anything else could lead to that symptom.

(disclaimer: it's actually a Sony Xperia Z1 compact -- not that it makes much of a difference)
Yeah, most likely the battery is already old and has too many cycles in it.

KageMaru

Am I assuming right that hey Cortana isn't available in this current build?

Also the weirdest thing happened to me in outlook. My battery was low and once battery saver turned on, the last 3 or so months old emails disappeared from my work account. I later charged the phone and the emails populated again but I've never experienced that before.

Since a week or so my WP10 (latest built) is almost unusable... slow, locks up when unlocking, tiles that are unresponsive or just empty. I need a new built!!!

Have you downloaded any apps recently? Maybe it was coincidence but I ran into performance issues after downloading the Plex app. Huge delays when trying to open apps, which sometimes never opened after loading for far too long, or the entire phone becoming unresponsive, forcing a reboot.

I'm surprised that we haven't heard anything about a new build yet. I thought part of the reason behind the delay of the most recent build was because they were branching off a team for the mobile version. Was hoping we'd see quicker turn around now.

hadareud

The Translator
You have to do a hard reset to get things working properly, I'm afraid.

Btw, I'm happy to say that the latest build has not deteriorated on my 1020 yet. It runs exactly the same as it did on day one.

Which is not to say that things are great, because there were long loading screens from day one every now and then and there still are.

But battery life is relatively ok and in general it works ok(ish), at least.

Top Bottom