• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Real talk, I decided not to bring the 930 with me to Chicago and I highly regret it. The S6 edge chugs if I'm running maps and a music app (Spotify, groove). I must have a defective unit, how can an eight core processor be brought to its knees with basic apps? I'm having a terrible time with the battery drain and the lockups and the jank.

frontieruk

Real talk, I decided not to bring the 930 with me to Chicago and I highly regret it. The S6 edge chugs if I'm running maps and a music app (Spotify, groove). I must have a defective unit, how can an eight core processor be brought to its knees with basic apps? I'm having a terrible time with the battery drain and the lockups and the jank.

Jank... Android is going through the wintel period of OS ATM, why optimise the os when we can release faster hardware to accommodate it? Unless they find a new way to store power performance increases are going to cease sooner rather than later and the OS will be looked at, I'm not blaming Google its the OEM vendors with their jank, my htc one never performed as well with sense on it as when I had cyanogen on it.

Nikodemos

Jank... Android is going through the wintel period of OS ATM, why optimise the os when we can release faster hardware to accommodate it? Unless they find a new way to store power performance increases are going to cease sooner rather than later and the OS will be looked at, I'm not blaming Google its the OEM vendors with their jank, my htc one never performed as well with sense on it as when I had cyanogen on it.

Actually, Google is to blame at the core since it's them who yolo their way through Android versions, leaving OEMs to brute force through their bloatware. While stuff like TouchWiz, Sense, MiUI etc. pile extra crap on top of it, the basic problem of Android being an unoptimised POS remains.

ElNino

Dropped "The GOAT" today

Bought a 640, pretty nice
I dropped my 1020 on my patio stones today while I was grilling dinner. The Incipio case I have on it flew off but the phone is no worse for wear.

I was really close to buying a used 830 not long ago as I love the form factor, but I'm waiting to see what the flagships will be like now.

Anyone on ATT having issues with outgoing texts? My 830 and my coworkers 635 are having the same issue. We can receive texts but can't send texts out. The 635 at least gives a "can't send" notification but my 830 gives no such message and people who text me are texting back asking why I haven't replied.

NeOak

Anyone on ATT having issues with outgoing texts? My 830 and my coworkers 635 are having the same issue. We can receive texts but can't send texts out. The 635 at least gives a "can't send" notification but my 830 gives no such message and people who text me are texting back asking why I haven't replied.

I can't receive texts atm

Heretic

I can't receive texts atm

I couldn't send or receive for about 3 or 4 weeks. Had to wait to a new build.

MCD

OK. I really love this 640 and highly think it's the best Lumia post Nokia but there is something seriously wrong with the resuming process.

Most of the time, next Gen reader, Whatsapp, mytube, IE will restart instead of resuming where I left off. Is this a known design flaw with cheap phones? Known issue?

Nikodemos

OK. I really love this 640 and highly think it's the best Lumia post Nokia but there is something seriously wrong with the resuming process.

Most of the time, next Gen reader, Whatsapp, mytube, IE will restart instead of resuming where I left off. Is this a known design flaw with cheap phones? Known issue?
I suspect it's because of the 640's hardware limitations. Remember that the phone is built around a bog-standard Snapdragon 400, a decidedly low-end SoC.

hadareud

The Translator
I'm resisting as long as I can, I'm getting tired of rebuilding my apps, accounts and start screen layout.

Start screen layout is backed up in W10 mobile, most apps don't need another sign in either anymore (though of course you lose your history in some).

Of course you have to update your settings in some apps and sync your music again etc., but everything should be back to how it was in less than an hour after the reset if you have a decent wifi connection.

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/636690623714586624

CNX6v5GWoAAqNOJ.jpg

Bezels are no worse than iPhone 6 and you don't see people stop buying those.

I can live with the bezel as long as the iris scanner is in the and works well.

Ugly silver logo and silver camera ring thing.

Surface team, you're up to bat.

Bottom bezel looks to be the same size or maybe even larger than the 1520 on the XL...with onscreen buttons. :/

The volume rocker split is less of a deal breaker, but baffling as well.

Assuming my 1520.3 doesn't have any issues with Win 10 this fall, I see little reason to "upgrade".

hankster

Not sure about:

- power button in middle of volume buttons on blue

- silver face on the camera hump on black

Will need to see these in person and / or more photos / angles . . .

Ugly, but I'll wait for the press shots and videos. MS needs to hurry up and unveil these.

A little surprised they are waiting so long, this is their relaunch of Windows Phone and Apple is probably going to announce and release their new phones this year before MSFT even announces these.

Tablo

they just look like higher end but less simple than the 640/640 XL
not sure if I like the looks, but looks aren't the whole story

Bezels are no worse than iPhone 6 and you don't see people stop buying those.

I can live with the bezel as long as the iris scanner is in the and works well.

Ugly silver logo and silver camera ring thing.

Surface team, you're up to bat.

Iphone has a button/finger print reader at the bottom...this has on screen buttons.

Paganmoon

God damnit Microsoft, they look like 640, with minor tweaks. Very plastic. Get the Surface team on your phone division, stat!

Anyone else not able to get the windows phone store through the webbrowser? I keep getting redirected to the Microsoftstore.

I get to windowsphone.com, search for an app, see results, select one, and get redirected to Microsoft store. Same with links to apps from for instance windowscentral.com Not sure if it's just the localized Swedish page that's acting up. Think it started behaving like this around the time Windows 10 launched on desktops.

Milchjon

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

What were they thinking.

Truly no Nokia left in these things anymore.

Fuck dammit. Time to finally accept reality and switch.

Those silver circles, what the hell. They out-Samsung'd Samsung.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Absolutely hideous stuff.

And to think Lumia used to be the most stylish line in the smartphone space.

Edit: Software buttons? Fuck. Off.

Milchjon

Microsoft has been doing so well in hardware design in the past few years. How can they end up with something like this for pretty much their last attempt to kinda save their mobile business

Top Bottom