• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

MqDRkW3.gif

The over-reactions here are hilarious.

They're rectangles... like 99% of all other smart phones out there.

I can understand the disappointment that they're pretty much identical in looks to almost everything else on the market, but exclamations of "hideous" and "disgusting" are a little melodramatic.

I can understand the disappointment that they're pretty much identical in looks to almost everything else on the market, but exclamations of "hideous" and "disgusting" are a little melodramatic.

People expect better from Lumia flagships. All they had to do was using the existing Lumia 830 design.

Camera hump. Software buttons. Large bezels despite software buttons. Baffling split volume buttons with power button in between.

Dirt.

Edit: my 930 looks miles better than either of these.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Lumia flagships have been awarded numerous design prices and they've been some of the best looking phones around since Windows Phone's inception. My ancient 920 still looks like a million bucks. Even the milketoast "affordable flagship" 830 never fails to grab some eyeballs.

These are trash.

I must have shit in my eye then, because as far as I can see they look the same as pretty much everything else out there.
Except they don't. If you consider the general shape of the device -- a rectangle, hurr -- to be the point at which design starts and ends then good for you. We know most devices are generally similar in that respect, but it's the subtleties and the finer details that make or break a design. And that's why these look awful, the finer details.

José Mourinho;176686207 said:
Except they don't. If you consider the general shape of the device -- a rectangle, hurr -- to be the point at which design starts and ends then good for you. We know most devices are generally similar in that respect, but it's the subtleties and the finer details that make or break a design. And that's why these look awful, the finer details.

That's all fine and dandy, dandy and fine... but my original point was that they don't look so drastically different to pretty much everything else out there to warrant comments like "hideous" and "disgusting".

derFeef

That's all fine and dandy, dandy and fine... but my original point was that they don't look so drastically different to pretty much everything else out there to warrant comments like "hideous" and "disgusting".

But the point is, almost everything else out there looks hideous.

Suerte

Looks like I'll be keeping my 830 for a while yet then - it's still the pinnacle of Lumia design so far.

Fingers still crossed for a Surface phone next year...

No, that is the whole argument.

Everything else out there does not look great, well designed or inspiring and Lumia flagships never looked like everything else out there.

In the same way I'm disappointed in these new Lumias, I'm sort of fine with the new LG Nexus 5, even though it looks super bland and boring. Do you know why? Because I don't expect Google and LG to come up with good hardware design.

Those new Lumia phones do not meet expectations for a flagship Lumia at all and compared to something like the 830 or 930 or even the full plastic 920, that looks indeed hideous. So yes, you're right, it looks no different from other phones and that's a problem.

Wait, those are the allegedly high end phones? Ugh, when I saw the pictures yesterday I assumed they were the cheap ones XD

They do look terrible, really bad design all around.

I still can't get over the shitty on-screen buttons. Fuck sake.

I still have not heard one good argument for on-screen buttons. I always hear thinner bezels but have yet to see a phone that does that right, except for the new Motorola phones. It's a stupid cost saving measure that no one benefits from, except for OEMs.

PG2G

So now that there is no free OneNote app on PC, have you guys switched to something else?

OneNote between the two was pretty common to my workflow and it is annoying to have to go into the web client to do stuff.

JaggedSac

So now that there is no free OneNote app on PC, have you guys switched to something else?

OneNote between the two was pretty common to my workflow and it is annoying to have to go into the web client to do stuff.

They put OneNote behind the Office sub?

hwalker84

Since when? It's been free since last year.

kharma45

I still have not heard one good argument for on-screen buttons. I always hear thinner bezels but have yet to see a phone that does that right, except for the new Motorola phones. It's a stupid cost saving measure that no one benefits from, except for OEMs.
Nexus 6 managed it right.

PG2G

Shit, I'm wrong. I saw a 'Looks like you don't have Office 365' in the Windows 10 app and assumed I was screwed.

My bad

Klocker

Industrial design aside.
... I do like what appears to be a wider form factor for their screen size.

I'm guessing it is not as tall as other phones of the same screen size giving more real estate for keyboard and reading. Tough to tell but sure appears that way.

Sad, Lumia releases are so few and far between these days and this is what Microsoft is going to give us? Sure it may have some premium components but the look is far from premium. 940s just don't make me want to give up my 830 for them. Where are the features associated with premium phones; unibody design, curved glass, metals, unique design, etc.

There's the rumored Surface phone but will it even be released if these phones fail to get traction yet again?

hadareud

The Translator
I'm hoping that there's different colour back-plates on sale.

I think the smaller one would look pretty good in orange or green.

Nikodemos

As long as the nav bars disappear inside apps, I don't think this is going to be a problem. The screen seems to be decently-sized without them.

However, what I absolutely despise about the new phones is the big fat 'Microsoft' on the front. It's crap and ugly. Let's face it, MS have never been a cachet marque. Why put your uninspired logo on your flagship? Keep it clean, or, at most, put 'Lumia' there instead.

As long as the nav bars disappear inside apps, I don't think this is going to be a problem. The screen seems to be decently-sized without them.

However, what I absolutely despise about the new phones is the big fat 'Microsoft' on the front. It's crap and ugly. Let's face it, MS have never been a cachet marque. Why put your uninspired logo on your flagship? Keep it clean, or, at most, put 'Lumia' there instead.

Yeah, the Windows symbol is enough.

Overall, disappointed in the look...but I will say that the pic of someone holding it, vs the leaked product images, makes it look a bit better.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yeah, it does looks better.

My main concerns with Window's virtual buttons is that they are basically a janky, huge ass, coloured bar that basically blocks the interface and that they happen to be poorly responsive in comparison to Android.

I don't know if Windows 10 will improve them, but they feel like a complete afterthought in Windows Phone 8.

They look very much like Nexus phones. Boring.

Having said that, Nexus is amazing. AMAZING. Right?

edit:

7ZN6Sqe.jpg

vs

n9xi5ci.jpg

Is there actually all that much in it?

Looks a bit smaller, but pretty negligible, really.

Seems to me you're all just moaning for the sake of moaning.

First of all, Nexus is amazing if the price is right. You usually get good, but flawed hardware for a good price. The Nexus 5 2013 was basically a Lumia 930 for 349 bucks. How is that not amazing? If the new Nexus 5 has a similar price, I'll definitely get it.

And yes, the phone looks better with colored on screen buttons. I wrote that post before I saw the picture. The top bezel on both phones is still bigger though. You might as well flip the bezels and put the hardware buttons there. The Nexus at least has a good excuse because of the front facing speakers.

Top Bottom