• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
I was taking the piss Brot, at least partly.

I think the design is fairly boring and I don't understand why they didn't build on the 930 and 830 designs, which were very nice.

That said, I don't think the bezel is that big when you compare it to most of the competition. And the phones are also not ugly, just bland. Which in itself is a disappointment considering that they had 2 years to work on the bloody things.

A bit of colour would help. Let's hope they provide that via exchangeable covers.

All in all the reaction here is still over the top. And not in the fantastic Sly arm-wrestling sort of way, but in a hysterical internet whingefest one.

maeh2k

They look very much like Nexus phones. Boring.

Having said that, Nexus is amazing. AMAZING. Right?

edit:

7ZN6Sqe.jpg

vs

n9xi5ci.jpg

Is there actually all that much in it?

Looks a bit smaller, but pretty negligible, really.

Seems to me you're all just moaning for the sake of moaning.

It's funny how Android now has the clean UI and Windows Phone is a cluttered mess.*

* in that specific customization

They look very much like Nexus phones. Boring.

Having said that, Nexus is amazing. AMAZING. Right?

edit:

7ZN6Sqe.jpg

vs

n9xi5ci.jpg

Is there actually all that much in it?

Looks a bit smaller, but pretty negligible, really.

Seems to me you're all just moaning for the sake of moaning.
Android software button implementation is streets ahead of Windows. Windows buttons look tacked on. Just an observation.

All in all the reaction here is still over the top. And not in the fantastic Sly arm-wrestling sort of way, but in a hysterical internet whingefest one.
Nah. These devices look at worst terrible, at best uninspiring. Plus, nobody has actually been overly whingey. They looked at phones, said the design was rubbish and lamented the lack of hardware buttons. A fair critique.

Mine (work related) is coming tomorrow.

Bruh. BlackBerry's first Android phones look ah-mah-zing.

I'm not interested in the Passport because of the form factor, but the slider looks really good (and I'm not even interested in the keyboard).

I was taking the piss Brot, at least partly.

I think the design is fairly boring and I don't understand why they didn't build on the 930 and 830 designs, which were very nice.

That said, I don't think the bezel is that big when you compare it to most of the competition. And the phones are also not ugly, just bland. Which in itself is a disappointment considering that they had 2 years to work on the bloody things.

A bit of colour would help. Let's hope they provide that via exchangeable covers.

It's funny. I'd admit and say that the bitching got worse in this thread, but yesterday I went back to the original Windows Phone thread and hoooly shit. The bitching, whining and moaning. Jesus. Doesn't help that I saw the posts around the time NoDo was (not) released. I thought that even I was better, but nope. Same old whiny bitch. Except that I actually had a Windows Phone. :lol

hadareud

The Translator
José Mourinho;176706017 said:
Android software button implementation is streets ahead of Windows. Windows buttons look tacked on. Just an observation.

I've never used a WP with software buttons, but if the implementation is worse than that of Android other than the subjective looks of them I'm very worried indeed. Because on my Moto E they are shite.

Not that HW buttons are all that great either, by the way. The amount of times I've accidentally pressed one over the years is ridiculous. Actual buttons are still by far the best solution imo, but no one seems to want that either.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The Nexus 5 2013 was basically a Lumia 930 for 349 bucks. How is that not amazing? If the new Nexus 5 has a similar price, I'll definitely get it.

I know what you really meant was "same chipset and screen resolution", but for those that may not know any better, I have to qualify that statement by saying that the 930 has better build materials, better ffc, better battery life, and a camera that is so much better that they're really not in the same league.

JaggedSac

I've never used a WP with software buttons, but if the implementation is worse than that of Android other than the subjective looks of them I'm very worried indeed. Because on my Moto E they are shite.

Not that HW buttons are all that great either, by the way. The amount of times I've accidentally pressed one over the years is ridiculous. Actual buttons are still by far the best solution imo, but no one seems to want that either.

I don't have much problem with the software buttons on the M8. Only a couple apps don't resize with them out. It is responsive when I swipe them in and out. Perhaps in WP10 this is improved over the WP8 onscreen buttons. I don't really see the concern. I don't notice a functional difference between how I use it besides the fact that I can hide them now which removes the opportunity for me to accidentally hit buttons like I did with the capacitative ones that were on my 1020.

frontieruk

I'm not interested in the Passport because of the form factor, but the slider looks really good (and I'm not even interested in the keyboard).

It's funny. I'd admit and say that the bitching got worse in this thread, but yesterday I went back to the original Windows Phone thread and hoooly shit. The bitching, whining and moaning. Jesus. Doesn't help that I saw the posts around the time NoDo was (not) released. I thought that even I was better, but nope. Same old whiny bitch. Except that we all actually had a Windows Phone. :lol

ftfy

I know what you really meant was "same chipset and screen resolution", but for those that may not know any better, I have to qualify that statement by saying that the 930 has better build materials, better ffc, better battery life, and a camera that is so much better that they're really not in the same league.

Yes, I was too vague. Sorry about that. It's not a premium device, like the 930. The camera on the Nexus 5 isn't even worth mentioning, it's that bad. Worse than the one in the 920 I had before, too (despite having the same MP count and OIS). But you get the same chipset, screen size and resolution, really good screen quality (without having to worry about burn in) and LTE.

If it wasn't for the battery, I really wouldn't consider getting a new phone at all. It's still as fast as it was the day I got it (over a year ago) and I didn't even wipe the phone after upgrading from 4.4 to 5.0-5.1.1. I suppose I can consider myself lucky, because I wasn't affected by the memory leak.

The new Nexus 5 is supposed to have a metal frame, so that would help with the feel in your hand, but I'm not expecting it.

Klocker

Man with the app updates to win mobile 10 preview, I am really digging this OS

Running it on a back up for fun but can not wait to get it on my daily driver full release

mrklaw

MrArseFace
After I lost my job and retuned my 930, I've had a Z3. I like it well enough, but the camera is a bit lacklustre. Was curious to see what the new lumia 9xx models would look like are a little bland, and don't have the style that the 930 or 830 had.

But lots of new androids aren't exactly setting the world alight wih their designs. I'll probably wait to see what the new nexus phones are like, and especially the cameras on those Vs the 950 and iPhone 6S. I think I'll pick my next phone purely on camera quality as the OSes are pretty interchangeable to me.

Although how Windows 10 and android apps work on Windows phone are something I need to learn more about. Are there things in win 10 to synchronise settings etc between phone and PC? I don't think I'm that interested about apps working on both platforms. How about an OSX continuity equivalent between Windows phone and PC?

Paganmoon

2015 Moto X looks so much more premium, only $399 too. No ugly front logo, no ugly chrome rings and logo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUDcA1CP0QU

Meh, just a rectangle shaped phone. Looks exactly like the 640 950.

Anyway, in good news Lara Croft GO released today, day and date with with other platforms, which is awesome. Though it doesn't seem like it wants to download on my phone. Stuck on "waiting".

Also, it's apparently both for Phone and Tablet/Windows Store, so I'm guessing universal app, but why not available on Windows 10 Mobile, or Windows 10 Store?

Edit:
Well it's downloading on my surface 2, but still stuck on "waiting" on my phone. Tried aborting the download and restarting, and every now and then when I check the store, the app goes appears unbought, selecting buy, gives info that I already own the game, and gives me option of downloading. And then gets stuck on waiting. Reboot of phone does not help either

Man with the app updates to win mobile 10 preview, I am really digging this OS

Running it on a back up for fun but can not wait to get it on my daily driver full release

What app have been updated? My store stopped working and no update is showing app, not even the new photos app from last week :(

Klocker

What app have been updated? My store stopped working and no update is showing app, not even the new photos app from last week :(

Turned on phone last night after about a week or so and got updates to most core apps

I'm guessing they have been out for a little while already but I got.... iirc

Groove
News
Weather
Mail, calendar
Calculator
Alarms
Cortana
Maps
OneDrive
OneNote

Had to restart the phone a couple times to get them all updated

I had a bunch of apps that will not update and just canceled them like the Lumina stuff other nonessential apps that never update in 10.

Turned on phone last night after about a week or so and got updates to most core apps

I'm guessing they have been out for a little while already but I got.... iirc

Groove
News
Weather
Mail, calendar
Calculator
Alarms
Cortana
Maps
OneDrive
OneNote

Had to restart the phone a couple times to get them all updated

I had a bunch of apps that will not update and just canceled them like the Lumina stuff other nonessential apps that never update in 10.

I haven't had an update to those apps since the latest preview hit (and some of them were updated on the desktop), so my store is probably broken and missing updates :(

Klocker

I haven't had an update to those apps since the latest preview hit (and some of them were updated on the desktop), so my store is probably broken and missing updates :(

Reset and dont restore... Made a huge difference after the last build for me it takes a bit longer but worth it imo

Not a fan of the chrome bling everywhere on the back of the phone. What material were the 920 buttons made out of?

I switched to WP almost entirely based on the visual design of the 920. Nokia's pictures of that phone, with those bright bold live tiles, were really something else. These pics don't do much for me. But in the years since the 920 was released I've had a lot of time to look at a bunch of different Nokia phones, and Microsoft has had a lot of time to turn the WP10 start screen into a jumbled mess.

You guys want some real news here?

Apple officially supports Microsoft's new Edge browser in Windows 10 for their live streaming.

"Requirements: Live streaming uses Apple’s HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) technology. HLS requires an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with Safari on iOS 7.0 or later, a Mac with Safari 6.0.5 or later on OS X v10.8.5 or later, or a PC with Edge on Windows 10. Streaming via Apple TV requires a second- or third-generation Apple TV with software 6.2 or later."

Insane. What's next? Satya Nadella on stage?

I wonder if it's going to work on mobile, too.

clav

Apple officially supports Microsoft's new Edge browser in Windows 10 for their live streaming.

"Requirements: Live streaming uses Apple’s HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) technology. HLS requires an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with Safari on iOS 7.0 or later, a Mac with Safari 6.0.5 or later on OS X v10.8.5 or later, or a PC with Edge on Windows 10. Streaming via Apple TV requires a second- or third-generation Apple TV with software 6.2 or later."

I think that's more of Edge's support for encrypted live streaming + perhaps additional HTML5 requirements.

Chrome and Firefox can't do that.

Yeah, any rumors on the stylus for the Cityman?

Someone earlier asked about a stylus hole in the phone but the early rumor was that the stylus holder was a part of the optional case.

Shame the Cityman has all that bezel real estate but doesn't have front facing stereo speakers. I watch tons of YouTube vids on my 830 and the single rear facing speaker is annoying.

JaggedSac

Yeah, any rumors on the stylus for the Cityman?

Someone earlier asked about a stylus hole in the phone but the early rumor was that the stylus holder was a part of the optional case.

Shame the Cityman has all that bezel real estate but doesn't have front facing stereo speakers. I watch tons of YouTube vids on my 830 and the single rear facing speaker is annoying.

Ah, hadn't heard about it being in the case, thanks.

hankster

Isn't it obvious? Tim is seizing the opportunity to flip all those disappointed WP users right over to a shiny new 6S with DSLR quality images and driver updates as they are released by Apple! Clever devil...

Milchjon

Prove it.

You want me to list all the ugly cases out there? I think there's a character limit to GAF posts.

How about you show me one case that doesn't totally destroy a pretty phone's looks.

Cause I haven't yet seen one.

(I don't question the purpose of cases. I just question their looks.)

You want me to list all the ugly cases out there? I think there's a character limit to GAF posts.

How about you show me one case that doesn't totally destroy a pretty phone's looks.

Cause I haven't yet seen one.

(I don't question the purpose of cases. I just question their looks.)

6jorYGm.jpg

Your turn.

Top Bottom