• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

If it sells more iPhones and Apple TVs, sure, why not.

From all the posts you made in this thread, this is where you try to be reasonable? Come on.

That looks nice.

Here, I got another picture.

X9qV0Fo.jpg

That thing's gaudy as fuark.

That's a bit harsch, but you do need a bit of confidence to pull it off, that's true.

How about this one?

oVMXjK0.jpg

Only real negative is that you can't see the Apple logo.
And lets be real here, why else would you buy an iPhone?

That's the problem. MS made a phone. They should have made a lifestyle.

Actually, that back shot doesn't look like the backs on the previous page.

It is the same, it's just the color that makes it look different.
But (at least the picture) looks better. Although I'm still disappointed that there's not metal like the 830 design, I'll wait until the glamour shots for judgement.

JaggedSac

It is the same, it's just the color that makes it look different.
But (at least the picture) looks better. Although I'm still disappointed that there's not metal like the 830 design, I'll wait until the glamour shots for judgement.

Nah, that back pic has a protruding circle below the camera hump and two flash ovals. The pics on other page had neither.

JaggedSac

Brad Sams hinted at it on Twitter. He's on the Microsoft campus today (MS is having a business related event, I think) and will probably talk about it on the Redmond Report later today. I can not wait.

https://twitter.com/bdsams/status/637277526050537472

While I'm not a huge fan or avid reader of Neowin, he's been talking about the October launch of the Surface Pro 4 (hnnng!) way before anyone else.

Wonder if they will brand the keyboard with the windows symbol.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It would be hilarious (and the most Microsoft thing ever) if they released the Android version before Windows 10 ever had a taste of it.

SMH.

Paganmoon

So the store updated on my 1020 running W10TP, however, doing so removed the tile from the start screen, and I can't add it again, as the option is greyed out in the applist. Any ideas?

Edit: nm, reboot helped. Store feels much snappier after update too.

mm04

How do I prevent my phone from uploading my photos to OneDrive over cellular data in Windows 10 for mobile? I'm burning through my data.

They changed it from 8.1? In 8.1 it's Settings > photos+camera> Auto upload > Onedrive. I only take Best quality photos, so they go through Wi-Fi only. Those are the only options in 8.1 at least.

How do I prevent my phone from uploading my photos to OneDrive over cellular data in Windows 10 for mobile? I'm burning through my data.

They changed it from 8.1? In 8.1 it's Settings > photos+camera> Auto upload > Onedrive. I only take Best quality photos, so they go through Wi-Fi only. Those are the only options in 8.1 at least.
They changed, now it's from the settings in the OneDrive app, and there's no way to select quality. You either upload the original or nothing. But there's an option for uploading with cellular data.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Hey guys I found an old 520 and I want to give it to my 9 year old daughter to use. Is there a way to lock it down so that she would need a password or pin to browse the web or use certain apps based on rating?

Actually, now that I see it again, isn't that the Huawei Nexus leak?

Actually, the picture I posted was the new Nexus 5. It does illustrate wonderfully why the new Lumias are bad.

Wordflow on android brings me closer to a Moto X.

That one would be my pick, if it had Qi charging and wasn't 499 here.

Hey guys I found an old 520 and I want to give it to my 9 year old daughter to use. Is there a way to lock it down so that she would need a password or pin to browse the web or use certain apps based on rating?

Uhm. Do I really have to remind you?

frTvggB.jpg

(at least I hope it works like that. If not, what about parental controls?)

maeh2k

I don't quite see the business value of bringing the keyboard to Android. It's not like it's tied to a subscription or supported by ads or in-app purchases.

Maybe they know Windows Phone's going down and want to preserve the work they did on the keyboard. Or they prepare for an Android fork that replaces all the non-AOSP stuff.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Uhm. Do I really have to remind you?

(at least I hope it works like that. If not, what about parental controls?)

I would rather be able to have a kid account on the phone rather than just kids corner. I managed to create account, but I don't see an option to control IE access.

giga

I don't quite see the business value of bringing the keyboard to Android. It's not like it's tied to a subscription or supported by ads or in-app purchases.

Maybe they know Windows Phone's going down and want to preserve the work they did on the keyboard. Or they prepare for an Android fork that replaces all the non-AOSP stuff.
User data

Android will get-

WordFlow
Cortana
Groove

Any Android equivalent to Tubecast, Metrotube, etc? I'm so use to not having ads, downloading videos for offline, etc, that I could never go back to the stock YouTube app on Android.

Android will get-

WordFlow
Cortana
Groove

Any Android equivalent to Tubecast, Metrotube, etc? I'm so use to not having ads, downloading videos for offline, etc, that I could never go back to the stock YouTube app on Android.

Groove isn't worth mentioning, unless they revamp the whole app.
And Cortana isn't as useful, if it can't be voice activated. But it's definitely getting better, if it already can replace Google Now on the home button.

Tablo

Yeah basically all 3 WP8.1 devices in our house have failed backups. Idk wtf is wrong.
Flip side is they seem to backup texts which is rly all I care about.

toff74

I'm after just a little bit of help.

The wife smashed her 925 last week so I got her a 640 as a replacement (great phone for the price) and after copying all the photos from one to the other they are not quite mixed up, but definitely not in the same order.

I know that when you copy and paste or move, windows gives the file a new 'created' date and this is how the photos are now sorted. The question is:

Can I move the files from the 925 to the 640 and maintain the original 'created' by date?

Klocker

What I would do is instead of copying the pics over just populate the one drive album on the phone's photo app and show her how to view the photos from one drive instead of on phone. Formatting and creation dates would be original and should sort in order.

Otherwise I'm not sure bow to copy and maintain the dates.

NeOak

I'm after just a little bit of help.

The wife smashed her 925 last week so I got her a 640 as a replacement (great phone for the price) and after copying all the photos from one to the other they are not quite mixed up, but definitely not in the same order.

I know that when you copy and paste or move, windows gives the file a new 'created' date and this is how the photos are now sorted. The question is:

Can I move the files from the 925 to the 640 and maintain the original 'created' by date?

No, I had the same issue moving pictures from a 64GB microSD to a 128GB microSD.

Klocker

I sure hope they are going to update one drive for wm10 ... It is lacking the sort feature to allow to view by date created.. Necessary to view pertinent files in larger folders for work.

also Calendar should allow assigning an event to a different calendar within the user calendar when editing.

made the jump and got my 830 on the latest w10 preview build. so far so good but mad disappointed that lumia camera 5 and netflix still don't work on my "fake denim" 830.

on the W10 preview build, can you not change the tab button on the browser bar to a favorites button?

also, how do you consolidate inboxes?

NeOak

Why not Nexus phones?

Update situation is still a mess after all these years.

Rumors say that the BB Androids will be the big 4 carriers in the US.

Pretty much means everywhere. Which going by what happened with the 930 and 1520, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 950 as Verizon exclusive and 950 XL as AT&T exclusive >.>

clav

Pretty much means everywhere. Which going by what happened with the 930 and 1520, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 950 as Verizon exclusive and 950 XL as AT&T exclusive >.>

Considering something like the Samsung S6 Active is carrier exclusive, I wouldn't be surprised.

Depends on what carrier availability will be. Which will play a big part of if I stay on WP.

I'm weighing on what the big 3 have to show in these next few months.

And both phones are going to be EOL after 3 months (see Lumia 640 on T-Mobile).

Top Bottom