• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hwalker84

The look of the 950 and 950 XL are bullshit, blah, basic looking dumbphones. I seriously hope they look slightly better in video. These look 640 XL's. Virtual buttons... No fingerprint scanner... UGH. I've been on the 1520 for two years. Please revamp or get the Surface team on a phone.

The look of the 950 and 950 XL are bullshit, blah, basic looking dumbphones. I seriously hope they look slightly better in video. These look 640 XL's. Virtual buttons... No fingerprint scanner... UGH. I've been on the 1520 for two years. Please revamp or get the Surface team on a phone.

it's got an iris scanner which by early reports, works better than a fingerprint scanner.

hwalker84

it's got an iris scanner which by early reports, works better than a fingerprint scanner.

Having to pick the phone up and put it to my face is ridiculous compared to being able to press my finger on a scanner in my pocket and have it unlocked by the time I pull it out. Cool for a laptop or tablet but a phone... barely interested.

Having to pick the phone up and put it to my face is ridiculous compared to being able to press my finger on a scanner in my pocket and have it unlocked by the time I pull it out. Cool for a laptop or tablet but a phone... barely interested.

You don't have to pick it up and put it to your face... Just look at your phone which I'm assuming you'll already want to do if you're going to use it.

hadareud

The Translator

How do you usually use your phone?

By not looking at it? Maybe they could release a braille version for you.

Ragus

Banned
I want to go back to Windows Phone, at least for a year before iP7 comes out. Now I'm using 6 and I would like to try a good WP Phone. 930 looks great, but that battery life is just not good enough.

So, 1520 I guess. Big, but it looks great in yellow. Few questions:

1. Does Spotify work as good as on iOS? I remember having many problems with it on 920. The music would just stop playing, etc.
2. How is facebook app?
3. Is IE is as barebones as it was at the beginning of WP8? I remember no forward button (or back?), some problems with ads and I would also love to hide that black bar at the bottom
4. Any improvements to the keyboard? Can I resize it?
5. I heard you can now turn off vibration when pressing home button. That would be great. Is it true?

I don't play games, I don't use many apps. I would like a nice phone, as fast and user friendly as my iPhone 6, with good battery life. Is 1520 the way to go?

kharma45

I want to go back to Windows Phone, at least for a year before iP7 comes out. Now I'm using 6 and I would like to try a good WP Phone. 930 looks great, but that battery life is just not good enough.

So, 1520 I guess. Big, but it looks great in yellow. Few questions:

1. Does Spotify work as good as on iOS? I remember having many problems with it on 920. The music would just stop playing, etc.
2. How is facebook app?
3. Is IE is as barebones as it was at the beginning of WP8? I remember no forward button (or back?), some problems with ads and I would also love to hide that black bar at the bottom
4. Any improvements to the keyboard? Can I resize it?
5. I heard you can now turn off vibration when pressing home button. That would be great. Is it true?

I don't play games, I don't use many apps. I would like a nice phone, as fast and user friendly as my iPhone 6, with good battery life. Is 1520 the way to go?

1. No.
2. Slow.
3. Still no forward and back button. If you want to go back, swipe from the left or click the back button. Only way to go forward is to swipe in from the right.
4. WordFlow I think was new in 8.1 over 8.0. No.
5. It is yes.

If I had to get a Windows Phone now then I'd go 1520. Should be plenty of used ones around if you're not looking to spend too much, although some models do have problems with ghost touches on the screen.

hwalker84

How do you usually use your phone?

By not looking at it? Maybe they could release a braille version for you.

I guess you're having trouble reading so let me break down what I'm talking about "THE TIME IT TAKES TO HAVE A USABLE PHONE".

IPhone 6: I can reach into my pocket and operate the fingerprint scanner before the phone is even out of my pocket. MEANING: By the time my phone is out of my pocket it's already in a useable state.

I see no scenario where an iris scan will be faster.

hadareud

The Translator
I guess you're having trouble reading so let me break down what I'm talking about "THE TIME IT TAKES TO HAVE A USABLE PHONE".

IPhone 6: I can reach into my pocket and operate the fingerprint scanner before the phone is even out of my pocket. MEANING: By the time my phone is out of my pocket it's already in a useable state.

You seem to be very angry h.

Maybe you need a new phone to cheer you up.

well have to move it to a point where it can see you eye before it can scan it I'd say the finger scanner has it beat...

But you have to look at your phone eventually, so I don't see how it really matters. Unlocked phone in your hand vs. instand unlock as soon as you hold it up. Maybe it works from a wide angle as well. We just don't know it yet.

All this external fingerprint nonsense is temporary anyway, until the scanner is embedded into the touch panel. That's not to say that the iris scanner is a better solution. I don't even think it's on par, but I really want to see how it works first.

frontieruk

But you have to look at your phone eventually, so I don't see how it really matters. Unlocked phone in your hand vs. instand unlock as soon as you hold it up. Maybe it works from a wide angle as well. We just don't know it yet.

All this external fingerprint nonsense is temporary anyway, until the scanner is embedded into the touch panel. That's not to say that the iris scanner is a better solution. I don't even think it's on par, but I really want to see how it works first.

Oh don't get me wrong I'm intrigued too, but by the time you have got to a point you can see the phone you'd be ready to use vs it starting to unlock it's a mute point.

JaggedSac

You seem like the perfect customer for an Apple Watch. You don't even need to take the phone out of the pocket. Fastester than them all.

I likely would use neither, but the iris is a better biometric identifier than a fingerprint.

Paganmoon

Man, the new Sony Xperia Z5 looks like a square. It's like a copy of the 950.

----

yes, I still haven't gotten over the fact that the new WP flagships will look like budget phones...

Man, the new Sony Xperia Z5 looks like a square. It's like a copy of the 950.

----

yes, I still haven't gotten over the fact that the new WP flagships will look like budget phones...

I really like the look of the Xperia Z phones. I know some are tired of the look, but I'd really like to own one before they change the design.

And while I'm not a gold phone type of guy, the black front and back with the gold frame looks pretty good.

DWrC6WS.png

But the lack of wireless charging makes it kind of a no buy for me.

derFeef

W10 preview: I have contacts in my "Microsoft Account" and my "Outlook Account"
Is this a hiccup? Or how can I unify this? Seems a bit redundant to have two Microsoft related accounts to sync contacts and calendar and so on.

PG2G

I don't see how someone could begin the fingerprint scan on a phone that's in their pocket without explicit and awkward actions to do so. There is single scan point. There is no way it's as simple as just picking the phone up

I don't see how someone could begin the fingerprint scan on a phone that's in their pocket without explicit and awkward actions to do so. There is single scan point. There is no way it's as simple as just picking the phone up

I can imagine how it works with iPhones or the Galaxy S6, since their scanner is on the bottom of the phone. If you put it upside down in your pocket and pull it out with your thumb and index finger, it would work really well. But for shit like the new Nexus phones with the scanner on the back? I don't see how that could work. Man, the scanner on the back is so stupid.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I regularly use a Huawei Ascend Mate 7 and the fingerprint reader is super easy to use. Just slide the tip of your index finger towards the back of the phone as you pull it/hold it. Since the reader itself sits depressed, putting the finger at the right spot becomes totally instinctive. It's really convenient.

PG2G

I can imagine how it works with iPhones or the Galaxy S6, since their scanner is on the bottom of the phone. If you put it upside down in your pocket and pull it out with your thumb and index finger, it would work really well. But for shit like the new Nexus phones with the scanner on the back? I don't see how that could work. Man, the scanner on the back is so stupid.

Even then, though perhaps I am used to pants that are on the thinner side and a phone that is on the larger size (1520). It definitely wouldn't be a motion that I'd do without thinking about it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Even then, though perhaps I am used to pants that are on the thinner side and a phone that is on the larger size (1520). It definitely wouldn't be a motion that I'd do without thinking about it.

I've been using a Galaxy S6 Edge and just like the Ascend Mate 7, you get used to it really fast.

As a matter of fact, I believe Microsoft's eye scanning tech may be at a disadvantage here as I can unlock my phone much faster and more intuitively by touching the fingerprint reader at the home button/back of the device than activating the device and then looking into the camera.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Why are we getting petty over the milliseconds saved by using a fingerprint in your pocket vs iris scanner? first world problems indeed.

I have an S6, it definitely doesn't work well enough to save me that kind of time. My wife disabled hers. I understand it works a lot better on iPhone (it works fine on my iPad), but I think iris scanner, if it works consistently, is going to be a great solution.

As someone who jumps around from phone to phone (and platform to platform), fingerprint scanner, Qi charging etc. are "nice to haves" but not necessary by any stretch imo. I just had to throw out two separate Qi chargers because of unreliability. Maybe I have bad luck with hardware.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Why are we getting petty over the milliseconds saved by using a fingerprint in your pocket vs iris scanner? first world problems indeed.

More like a couple of seconds, which is a lot. The iPhone does this on the fly and the S6 is fairly fast, too (I'm not sure why you are having problems, but it's so much better than the S5).

I've actually tried Fujitsu's iris-scanning tech (I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft is using their tech) and while neat (very neat) and it takes some time to use. Also, you cannot unlock the phone if you are not looking at it, which is a fairly big negative against fingerprint readers. Most of the times I just unlock my iPad as I grab it.

I'm not sure if the market will give a shit about this, but I can tell you that I will notice it if I ever buy a WP device with an iris reader.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't see how it's a couple of seconds in pulling out your phone from pocket, and I don't know why we are pretending that looking at the freaking phone is an extra action. Like I said, this is one of the stupidest arguments we've had in this thread, and that's saying something.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I don't see how it's a couple of seconds in pulling out your phone from pocket, and I don't know why we are pretending that looking at the freaking phone is an extra action. Like I said, this is one of the stupidest arguments we've had in this thread, and that's saying something.

I unlock my Mate 7 as I pull it from the pocket. By the time I'm looking at the screen, it's already on and waiting for my input.

With Fujitsu's tech (not sure about MS's) I need to pull the device, hit the power button so the camera turns on and look at it from a proper angle, since you actually need to face the camera.

As I said, I've tried both. While proper fingerprint tech is so fast to operate it feels as if the phone is anticipating your actions, iris scanning feels about as fast as gesture unlocking. It's one of those seemingly silly things that make a world of difference in terms of usability.

Also, sunglasses.

Nikodemos

Believe it or not, I actually don't want to unlock my phone when I'm not looking at it. I'm a rather clumsy individual, I've blind-called people a few times and nearly sent my boss a bunch of pics from a hiking trip when fumbling with my phone.

That's why I don't much care for fingerprint sensors.

Nikodemos

iris scanner isn't going to be a thing until Apple adopts it.
Man, I hate that sort of bullshit. Smart watches have existed for nearly two years, but then Apple launches one and bam! every mobile dev is tripping on their own balls trying to rush out (companion) apps for the thing. Fuck that noise. Yet another reason why I hate Apple. The whole "this gen doesn't start until we say it does" attitude. To be honest, they're not solely resposible for its existence, but they do enable it a lot.

Top Bottom