• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
With Fujitsu's tech (not sure about MS's) I need to pull the device, hit the power button so the camera turns on and look at it from a proper angle, since you actually need to face the camera.

Also, sunglasses.

I hate the fact that I'm delving into the minutiae of this topic after stating how stupid it is, but couldn't you hit the power button in your pocket, so that by the time you are looking at the phone, it is scanning your iris? And again, "looking at proper angle" and "facing the camera" are not separate steps, they are required to actually use the phone.

Good point about sunglasses, and I do respect the fact that you've actually used the various techs we are discussing.

Man, I hate that sort of bullshit. Smart watches have existed for nearly two years, but then Apple launches one and bam! every mobile dev is tripping on their own balls trying to rush out (companion) apps for the thing. Fuck that noise. Yet another reason why I hate Apple. The whole "this gen doesn't start until we say it does" attitude. To be honest, they're not solely resposible for its existence, but they do enable it a lot.
I don't hate them because they know how to sell it. They created this feeling that everything they do it's revolutionary and amazing to most consumers despite being wrong.

But yeah, once Apple starts using some kind of "new" technology every single company follows.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I hate the fact that I'm delving into the minutiae of this topic after stating how stupid it is, but couldn't you hit the power button in your pocket, so that by the time you are looking at the phone, it is scanning your iris? And again, "looking at proper angle" and "facing the camera" are not separate steps, they are required to actually use the phone.

Good point about sunglasses, and I do respect the fact that you've actually used the various techs we are discussing.

You could, but the thing is that fingerprint readers turn on the phone for you. That's another, separate action when using Fujitsu's tech.

The bit about facing the camera is important in some corporate and social settings, as plenty of times you may receive an important message at a time or place when/where it may not be appropriate to hold the phone in front of everybody and face it to unlock it. Sliding it below the desk and peeking at it discreetly may be more convenient in those ocasions.

joshschw

You guys have wasted more time writing these ridiculous things than the delay the iris tech might have using the phone for years ;)

sunglasses... How about winter gloves? :eek:

You could, but the thing is that fingerprint readers turn on the phone for you. That's another, separate action when using Fujitsu's tech.

The bit about facing the camera is important in some corporate and social settings, as plenty of times you may receive an important message at a time or place when/where it may not be appropriate to hold the phone in front of everybody and face it to unlock it. Sliding it below the desk and peeking at it discreetly may be more convenient in those ocasions.

You can always use a regular unlock in that case, no?

Of course an optional pin will be implemented. No way iris scanner will work in every condition.

Would be cool if they implemented a hands free option too with voice recognition and speech pin.

NeOak

I bet the Lumias will be much more durable then new Z5. That's gotta count for something??
The 920 will still be more durable than the new midrange looking phones.

We aren't getting new high end phones anymore. Just "affordable flagships" with the 950 and 950 XL.

My Unicorn AT&T 32GB 1520 will be my last WP. No need to "downgrade" to on screen buttons and a scorching 810.

I like how the BB Venice looks in the leaked pictures: Durable.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The 920 will still be more durable than the new midrange looking phones.
I like how the BB Venice looks in the leaked pictures: Durable.

Really.

id141196.jpg

Coming from a 920 I'm not averse to thick phones. I feel weird for saying this, but the BB Venice sure is looking nice.

Paganmoon

Really.

id141196.jpg

Coming from a 920 I'm not averse to thick phones. I feel weird for saying this, but the BB Venice sure is looking nice.

hehe, there's just something about onscreen buttons, paired with a full qwerty physical keyboard that just cracks me up. Like, "funniest thing I've seen today" type of thing.

hehe, there's just something about onscreen buttons, paired with a full qwerty physical keyboard that just cracks me up. Like, "funniest thing I've seen today" type of thing.

That is some goofy shit, hahaha. Thanks for pointing this out. Still looks like a nice piece of hardware

NeOak

That is some goofy shit, hahaha. Thanks for pointing this out. Still looks like a nice piece of hardware
Laugh all you want.

The bezel around the screen is really small, unlike the 650 950 and 650 XL 950 XL.

KageMaru

We need a new build sooner than later. I don't know what happened but my Icon has been running like garbage lately. It seems like the more apps I download and the more I use the phone, the worse it preforms. Anyone else experiencing apps taking forever to load just to crash or sometimes the screen being unresponsive for a minute or more when you're trying to unlock your phone?

Zeknurn

@Daniel_Rubino: One of the downsides of having accurate sources is you don't always hear good things. Sitting on this one for now, but 'ugh'.
@Daniel_Rubino: Not sharing for the simple fact it could change and I see no benefit in going negative right now.

RIP Lumia or Xbox

Holy shit, these kind of insiders are the worst. There's a reason why "I totally know something but can't talk about it" bullshit is banned on GAF. Put up or shut up.

No wonder I unfollowed him and Windows Central on Twitter. And now that Brad Sams has left Neowin and joined Thurrott at Petri, it's time to unfollow Neowin, too. The constant tweets about shitty deals suck as well.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, these kind of insiders are the worst. There's a reason why "I totally know something but can't talk about it" bullshit is banned on GAF. Put up or shut up.

No wonder I unfollowed him and Windows Central on Twitter. And now that Brad Sams has left Neowin and joined Thurrott at Petri, it's time to unfollow Neowin, too. The constant tweets about shitty deals suck as well.

This

It's probably carrier exclusivity in the US for the 950/950 XL.

Agreed on it being shitty when tech journalists announce they know a thing they won't tell you.

We need a new build sooner than later. I don't know what happened but my Icon has been running like garbage lately. It seems like the more apps I download and the more I use the phone, the worse it preforms. Anyone else experiencing apps taking forever to load just to crash or sometimes the screen being unresponsive for a minute or more when you're trying to unlock your phone?

Yeah same for me.

I'm starting to get worried again. They supposedly launch in October and the current state is just a mess, even a November release would be worrisome...

And I definitely don't want to have the same treatment we got on the desktop... Even after a month and tons of updates my apps still crash all the time, I have terrible battery life on my sp3 and the store still often fail to install updates...

It just doesn't seem like they are no where near a stable release, and I'd prefer to them to delay rather than releasing an unfinished product again, regardless of the plan to maintain it as a service, it doesn't mean it's okay to mark a unstable and buggy version as ready for release.

joshschw

Yeah same for me.

I'm starting to get worried again. They supposedly launch in October and the current state is just a mess, even a November release would be worrisome...

And I definitely don't want to have the same treatment we got on the desktop... Even after a month and tons of updates my apps still crash all the time, I have terrible battery life on my sp3 and the store still often fail to install updates...

It just doesn't seem like they are no where near a stable release, and I'd prefer to them to delay rather than releasing an unfinished product again, regardless of the plan to maintain it as a service, it doesn't mean it's okay to mark a unstable and buggy version as ready for release.

It's going to be buggy and unstable, I can almost guarantee it. Look at how well W10 for PC's is being received and reviewed. It's the most glitch Windows release since Vista IMO, and people love it. Why would MS change that for phones/mobiles?

the photos app.................... been months now.

JaggedSac

Yeah same for me.

October is the real launch for Win10. They only pushed it forward for OEMs and back to school.

NeOak

It's going to be buggy and unstable, I can almost guarantee it. Look at how well W10 for PC's is being received and reviewed. It's the most glitch Windows release since Vista IMO, and people love it. Why would MS change that for phones/mobiles?

This is why I haven't installed W10 on my SP2. I need it to work for school, I don't have time to waste on troubleshooting instability with the software.

KageMaru

Yeah same for me.

Yup I share the same concerns. It's also concerning how long these new builds are taking to come out. Didn't they branch off a team to specifically work on the mobile build?

Win10 mobile update delayed. Only for new phones till next year.

My guess.

Wouldn't surprise me to how bad the current build is running. They really need to take mobile more serious if they want the world to take it serious.

Ape

Banned
They've reported plenty of "good" things that could hAve changed. Why not this one? It sucks when being a fanboy gets in the way of your job.

Ganondolf

After about a month of use the OS gets slower. I have not installed any new apps so I think its an issue with the OS maybe building up alot of temp files/resources or something like that. They need to fix it before launch

Ganondolf

If Microsoft has cancelled the surface phone again I will be pissed. If its a delay of windows 10 mobile launch date I dont mind as they need to get it right, they should released the new phones as planned with wp8 if that is the case.

That's exactly my concern. Launching a buggy unstable OS when they have desktop apps that are largely unaffected by the new platform is one thing, launching an OS that relies solely on said platform, and that is on the verge of irrelevancy could be the final push towards the cliff.

What concerns me, is that we still are at a point where a new build can bring new bugs. The latest mobile build killed any app that has a input field that requires a certain amount of characters for me, even bank apps. All those fields now take half of the characters they used to.

October is the real launch for Win10. They only pushed it forward for OEMs and back to school.
I can only hope, but we are a month away from the said release and still no sight of the new onedrive in newer builds, or the new skype experience (and not only that, the old skype app on the phone is completely unstable on w10 mobile), even features that they showed before like the action center being unified across devices and totally cloud based (so you could receive and act on a notification even on a device where you don't have the app installed) are still MIA with no signs of being even close to ready in a month.

And that same level of incompleteness is the same on their apps. The photos app is so bad it's a joke, the mail app still lacks features of the old 8.1 app, let alone the outlook.com web app (oh, and it doesn't even support actionable notifications yet)... Of course, it could all improve come release, but honestly i'm very skeptical, it was the same on the desktop launch and they failed to give the polish and finish it should.

I get that we are seeing stuff way earlier than before, but that's exactly the worrying part, if we are seeing early work and still feels this incomplete a month from release how are they supposed to have everything ready? On previews betas they had almost everything in place almost an year before release...

At this pace I'm starting to think that only until the allegedly Redstone update next year that windows 10 will actually be ready.

Yup I share the same concerns. It's also concerning how long these new builds are taking to come out. Didn't they branch off a team to specifically work on the mobile build?

They justified the wait because mobile can't be patched, so any bug has to be corrected by an entire new build. Which again, only adds to concern. How are they not in a state where each new build mostly improves stuff if they are really just a month away from launch?

Top Bottom