• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Ape

Banned
Really.

id141196.jpg

Coming from a 920 I'm not averse to thick phones. I feel weird for saying this, but the BB Venice sure is looking nice.

Paging NeOak

That was my WP7 phone.

I had one too, it was great for about a year until it started constantly overheating, and the plastic on the sides that was made to look like metal started to rub off.

But boy when it was pristine I never got so many compliments on a phone. I also had the HTC HD7 and the lumia 900...I REALLY liked Windows Phone.

Remember when other companies like Samsung and HTC made Windows Phones? That didn't last long.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't mind him, generally. It's actually quite nice to have a positive voice on MS and I suspect that's the reason he has had some very decent information lately compared to some others.

That said, that Tweet was ridiculous. Shut the fuck up or provide the story.

Also, their flogging of shitty accessories is really annoying as well, like Brot already mentioned.

I don't want to say it, well, I really don't want to say it, but Thurrott is actually by far the best MS journalist on the internets.

Tablo

damn u guys rly have to hate on Rubino? He's one of the best journalists in this context IMO
Smart guy, makes more sense than most when talking and writing.

BREAKING NEWS: Instagram for Windows Phone has been updated!

Damn, you guys really have to hate on Rubino? He's one of the best journalists in this context IMO

Is he even a journalist? I thought he was a blogger.

Zeknurn

damn u guys rly have to hate on Rubino? He's one of the best journalists in this context IMO

People itt are just bitter. It's unfortunately a trait that a lot of Windows Phone users have.

I don't follow him, and I'm not even sure if it's him who writes those pieces, but there's one thing that I absolutely hate about Windows Central is how they always make stories like: Oh this thing just got updated, and that new feature just arrived! When anyone who was actually using whatever was updated could they that feature was already there before.

Granted, other sites do this from time to time as well, but it was specially jarring on their win10 preview builds coverage, it just felt that they installed a new build, glanced for 5 minutes on it and them reported changes from leaked builds when they have been sitting on these same changes for weeks.

e: "Your pocket PC"

1VOsabu.jpg

Oh Acer. I think we've come full circle now.

I don't follow him, and I'm not even sure if it's him who writes those pieces, but there's one thing that I absolutely hate about Windows Central is how they always make stories like: Oh this thing just got updated, and that new feature just arrived! When anyone who was actually using whatever was updated could they that feature was already there before.

Granted, other sites do this from time to time as well, but it was specially jarring on their win10 preview builds coverage, it just felt that they installed a new build, glanced for 5 minutes on it and them reported changes from leaked builds when they have been sitting on these same changes for weeks.

My favorite articles are "This app has just been updated!"

You click on the link.

"No change log has been provided"

Thanks for letting me know.

e: "Your pocket PC"

1VOsabu.jpg

Oh Acer. I think we've come full circle now.

My favorite articles are "This app has just been updated!"

You click on the link.

"No change log has been provided"

Thanks for letting me know.

At least we can all agree that it's not nearly as bad as WMPU?

Tom Warren is still the top Windows journalist, in my opinion. I don't like visiting The Verge though - WinRumours was the peak for Windows Phone news, and for optimisim in the platform.

At least we can all agree that it's not nearly as bad as WMPU?

Tom Warren is still the top Windows journalist, in my opinion. I don't like visiting The Verge though - WinRumours was the peak for Windows Phone news, and for optimisim in the platform.

Oh, definitely. WMPU is the bottom of the barrel and if I had any say in this, it would be banned as a source on GAF and always bitch very loudly when someone posts their crap in this thread.

But I feel like WC is getting there. Like WMPU, they have sponsored posts (for apps or shitty deals from their store), which is why I stopped following them on Twitter, and I'm not seeing anything valuable anymore from their editorial site. When was the last time they had a really good article that made good points and was well written? Rubino and his sources are the only reason why that site is worth visiting. And the fact that he thinks that he doesn't owe his audience anything, seriously pisses me off.

As for Tom Warren, I can't say much about him since he's at the Verge. He barely gets any scoops anymore and if someone else posts something worthwhile, he reposts it and adds a "we confirmed this with our sources"-line. The last big thing he brought to light was the leak of Project Astoria, which is a huge story, so he definitely still got it. But I honestly don't think of him anymore as a source for Microsoft news. I don't blame him for shutting down WinRumors to join The Verge, the money is probably pretty good and he's got a kid and wife to feed.

Milchjon

WC is simply suffering from the fact that there's nothing to write about.

Of course some of their posts are terrible by their own choosing, but their best stuff has always been news and reviews, and there's very little news and like nothing to review in the world of Windows phones.

hadareud

The Translator
if I had any say in this, it would be banned as a source on GAF

Nothing about you Brot, but I don't understand the desperation to ban news sources on this forum.

I mean, fair enough, WMPU is shit and should be disregarded, but on the gaming side the "ban this site" bollocks is almost exclusively down to a majority of people disagreeing with an opinion.

When you read through topics about free speech here and see the opinions that are expressed, it's slightly ironic to say the least.

Nothing about you Brot, but I don't understand the desperation to ban news sources on this forum.

I mean, fair enough, WMPU is shit and should be disregarded, but on the gaming side the "ban this site" bollocks is almost exclusively down to a majority of people disagreeing with an opinion.

When you read through topics about free speech here and see the opinions that are expressed, it's slightly ironic to say the least.

Spreading false information, rumors and creating nonsensical headlines lead to bans on this forum and I'm okay with that (VGChatz, Daily Mail,. This is a discussion forum and what's the point of discussing stories that simply aren't true? When people usually cry for a ban of a site, then yes, it's because they disagree with the opinion ("OMG ONLY A 7.5! BAN KOTAKU! JOKE SITE!"). But WMPU? The owner literally asked someone in an "editorial" to kill himself, because that person said that Windows Phone had no reason to exist. And this is not some silly mistake from his youth. The article is still online.

So yeah, in the case of WMPU I simply don't want to give that guy a platform to spread his bullshit on. Even if ultimately it doesn't matter, I simply see no need for this trash here.

hadareud

The Translator
It was more of a general observation/moan.

Like I said, I agree that WMPU is shite. ******** is fair enough, the Daily Mail (imo) is not. I have an immense distaste for the Daily Mail, but that doesn't mean that it should be banned.

It was more of a general observation/moan.

Like I said, I agree that WMPU is shite. ******** is fair enough, the Daily Mail (imo) is not. I have an immense distaste for the Daily Mail, but that doesn't mean that it should be banned.
DM have a great sports writer who I've tried to link a few times. Always end up being disappointed because I can't be bothered taking the extra few steps in order to share the content here. It's generally a rubbish paper, but its ban is weird.

That Acer Jade actually doesn't sound/look too bad. 5.5" screen, 808 chip, 21mp.camera, 8mp front camera.

Specs are great. But that design of the phone isn't. And when it comes to Acer phones, I'll never forget Paul Miller's great rant from IFA 2011 that I posted few times already. Anyway, I really don't think it's something you want to hold in your hands.

The new Z5 has a lot of bezel and on screen buttons.

It has a distinctive enough look (in that sense that you immediately see that it's an Xperia phone and that's great for someone like me, who likes it), a metal frame and I'm sure it's going to feel great in your hand. Not to mention that it's almost perfect, except for the lack of Qi wireless.

5.2" 1080p display, 2,900mAh battery, fingerprint reader on the side (it's the power button), Sony's best camera sensor (that doesn't mean much, if the SW sucks, of course), almost stock Android, waterproof.

I get that people are tired of the look, but like I said before, I'd really like to own one before they get rid of it.

Sony hasn't produced a really appealing phone in forever.

Sony's phones always had a "they're good, BUT..." problem. Software skin, camera overheats, glass back cracks easily.
Like I said, for me the new Z5 is almost perfect. It also comes in gray.
If it just had fucking wireless charging.

dLMN8R

As a MSFT employee both Daniel Rubino and Tom Warren are.....funny.

Tom Warren is the stereotypical cynical blogger who's completely absorbed into the egocentric Silicon Valley mindset and has little visibility or care into the world of tech outside of Apple.

Daniel Rubino is a bigger Microsoft fanboy than any Microsoft employees I know, but at least he's a lot more credible than most about sourcing stories and getting rumors correct.

joshschw

As a MSFT employee both Daniel Rubino and Tom Warren are.....funny.

Tom Warren is the stereotypical cynical blogger who's completely absorbed into the egocentric Silicon Valley mindset and has little visibility or care into the world of tech outside of Apple.

Daniel Rubino is a bigger Microsoft fanboy than any Microsoft employees I know, but at least he's a lot more credible than most about sourcing stories and getting rumors correct.

Daniel Rubino is also fairly new at this as WPcentral was a small and amateur site until fairly recently.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So my wife cracked the screen in her s6 edge and I took that as an opportunity to dump my own s6 edge on her.

Now, we've both been pretty open about what a crappy experience Samsung Android has been, so there's a decent chance she broke her phone on purpose, but in any case, she is still stuck with an s6 edge and I'm thankfully not. I'm using my 930 and am so happy to have a phone that opens the app I want without jank and delay.

I will buy a phone within a month or two, so it's going to be either the new Lumia, iPhone, or Moto x pure, I'll wait for announcements and reviews.

JaggedSac

Lol, sorry, no sarcasm, I didn't renewed my sub to check but I could swear I read that if you had a pass you should have to search on the app to add music to your collection and from the store it was always buying.

Ha, it's hard to tell in this thread. But yeah, you can only search your music in the app, if you want to get more, you have to go to the store. Or, the other option is that I am missing something, which is always possible.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Moto x pure camera isn't top tier, looks like only Microsoft, Apple, and Samsung know how to pair good phone cameras with good software.

clav

So my wife cracked the screen in her s6 edge and I took that as an opportunity to dump my own s6 edge on her.

Now, we've both been pretty open about what a crappy experience Samsung Android has been, so there's a decent chance she broke her phone on purpose, but in any case, she is still stuck with an s6 edge and I'm thankfully not. I'm using my 930 and am so happy to have a phone that opens the app I want without jank and delay.

I will buy a phone within a month or two, so it's going to be either the new Lumia, iPhone, or Moto x pure, I'll wait for announcements and reviews.

Why not a Nexus phone?

Top Bottom