• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Klocker

As few and far between as the preview phone builds have been it is really a little disconcerting

Although maybe they are doing fast and furious internal builds? Wonder if that big bug that stopped the last release from hitting the slow ring is causing issues

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If I set a reminder through Cortana on W10, shouldn't it show up in the WP version? I tried that earlier and it didn't work, I'm logged in on both, not sure what I'm missing.

If I set a reminder through Cortana on W10, shouldn't it show up in the WP version? I tried that earlier and it didn't work, I'm logged in on both, not sure what I'm missing.

Yeah I've experienced that as well. A couple scenarios work, but for the most part 8.1 Cortana and 10 Cortana are separate/don't communicate.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I had a new one happen to me today. In the middle of using text messaging, the app closes and kicks me out to the home screen, I'm like wtf. And so I try to click back in, and the whole icon was gone from my start menu lol. Restart fixed it, but that's never happened to me before.

Paganmoon

Yeah I've experienced that as well. A couple scenarios work, but for the most part 8.1 Cortana and 10 Cortana are separate/don't communicate.

Shouldn't the reminders be put in your Outlook or default calendar? those should still sync, right?

I had a new one happen to me today. In the middle of using text messaging, the app closes and kicks me out to the home screen, I'm like wtf. And so I try to click back in, and the whole icon was gone from my start menu lol. Restart fixed it, but that's never happened to me before.

Noticed that if it does an update to an app sometimes, maybe the messaging app was updated?

Info for the 2015 one?

The Nexus 5 has a 12.3 MP camera (step up from the 8 MP in the old Nexus 5), but that means absolutely nothing, if the software is trash (as it happened to be in the previous Nexus phones). The battery for the 5 is supposed to be 2,700 mAh, which isn't great, but absolutely acceptable for me (not a super heavy user).

The phone itself looks pretty bland design-wise, but there's a blue option rumored. That could save the design.

The same happened to me, on the desktop, but it was the calculator app. Upon restart the icon appeared, but I had to delete the app and install again to be able to use it though.

clav

The Nexus 5 has a 12.3 MP camera (step up from the 8 MP in the old Nexus 5), but that means absolutely nothing, if the software is trash (as it happened to be in the previous Nexus phones). The battery for the 5 is supposed to be 2,700 mAh, which isn't great, but absolutely acceptable for me (not a super heavy user).

The phone itself looks pretty bland design-wise, but there's a blue option rumored. That could save the design.

I think the battery size is fine. From a Galaxy S3 user, that's an upgrade.

DagsJT

My wife dropped her Lumia 920 and cracked the screen today, so she's after a new phone. She wants to stick with WP as she likes the OS but doesn't need the best phone as such and not interested in waiting for the October event.

What would be a good upgrade from the 920?

My wife dropped her Lumia 920 and cracked the screen today, so she's after a new phone. She wants to stick with WP as she likes the OS but doesn't need the best phone as such and not interested in waiting for the October event.

carrier free 830

Does anyone feel like 6tin ever matches you up with someone you don't remember swiping right on? Or is this a common thing?

I'm not a "swipe right on everyone" guy, btw. Some of these matches are just mind-boggling.

kharma45

Depends on what she wants to spend.

Klocker

Lumia 640

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Guys help!

My Lumia 930 won't turn on. It was just sitting on the bed and when I tried to use it, it's dead. Charger doesn't work, I tried holding the power button, then the power+volume down. Anything else I can try? This is crazy, I was pretty happy using the phone for the past two days as my daily driver, and now this.

MCD

Guys help!

My Lumia 930 won't turn on. It was just sitting on the bed and when I tried to use it, it's dead. Charger doesn't work, I tried holding the power button, then the power+volume down. Anything else I can try? This is crazy, I was pretty happy using the phone for the past two days as my daily driver, and now this.

Did you try Lumia Recovery Tool?

ty_hot

I had a Lumia 520 around 2 years ago. After that I moved to an Android phone, as I thought WP was not 'ready'. Many many many wierd bugs, things that do not work. My Android died and I was on a low budget and decided to go for the Lumia 640, as it is big (maybe too big) and has 1GB of RAM which should be enough for the W10 update. I missed the live tiles, and Sports/News apps, also missed Here Maps (perfect <3).

But come'on, 2 years have passed, the same annoying bugs still happen. Facebook is totally garbage, same for the Messenger app (wtf is this). Whatsapp doesn't suck but the WP notification system does the trick to make it another terrible experience. I get a message, *notification*, I pick up the phone, go to check the message in whatsapp (do not click in the notification itself). fine. after some time, go to check for notifications and there is the message that I already read (even if I am in the whatsapp in the conversation where the msg came from, when I check for notification it is still there). So I have to always delete manually all the notifications because there is absolutely no communication betwenn the notification system and the app (i dont know if its a WP problem or Whatsapp problem, and after 2 years i really dont care). Sometimes the notification disappear, but after few hours, there it is again. wtf.

Also, where are the good cameras? My 520 costed me a little bit more than 100euros, but the cames was decent! great shots in the light, good 720p recordings. Now, I paid around 150 for my 640 (again: 2 years after) and the camera seems to be at the same level (or worst). My mom has a Lumia 532, which is basically the 520 nowadays, and that camera is garbage, terrible even in the sunlight. Last but not least, WP is still far from Android/iOS in apps availability. I checked the store and I had the impression nothing has changed, nothing new was released in these years... but as i dont use many apps, i have all I need. (excepet that whatsapp/fb are meehhh, as I said before)

anyway, I am already back on board, not gonna trade phones soon. I like that Nokia phones feel solid, that they will not break anytime... I tried W10 tech and didn't like the performance so I came back to 8.1. Hope the final version will be smooth, and that notifications work well there (I tried w10 for just 2 days so I didnt realize how was the notificaiton working).

Broman1978

I'm very satisfied with the Lumia 640XL's camera. Took this photo this morning :)

YauAjv.jpg

Nero3000

Guys help!

Leave it plugged in for a while.

I'm very satisfied with the Lumia 640XL's camera. Took this photo this morning :)

YauAjv.jpg

Wow. That does look really good. I immediately thought how cool it would be if you had a photo without the drops. Then you could use the one with the drops as your lock screen and the identical without without the drops as the picture for your tiles.

Broman1978

Wow. That does look really good. I immediately thought how cool it would be if you had a photo without the drops. Then you could use the one with the drops as your lock screen and the identical without without the drops as the picture for your tiles.
THAT would be cool actually..
Will try to take another one outside on monday when I waiting for the bus. I´m inside a bus shelter in the photo.

Also, where are the good cameras? My 520 costed me a little bit more than 100euros, but the cames was decent! great shots in the light, good 720p recordings. Now, I paid around 150 for my 640 (again: 2 years after) and the camera seems to be at the same level (or worst). My mom has a Lumia 532, which is basically the 520 nowadays, and that camera is garbage, terrible even in the sunlight.

I know this comes off as patronising, but are you sure it wasn't just a case of rose-tinted glasse? I bought a Lumia 520 for a family member, and the camera really was quite poor. Fixed focus, no flash, if I recall correctly. I don't doubt that the 532 may be even worse (Microsoft goes really budget on their budget offerings), but the 640 is unequivocally better as a point and shoot. In every way except the lack of a hardware camera button.... Grrrr...

Compare some old photos, if you can.

kharma45

I know this comes off as patronising, but are you sure it wasn't just a case of rose-tinted glasse? I bought a Lumia 520 for a family member, and the camera really was quite poor. Fixed focus, no flash, if I recall correctly. I don't doubt that the 532 may be even worse (Microsoft goes really budget on their budget offerings), but the 640 is unequivocally better as a point and shoot. In every way except the lack of a hardware camera button.... Grrrr...

Compare some old photos, if you can.

520 camera wasn't that bad in daylight. It had the same camera as the 620 which for when it launched wasn't that bad. The 520 did have AF but you're right about no flash.

This is hilarious:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/4/9254633/toshiba-concept-tablet-ifa-2015

a small amount of rewriting history here.

Lol that's a classic Verge headline if I've ever seen one. Something only exists in relation to an Apple product that as far as we know doesn't exist. Verge

I can't wait for Apple to unveil the first tablet for professionals and the enterprise.

e: Also, great example of URL vs headline. I think they explained it on their podcast. The article URL is basically what the writer thinks and the actual headline is what brings more clicks.

Watevaman

Hey guys, I got a free selfie-stick in a promotion thing and it looks like it somehow works through the aux port on iPhones and Android phones, but does anyone know if there's a way to get it to work with my Lumia Icon? I'm not planning on using it for selfies but it'd be useful to have an extension arm for the rear-facing camera if possible.

This is hilarious:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/4/9254633/toshiba-concept-tablet-ifa-2015

a small amount of rewriting history here.

It doesn't surprise me at all. The Verge loves its Apple-pandering articles.

Hey guys, I got a free selfie-stick in a promotion thing and it looks like it somehow works through the aux port on iPhones and Android phones, but does anyone know if there's a way to get it to work with my Lumia Icon? I'm not planning on using it for selfies but it'd be useful to have an extension arm for the rear-facing camera if possible.

Selfie sticks only work on Windows 10 mobile if I'm not mistaken.

Verge article about a Toshiba product.

Number of times Apple is mentioned - 10
Number of times Toshiba is mentioned - 7 (8 if you include the title)

quite possibly the saddest thing I've seen. That page looks like a product feature on a new prototype by Toshiba. Once you read the words, you realize the discrepancy between the large number of pictures and the 'slant' of the article

Paganmoon

Woho, we're getting Sphero BB-8 app (eventually). Hopefully sometime next week, since I've just ordered one, and just noticed the Iphone app requires iOS 8, and my work phone is an Iphone 4 so can't run ios 8.

Like I said, Tom is writing what the people want to read on Verge.com. They have the most clicks and views by far during Apple day. It's like a holiday for them. Chrismas came early, if you like. And like how Apple owns the news cycle for that days (if not the week), it makes sense for them to start the cycle a bit early.

yOzPo5L.png

Top Bottom