• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Ape

Banned
Have you not seen the last keynote? Apple found a way to run two apps side by side. That's pretty huge.

Unprecedented even.

So if they do get into the corporate space with The iPad pro, will they then extend os updates to devices older than a couple years? My experience with IT is that we get devices until they stop working, so some older hardware is out there.

Nikodemos

This hasn't worked, is it possible that my lumia just randomly died? It was next to me in the bed and never responded when I tried to turn it on.
Have you tried a hard reset? On many phones that's volume up + power button, held until the phone does something. It's how I restart my Xperia M2 when WoT Blitz occasionally locks up the phone.

maeh2k

Lumia Storyteller, Lumia Beamer, Photobeamer, Lumia Refocus, Lumia Panorama and Video Uploader will be killed on October 30

I use Storyteller quite a bit. It's a really good app. Don't much care for the others. None of the WP panorama apps are particularly competent, so that's not a huge loss, either.

Looks like Cinemagraph ist still standing.

JaggedSac

Are they being replaced by say built in functionality in windows camera, or just killed without anything to replace?

Only one I think they should bother with is panorama. Mind boggling that they haven't made that a feature of the default app. I don't think the other apps are useful at all.

I also think it is strange that these apps going by the wayside made Warren say that now there is nothing left on WP to stay for, and Thurrott found them quite important as well.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I've heard the Lumias are more susceptible to be affected by night farts than other phones.

This is now beyond just a night fart.

Have you tried a hard reset? On many phones that's volume up + power button, held until the phone does something. It's how I restart my Xperia M2 when WoT Blitz occasionally locks up the phone.

I believe it's down+power on Lumia, but that hasn't worked.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Or you could take those 749 dollars and buy Enron stocks.

I definitely don't want to spend that kind of money again this year. That's what I spent on the s6 edge and I regret it. But that's OK, giga is going to hook me up with his Apple employee discount.

kharma45

I'm looking forward to getting a 6S Plus. I hope work doesn't take too long getting them available for staff. I think the 6 was around a month before we could get our hands on one but since it's all expensed I can't complain too much.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I left the 930 plugged in overnight. Still dead. I installed the Nokia recovery tool, it couldn't read the phone, then said that the phone could not be recovered.

What are my options now? Again, this is something that happened randomly, it just never came back on.

So ever since the last update came out my phone cant run windows 10 mobile. Every time I try to install it it gets to the spinning gears and the white bar at the bottom never fills up. after a while it resets and I get a weird emoticon that kind of looks like a sad face. I then have to connect it to the computer and restore it to windows 8 mobile. I really wish I knew how to fix this, I am so worried that my phone is going to be stuck on 8 forever now. Man I am having no luck with MS products lately, my computer is totally fucked now that I put Windows 10 on it and MS/Dell/Alienware wont do anything to fix it even though it is a known issue for years.

The new build still sucks. Phone starts off pretty good but after a weeks worth of use, the shit runs slower and Edge now crashes all the time.

If the final build still has issues i might as well go Android.

Doffen

The new build still sucks. Phone starts off pretty good but after a weeks worth of use, the shit runs slower and Edge now crashes all the time.

Never had Edge crash on me. But there's some really annoying bugs.

hwalker84

How bad these build's are from a performance & stability stand point I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried. I'm worried we're even getting these phones this year.

derFeef

I still don't understand the separation for "Microsoft Account" and "Outlook" for calendar and contacts. Like which is wich and where is the data pulled from.

Only one I think they should bother with is panorama. Mind boggling that they haven't made that a feature of the default app. I don't think the other apps are useful at all.

I also think it is strange that these apps going by the wayside made Warren say that now there is nothing left on WP to stay for, and Thurrott found them quite important as well.
TBH I never used them more than a couple times, but mostly because they were in separate apps, I think it would be far more useful having them all on a single camera app.

I hope they don't kill live images next.

New messaging skype app available.

http://m.windowscentral.com/messaging-skype-beta-windows-10-mobile-leaks

Plus it looks like a new build is expected this week.

The messaging app works, but the video is crashing for me on startup. Also, it didn't integrate with the people and call apps, so I can directly make a Skype call from them. It seems to be working for some people though...

Ade

So, my phone has decided (WP10) that it doesnt want to update/install any apps anymore.

Factory reset hasn't changed this at all, so Im guessing now I dont have the insider hub on it, its not going to get newer builds?

If so, I assume my only plan is to flash it back to 8.1?

hadareud

The Translator
The phone won't boot, how do I get an IMEI number to initiate a repair?

Should be found in the SIM tray.

edit: or what josh said

edit:

qL35Mnm.jpg

Paganmoon

I did, yes. I tried all the button combinations.

the image was very helpful, thanks. I have the IMEI now, but the support page says my phone number is invalid. :/

I guess it's looking for a UK number?

Where are you located? Try changing to the support page of your country. Or try going back to where you bought the phone?

You can't go out in the world naked:

1jufsgb.png

Oh my god, the horror! why would you do such a thing?!

//

Well damn, double post, am I going to hell now?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Where are you located? Try changing to the support page of your country. Or try going back to where you bought the phone?

I bought it on eBay, the support site cannot be changed to the US because I guess that phone was never sold here. I'll keep looking.

Nero3000

YEah really need a new build now. This build has turn to shit...constantly freezes, requires hard restarting and loses the time often.

hadareud

The Translator
My morning musings:

- The Twitter app for W10 is actually coming along nicely, after the really rough initial version. Time to make it available on phones, too.

- Regarding the current state of Windows 10 Mobile, the progress they've made between the end of June and early August wasn't brilliant (even thought it does run a lot better now and it hasn't deteriorated since I installed it, which is a big improvement).

If there is a build this week as rumoured, you would hope that it's not only leaps and bounds ahead of the August build, but that it feels almost finished.

I've given up hope for significant new features between now and launch, so I'd just take a snappy, polished build at this stage.

Having said that, when you consider that they won't actually release the thing for current phones until the new year (in all probability), it's not necessarily easily possible to judge how it's running on new hardware just based on what we've seen so far.

We'll see, I guess.

Nero3000

My morning musings:

- The Twitter app for W10 is actually coming along nicely, after the really rough initial version. Time to make it available on phones, too.

- Regarding the current state of Windows 10 Mobile, the progress they've made between the end of June and early August wasn't brilliant (even thought it does run a lot better now and it hasn't deteriorated since I installed it, which is a big improvement).

If there is a build this week as rumoured, you would hope that it's not only leaps and bounds ahead of the August build, but that it feels almost finished.

I've given up hope for significant new features between now and launch, so I'd just take a snappy, polished build at this stage.

Having said that, when you consider that they won't actually release the thing for current phones until the new year (in all probability), it's not necessarily easily possible to judge how it's running on new hardware just based on what we've seen so far.

We'll see, I guess.

Who's saying that?

hadareud

The Translator
I don't know that anyone has said it. Though there has been whispers about it iirc.

But past experience would suggest that even if W10 Mobile is RTM sometime in October and they start finishing it phone by phone including new firmware a few weeks after that - you just know that with carrier testing etc. it will be January at the earliest before it's available for an OTA update. And then it will be for the initial list of phones that we've seen a while back (the 30's and 40's, essentially) and will be done over a period of months.

Obviously there's the insider route (slow ring), but the offiicial update route will be as messy as ever. At least I would strongly suspect that's the case.

Top Bottom