• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The Surface 3, which is the one competing with iPads (to a degree) isn't bulky at all and doesn't require a power brick either.

Even the SP3 isn't bulky. The only thing that's a bit annoying when travelling is the power brick and even that is fairly small.

By the way, if they can get their work done on an iPad, how menial is that job (no offense!).

You are right, but the iPad is still lighter and more comfortable to hold, not to mention an extremely capable tablet, whereas Surface is still utter garbage as a tablet due to the general awfulness of the Windows Store and Metro. I ADORE the Surface 3, but I own and iPad and I wouldn't replace it in a million years for anything else than another iPad or a *good* Android tablet.

From browsing to playing games, the iPad is vastly superior to the Surface if your work reduces to typing a 350 words article and sending it to your editor.

I'm getting tired of W8.1 on my phone but I don't want to install previews. Especially because Xbox Music is the worst music player I ever used, holy shit this is horrible.

2 months with a Windows Phone and I'm already tired of it. Windows 10 needs to come soon :/

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
You are right, but the iPad is still lighter and more comfortable to hold, not to mention an extremely capable tablet, whereas Surface is still utter garbage as a tablet due to the general awfulness of the Windows Store and Metro. I ADORE the Surface 3, but I own and iPad and I wouldn't replace it in a million years for anything else than another iPad or a *good* Android tablet.

From browsing to playing games, the iPad is vastly superior to the Surface if your work reduces to typing a 350 words article and sending it to your editor.

funny, I had a MacBook pro retina and a retina air and my surface pro 2 replaced both. I saw no need to have the ipad after I got the surface. Different strokes.

I know nothing about this alleged ipad pro, but i'm sure some people will use it. But its not going to take over enterprise IT. 1 from the sheer fact that enterprise IT is slow. 2. I've been hearing BYOD for years, yet no one ever does it. Because its expensive, you need expensive virtualization tools to run apps that you don't want installed on users hardware.

Plus when you add in different hardware you're adding all these extra stuff that your IT has to now support. It just doesn't work in the long run.

So security is the main reason? Stylus would only be useful in productivity scenarios if they have a beefy enough chipset to run artist tools and there is no way it is running something like CAD. For note taking isn't the iPad already pretty good at that?

To be honest, I think they are going to announce it is running on an x86 chip and can run OSX software. That would make it useful.

No, the main reason would be software and a platform with less limits. For instance Cad, well, there might be no real CAD for ios, but there's already an touch enabled version. With the right tools and platform features Autodesk could add more editing features on it. Imagine if apple add adds mouse and keyboard support as well as a continuum like flag where the developer can tell what's plugged and what's not to adjust the interface.

They don't even need to go to the trouble of creating an platform that takes care of that for developers, like Ms did, just giving mouse/keyboard support and a API flag to check if they are plugged in would already put them way ahead on the software side. That's the power of the developer community apple have, with the minimal effort they will improve their apps where they can, while Ms has to go to lengths of paying developers to make a half assed windows version and them abandon.

JaggedSac

Only way that would be possible is if they have a much more powerful ARM chip in there and more RAM. Does that stuff even run well on a SP3 that has big boy parts in it? My father in law is an architect and he has to use a pretty beefy mac desktop to do work with archicad or whatever their version is.

giga

CAD? Lol. That stuff isn't what this supposed device will be about. It's more about convincing people who bought an ultrabook instead of an iPad because they can't work with a small 10" display and no keyboard/mouse input.

JaggedSac

CAD? Lol. That stuff isn't what this supposed device will be about. It's more about convincing people who bought an ultrabook instead of an iPad because they can't work with a small 10" display and no keyboard/mouse input.

This makes sense, but doesn't Apple already have a product for that?

frontieruk

I am in management (*clears throat*).

An iPad in its current form would be completely unsuited to what I do. When I'm in the office I need a minimum of two screens and I work on 5 to 10 office documents at the same time and have a couple of browsers with tens of tabs.

When I'm on the road I use my SP3 (which I could use in the office as well btw), which can cope with all of this. And I can connect it to any projector to do presentations etc.

An iOS or Android tablet can't do that and unless they are announcing a OSX/iOS hybrid OS tonight, an iPad pro won't be able to either.

Btw, I don't think that I have the most demanding job in the world by the way, so I struggle to see how anyone else could do his job with a device like that.

Oh com'on did I really need to add a /s to a tongue in cheek remark like that, you can't be that old that you can't remember joking the higher up you go the less you do?

Interesting, I did not think that would be the end goal.
It's probably the most active platform of software development around, so it makes sense.

Excited to see Apple invent the keyboard for a tablet today though, and for The Verge to declare all other tech companies are out of business immediately!

hadareud

The Translator
Oh com'on did I really need to add a /s to a tongue in cheek remark like that, you can't be that old that you can't remember joking the higher up you go the less you do?

I know you were joking.

What I'm saying is that it's even unsuited to those that don't do any work themselves.

giga

It's probably the most active platform of software development around, so it makes sense.

Excited to see Apple invent the keyboard for a tablet today though, and for The Verge to declare all other tech companies are out of business immediately!
Sinofsky will have some fun on twitter.

Only way that would be possible is if they have a much more powerful ARM chip in there and more RAM. Does that stuff even run well on a SP3 that has big boy parts in it? My father in law is an architect and he has to use a pretty beefy mac desktop to do work with archicad or whatever their version is.

Never used Archicad, but auto cad runs very well, even 3d projects. As does some 3d modeling programs. But I've only seem the surface handling small to mid sized projects, not sure how it would handle a big building for instance.

And an iPad pro matching the surface pro dimensions might very well get really close the the performance if apple is willing to sacrifice battery life for that.

Not that i want to suggest that you are having an argument with yourself, but I didn't use the words impressive or good.

The revenue numbers suggest that they are shifting a decent number, that's all I said.

I know it looks like that sometimes, but I'm really not trying to argue with myself here.

He said that tech blogs don't write about the success that the Surface Pro 3 is and I said that I wanted to see the evidence, because to me "omg revenue!" isn't. That's all, really.

I think he already had some fun during the iOS 9 keynote, when Apple invented split view for apps and gestures from the side. I'm sure he was fuming.

LOL, Apple JUST showed AutoCAD running on iPad pro

320k wireframe objects running in 60fps

Edit, the keyboard is really dumb though.

Edit 2, There's the pen.

And there will have it.

hadareud

The Translator
It's literally a bigger, faster iPad.

With an optional touchpad. That they pretend is something revolutionary.

Oh, and an optional stylus. That they pretend is revolutionary.

What exactly makes this "pro"?

Sorry, but this is really poor.

It's literally a bigger, faster iPad.

With an optional touchpad. That they pretend is something revolutionary.

Oh, and an optional stylus. That they pretend is revolutionary.

What exactly makes this "pro"?

Sorry, but this is really poor.

The tilt tech is new I guess, something that's missing from rhea surface pen at least.

But even if it's not revolutionary, now iPad matches the bullet points of the surface pro, but with a far more ample developer support.

The new iPad is already ahead of surface pro in terms of app support, like using the pen to annotate email.

And now Ms themselves are showing office on iPad pro, with pen features not yet available on the win10 apps, which had pen available APIs from day 1.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
LOL, Apple JUST showed AutoCAD running on iPad pro

320k wireframe objects running in 60fps

Edit, the keyboard is really dumb though.

Edit 2, There's the pen.

And there will have it.

If I were more of a masochist I would look through old threads and find apple fans saying the stylus was not necessary and that apple would never do it.

Doffen

And now Ms themselves are showing office on iPad pro, with pen features not yet available on the win10 apps, which had pen available APIs from day 1.

Microsoft shilling new features on iPad which used to be a USP for Surface is just amazing. It's like they don't want their own hardware to succeed.

But that's probably Nadella's goal with their "services first" vision.

Microsoft shilling new features on iPad which used to be a USP for Surface is just amazing. It's like they don't want their own hardware to succeed.

But that's probably Nadella's goal with their "services first" vision.

Well, to be fair none of these features made any difference in the past, so in that sense jump on the ios wagon is a better bet than don't and end up losing market share.

But it's exactly how I said it, apple just announced a pen and already got more app support than Ms that has a pen for years. At this point, it's pretty clear how soon enough ios will be a very powerful force on the enterprise.

And now apple announced a new apple TV, which will bring an app store to the TV before Ms finishes the unified store on Xbox.

Again, Ms' own fault for taking so them long for doing anything. They have been talking about a unified store since before the xbone launch and just got beaten to the punch.

And now apple announced a new apple TV, which will bring an app store to the TV before Ms finishes the unified store on Xbox.

Again, Ms' own fault for taking so them long for doing anything. They have been talking about a unified store since before the xbone launch and just got beaten to the punch.

An app store on the TV? Apps on TVs?

Apple has invented the smart TV.

Doffen

FTFlXYe.png

JaggedSac

No one will care about apps on a tv. The important things, like universal search and streaming services are already available on MS' hardware. As is voice control. Plus, it plays things other than phone games.

But yeah, the pro had nothing special announced for it. Guess a full featured AutoCAD is nice. Wonder if x86 AutoCAD has pen support.

No one will care about apps on a tv. The important things, like universal search and streaming services are already available on MS' hardware. As is voice control. Plus, it plays things other than phone games.

But yeah, the pro had nothing special announced for it. Guess a full featured AutoCAD is nice. Wonder if x86 AutoCAD has pen support.

Not really sure what you'd use it for, tbpf. Pen support doesn't trike me as particularly useful in parametric modeling. Maybe for annotating drawings? But you can do that just fine by exporting as a PDF.

hadareud

The Translator
At least Microsoft has the decency to include the pen with the Pro.

What a beautiful keyboard , though. And only 170 dollars, too.

And the pen lasts hours before you have to charge it.

Apple will literally take over the world and their developers will cradle your balls while churning out productivity app after app.

Top Bottom