• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

dLMN8R

Hey man

You work there

Tell that to Gabe or something.

You'd be mistaken if you don't think the same things I've said have been echoed repeatedly by hundreds of employees for years to the those in the highest ranks. It's one of the main reasons why I'm so happy many of them are getting killed off in favor of building the functionality into the Windows 10 Camera app. Not all of them yet, but moving in the right direction.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
a wmpu article sponsored by brot:

http://wmpoweruser.com/ive-given-microsofts-groove-music/

I really don't know what's wrong with the mobile team. My hair gone all white waiting for mango-like hype.

What really blows my mind is, how can. Biggest software comoany in the world cant make one fucking music app that is good and reliable and does not need 3 fucking branding change in last 3 fucking year. What the fuck microsoft.

Satya needs to beat the shit out of the management people who are behind these core apps. I am not kidding. This is unbelievably unaccepted. And they are still getting away with it.

Getting an iPhone 6s+ 64GB. It's a sign that it comes out on my birthday. If Microsoft wows me in October then I'll sell it and come on back.

:(

You'd be mistaken if you don't think the same things I've said have been echoed repeatedly by hundreds of employees for years to the those in the highest ranks. It's one of the main reasons why I'm so happy many of them are getting killed off in favor of building the functionality into the Windows 10 Camera app. Not all of them yet, but moving in the right direction.

JaggedSac

What really blows my mind is, how can. Biggest software comoany in the world cant make one fucking music app that is good and reliable and does not need 3 fucking branding change in last 3 fucking year. What the fuck microsoft.

Satya needs to beat the shit out of the management people who are behind these core apps. I am not kidding. This is unbelievably unaccepted. And they are still getting away with it.

We need to light up the Allard beacon.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
All
On iPhone it's all 100% integrated and braindead easy to use. Slo-mo, HDR, now the living images thingy, panorama, and more.

Is sad that you don't know living images don't require lenses or special knowledge to use. On the 930, its just there and it looks cool.

Is sad that you don't know living images don't require lenses or special knowledge to use. On the 930, its just there and it looks cool.

I really wish Living Images didn't fuck up StoryTeller videos. That really ticked me off when my first day of photos in Scotland couldn't be used to make a video.

hankster

I don't know this because I have a Lumia 830 and don't / will never get Denim or Lumia Camera 5.
On my 640 they were cool. And finally they add the ability to do something with them to Creative Studio beta. Share them on Facebook or something? Please?

But the latest W10 build just wore me down. Couldn't take it no more.

So I pull out the old 830. Damn that's a much nicer phone. Dat camera button. Didn't know how much I missed you. And at&t has to have pushed out Denim by now.

What? Duck those ducking tuckers. Duck you autocorrect. !@#$%^

Paganmoon

Windows Phone is not good for my mental health... Ups and downs (more downs than ups). Lara Croft Go gets day and date release with other platforms, things seem a bit brighter. Then no Sphero BB-8 app yet, no Star Wars Uprising, or even a mention of it... God damn it Disney! :(

Windows Phone is not good for my mental health... Ups and downs (more downs than ups). Lara Croft Go gets day and date release with other platforms, things seem a bit brighter. Then no Sphero BB-8 app yet, no Star Wars Uprising, or even a mention of it... God damn it Disney! :(

No Pokemon Go either.

I'm off to London tomorrow, any useful apps for getting around?

I just selected a destination leaving from the hotel in the maps app and it seemed to do a pretty good job of providing public transport times and that but wondering if it's worth relying on or is there something better out there?

kharma45

José Mourinho;178211720 said:

I just selected a destination leaving from the hotel in the maps app and it seemed to do a pretty good job of providing public transport times and that but wondering if it's worth relying on or is there something better out there?

Tube map is good if you're using the Underground https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/tube-map/9wzdncrfj4s5

I use it quite a lot when I'm over. Never really used the buses though so not sure what's good for it. HERE Transit I think can give times for it and routes.

Nero3000

José Mourinho;178211720 said:

Here Transit

hadareud

The Translator
By the way, since we were speaking about how bulky and heavy the Surface line was compared to iPads yesterday, the iPad Pro is 713 gramms vs. the 800 gramms of the SP3 and the 620 of the S3.

Hardly an earth shattering difference and you would expect that the SP4 will be a bit lighter than the 3.

I'm still not sure how exactly the iPad can be seriously used professionally. Surely nobody thinks that it can replace a laptop?

Nero3000

By the way, since we were speaking about how bulky and heavy the Surface line was compared to iPads yesterday, the iPad Pro is 713 gramms vs. the 800 gramms of the SP3 and the 620 of the S3.

Hardly an earth shattering difference and you would expect that the SP4 will be a bit lighter than the 3.

I'm still not sure how exactly the iPad can be seriously used professionally. Surely nobody thinks that it can replace a laptop?

I don't think the SP4 will be much lighter (not that the difference is anything meaningful). Has to use the same docks, large battery (if its still using i3/5/7 processors), fan etc.

I also don't think anyone is saying it can replace your laptop, mostly because apple has not marketed it that way (in contrast to MS).

What's hilarious is in the iPAd Pro thread, people are discounting the Surface Pro as competition because the stylus doesn't have pressure sensitivity.

What would be interesting is the performance comparison...i thought the i5/7s were well ahead of ARM processors, but apple has been doubling CPU power every year vs 10% for intel.

EDIT: Looking at anandtech benchmarks, if the iPad Pro is 4 times quicker than the Air 1 (2 generations) then it looks like the performance is a notch below the Pro 3 and in-line with Pro 1 performance. The Pro 4 is rumoured to get a 2 generation bump in cpu though.

Now? No way, but it's getting there, unfortunately there was no mouse support, but having keyboard support and shortcuts on apps already start making them more productive.

Weight wise, they are pretty close, but the iPad has a bigger display, and battery life, so you can see where the bulk is coming from, but i'd guess the sp3 still edges it in performance.

hadareud

The Translator
It can still be a bit lighter, though. Probably not by much, I agree.

The Surface Pen is obviously pressure sensitive, not sure what they are talking about.

Now? No way, but it's getting there, unfortunately there was no mouse support, but having keyboard support and shortcuts on apps already start making them more productive.

Weight wise, they are pretty close, but the iPad has a bigger display, and battery life, so you can see where the bulk is coming from, but i'd guess the sp3 still edges it in performance.

More productive than an iPad? Sure.

That doesn't mean it can be used for business in a meaningful way imo. No mouse, no support for multiple screens, no windowing etc. etc.

It's essentially what Windows RT was, with more apps. It can be useful in certain scenarios professionally, but it falls way short of what a OSX or Windows machine can do.

hadareud

The Translator
It looked pretty intuitive.

Then again, I question whether it's really that useful in the real world. Even though it looked like the most impressive thing of their show, I have to say.

Milchjon

It looked pretty intuitive.

Then again, I question whether it's really that useful in the real world. Even though it looked like the most impressive thing of their show, I have to say.

I think it's gonna be quite useful if done correctly. Stuff like the quick selfie access etc.

I already can't remember what kind of morse code you can enter on the ipad's home button or how many fingers you need to use to swipe where to do what. Throw in different levels of pressure and it just becomes worse

The Surface Pen is obviously pressure sensitive, not sure what they are talking about.

That doesn't mean it can be used for business in a meaningful way imo. No mouse, no support for multiple screens, no windowing etc. etc.

It's essentially what Windows RT was, with more apps. It can be useful in certain scenarios professionally, but it falls way short of what a OSX or Windows machine can do.
Honestly Windows RT was still much better than ios for productivity, but lacked the apps. I think it's a shame Ms killed it, if they ever get decent apps to the store would be such a great option.

Though, by having continuum on phones I can see why that might be useless without win32 apps.

Special C

We need to focus on the real problem with WP. Why are the emojis so terrible? Until WP steps up their emoji game they will never compete with Android or iOS.

We need to focus on the real problem with WP. Why are the emojis so terrible? Until WP steps up their emoji game they will never compete with Android or iOS.

I'm not saying Microsoft's emoji are great, but the Apple ones look really terrible sometimes.

That said, Apple has now a burrito emoji, that's worth something.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

would you expect anything less from people that don't know about a MS product?

Yea, I have a hard time seeing legitimate enterprise businesses relying on some app from the app store to do their work. Mom and pop shops? Sure, but they always use whatever works, and they typically don't have an IT person or anyone to help them so they just whatever.

Yea, I have a hard time seeing legitimate enterprise businesses relying on some app from the app store to do their work. Mom and pop shops? Sure, but they always use whatever works, and they typically don't have an IT person or anyone to help them so they just whatever.

Enterprises deploy and sideload their own apps. It's even supported by Apple.

Even if they did presented mouse support a proper file system, SD card etc it still wouldn't take the enterprise market overnight or even 1-2 years, but they are taking the right steps so in 5-10 years they can be a major player.

It's funny that they now made windows 10 way less appealing. Sure they now have many different oses, and no unified development platform that allows you to write once and run everywhere, but they don't need it, they got the support, but now: You can have windows apps everywhere lost their appeal now that you can have apple apps in the same family of devices.

As for the enterprise, I guess it's a race game, who can get to the sweet spot faster? Ms which has the features and development platform but lacks support, or for apple to develop those features.

Edit: Fixed a typo that made the entire time different XD

hadareud

The Translator
ItYou can have windows apps everywhere lost their appeal now that you can have apple apps in the same family of devices.

I'm not sure how universal apps lost their appeal in light of Apple's announcement.

The vast majority of business machines will remain Windows for the next few years no matter how successful the new iPad is. If these machines are updated to W10 at a good rate (and it seems that the adoption rate is decent), there's a massive amount of users to develop for on Windows, too.

I mean, I'm not ruling out Apple taking over the business world and Windows dying a painful death, but if that happens it's not going to happen overnight.

Top Bottom