• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
This cloth shopping app reminds of the one they showed on the Kinect reveal. Another missed opportunity from Ms...

Oh, that's right. But any of them offer a good solution for interfacing with the big TV? Or apps made specially for that?

I wouldn't know, because I'll be fucked if I use apps other than players etc on a TV.

JaggedSac

I wouldn't know, because I'll be fucked if I use apps other than players etc on a TV.

Yep. There really is no use for apps on TVs other than a scant few when everyone has a phone on them. It is why no one will care about universal apps on xbone. Maybe a smart house hub app, but that would be equally as useful on a phone. Also, who is going to play these mobile games on a tv? Won't be kids because they will be playing the same ones on an iPad or iPhone.

maeh2k

That iPad pro announcement was all sorts of disappointing. Especially the price. Wow.

So like any Apple announcement ever then?

What sets Apple apart is, that companies will actually support their devices. They are virtually too big to fail. There will be more and better apps that will make use of the stylus than there'll ever be for Windows.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I don't get all the doctor hype for the ipad pro.

The urgent care clinic I go to, all the nurses carry surface pros around.
My wife and I had a son last year, and I went with her to every doctor's appointment. Its a teaching hospital so lots of students around, I saw tons of surfaces by students in the lounge and cafeteria areas. None of the practicing doctors carried anything around, the system is setup such that they login anywhere and it brings up their desktop on that machine. My child's pediatricians office is setup the same way.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So like any Apple announcement ever then?

I don't know man, the 3D touch stuff seems pretty cool. This is a great alternative to pinning parts of an app to the main screen. I always appreciated the ability to go directly to a specific part of an app, 3d touch seems to accomplish that without adding stuff to the home screen.

Lol of course Nilay would actually not understand the market appeal of a device like the Surface.
FTFlXYe.png
Haha knew that was coming

Yep. There really is no use for apps on TVs other than a scant few when everyone has a phone on them. It is why no one will care about universal apps on xbone. Maybe a smart house hub app, but that would be equally as useful on a phone. Also, who is going to play these mobile games on a tv? Won't be kids because they will be playing the same ones on an iPad or iPhone.

That's a bit of narrow mind, specially when you already give some examples of what could be possible on a app for TV.

The important thing is to have the developer support and open the gates and get tools on the hand of developers, which in turn will create compelling stuff tailored to the device it will run.

In a way it's similar to the iPen, which already has more app support than the pen on windows, or like the new 3d touch of iPhone 6s, which is already supported by big apps that didn't even a fuck about porting and supporting to windows phone.

Like I said before, apple has the support on their hands, they open the possibility, and developers will use the new tools to make their apps better, that's a luxury no one can beat right now. Heck, Google can't even get devs to support their new OS versions, and Ms can't even get support at all.

captive

catching up on my twitter. It admittedly leans heavy MS since well I am employed deploying MS products to enterprises.

If you remember such a do-it-all PC is was once called the "Toaster-Fridge," by some in the industry.

That was a term from a statement by Apple CEO Tim Cook back in 2012 when a Wall Street analyst asked him if Apple would ever do a hybrid.

He famously replied, “You can merge a toaster and a refrigerator, but that’s probably not going to be pleasing to anyone.”

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-just-admitted-microsoft-is-right-2015-9#ixzz3lGk5FkJg
http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-just-admitted-microsoft-is-right-2015-9

Twitter:
So...Apple has OS X, iOS, Watch OS and now tvOS...Microsoft has one, Windows; weird how the two have changed places.

And a few quotes from jobs talking about stylus's

JaggedSac

That's a bit of narrow mind, specially when you already give some examples of what could be possible on a app for TV.

The important thing is to have the developer support and open the gates and get tools on the hand of developers, which in turn will create compelling stuff tailored to the device it will run.

In a way it's similar to the iPen, which already has more app support than the pen on windows, or like the new 3d touch of iPhone 6s, which is already supported by big apps that didn't even a fuck about porting and supporting to windows phone.

Like I said before, apple has the support on their hands, they open the possibility, and developers will use the new tools to make their apps better, that's a luxury no one can beat right now. Heck, Google can't even get devs to support their new OS versions, and Ms can't even get support at all.

Nah man. I would be genuinely surprised if there is an app for the tv that gets major play that is not media related and would be more likely to be used there than on the phone.

Is this ironic?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
They basically added an insanely advanced right click button to iOS.

REVOLUTIONARY.

Also, nice to see Apple paying attention to lesser brands. LG was already using the display as a selfie flash over a year ago.

I was excited to see what the iPad Pro would bring to the table, but it only made me more curious about the new Surfaces.

Nah man. I would be genuinely surprised if there is an app for the tv that gets major play that is not media related and would be more likely to be used there than on the phone.

Is this ironic?

Well, even if it is media related, having non default media players could also be a big plus, though I hope to see more stuff.

Another obvious choice are sports/fitness apps but that's kinda overdone already on consoles.

Sooooo the iPad Pro is just a spec-bumped 12" iPad with a keyboard and stylus?

EDIT: Also

The iPhone 6s is coming to Canada on September 25th with pre-orders starting on September 12th. The 16GB iPhone 6s will cost $899; 64GB $1,029; and 128GB $1,159. The iPhone 6s Plus is priced at $1,029 for the 16GB model, 64GB $1,159; and 128GB $1,289.

Z4X43zS.gif

Doffen

They basically added an insanely advanced right click button to iOS.

REVOLUTIONARY.

Also, nice to see Apple paying attention to lesser brands. LG was already using the display as a selfie flash over a year ago.

I was excited to see what the iPad Pro would bring to the table, but it only made me more curious about the new Surfaces.

6snap also used the display as a selfie flash.

RIP

JaggedSac

That was made years ago

Yeah, that's been frustrating. They still haven't confirmed that Win 10 Universal apps will be open for development/publishing when it hits the Xbox in November.

I think someone said it was going through the id@xbox program.

Doesn't matter. It's not like anyone would. Xbox just can't sell at a high enough volume to compete.

How many Apple TVs have been sold?

dLMN8R

All of the Lumia photos apps, including Live Images, have been horrendously confusing and inexplicable to my wife and mom who both have Windows Phones.

It's simply unnatural and difficult to understand how Lenses work vs. launching them as full apps, it's never consistent in how to share them, the way they appear in Camera Roll and then OneDrive isn't super clear either. It makes everything fragmented and slow to switch between modes and such.

That's why those features previously existing on Lumia doesn't matter. It's why it didn't matter for the Panorama app, or Cinemagraph, or Live Images, or Storyteller, or a billion other things.

On iPhone it's all 100% integrated and braindead easy to use. Slo-mo, HDR, now the living images thingy, panorama, and more.

clav

Look forward to what both Google and Microsoft will show in the next month.

iPhone. Eh, I'll make a decision after those two presentations.

kharma45

All of the Lumia photos apps, including Live Images, have been horrendously confusing and inexplicable to my wife and mom who both have Windows Phones.

It's simply unnatural and difficult to understand how Lenses work vs. launching them as full apps, it's never consistent in how to share them, the way they appear in Camera Roll and then OneDrive isn't super clear either. It makes everything fragmented and slow to switch between modes and such.

That's why those features previously existing on Lumia doesn't matter. It's why it didn't matter for the Panorama app, or Cinemagraph, or Live Images, or Storyteller, or a billion other things.

On iPhone it's all 100% integrated and braindead easy to use. Slo-mo, HDR, now the living images thingy, panorama, and more.

Very true

MCD

Hey man

You work there

Tell that to Gabe or something.

captive

I can see the reviews already, "typing in my lap and using the ipad pro in my lab seems to be pretty unstable, flimsy, much like the surface devices we've reviewed" final score 10/10.

hwalker84

Getting an iPhone 6s+ 64GB. It's a sign that it comes out on my birthday. If Microsoft wows me in October then I'll sell it and come on back.

Top Bottom