• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hankster

950 render, not fan made apparently. Both the 950 and XL look much better in white from these leaks.

CP7saxoWwAAdUcp.jpg:large
Better... still not sold. Much like the back of my 640 XL (stolen by wife due to gigantic screen).

Dat camera button! And the non jacked up power button in the middle of the volume buttons. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

dLMN8R

I don't mind the placement of those buttons at all. It means you can easily reach all the buttons without reaching your thumb to the top of a large phone, and having all three buttons in close proximity ensures you know exactly what you're hitting without looking.

joshschw

I haven't posted anything regarding it, but it seems to me that it makes it much easier to adjust the volume on a large device blindly.... I am constantly going the wrong direction on the volume buttons on my 1520.

Nero3000

With the backs replacable i hope that they release some different colours...I kinda want Orange...mostly because i was denied with the 930. But something new might be fun.

I had forgotten about this thread!

I am super curious about the cameras in these phones. WP used to be impressive when it came to imaging. Now, Samsung, Apple, LG, Sony, Motorola have all gotten better cameras, and most top-end phones are good enough image quality-wise. Will Microsoft keep up? i.e. are they using a new sensor (not the same 930/1520 one) and will it be larger, will the OIS system be new, and will they have improved the godawful image processing in WP8.1 Denim.

I know that there's not going to be a 1020 replacement coming along, but if the camera lags in comparison to the S6, 6S/+, and the G4, that would be a real shame, and for me, would be the main reason to finally shift to Android (since Apple have become way too expensive for me).

JaggedSac

I had forgotten about this thread!

I am super curious about the cameras in these phones. WP used to be impressive when it came to imaging. Now, Samsung, Apple, LG, Sony, Motorola have all gotten better cameras, and most top-end phones are good enough image quality-wise. Will Microsoft keep up? i.e. are they using a new sensor (not the same 930/1520 one) and will it be larger, will the OIS system be new, and will they have improved the godawful image processing in WP8.1 Denim.

I know that there's not going to be a 1020 replacement coming along, but if the camera lags in comparison to the S6, 6S/+, and the G4, that would be a real shame, and for me, would be the main reason to finally shift to Android (since Apple have become way too expensive for me).

The S6 camera is merely ok. In a world where everyone mainly looks at little pictures on phones on Facebook and Instagram, camera tech has gotten good enough across the board.

The S6 camera is merely ok. In a world where everyone mainly looks at little pictures on phones on Facebook and Instagram, camera tech has gotten good enough across the board.

I'm not sure about how reliable it is, but DxOMark ranks it highest.

It's besides the point, though - mobile photography is good enough, except for the moments it goes wrong. Lumia Denim went wrong too frequently - weird colours, loss of detail, poor processing. What Microsoft has to aim for is consistency in all conditions - something that requires work on image processing more than anything else.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I know it was in jest, but Samsung's exposure/white balance is amazing. it's the lack of any detail whatsoever that lowers them. Don't know about camera speed.

What was in jest? I have the phone, it's the best camera on a phone. It has all kinds of software issues, but the camera and screen are the best in the market.

Camera speed is insane, the new sensor grabs a ton of detail, and the processing is on Apple/Nokia levels.

JaggedSac

What was in jest? I have the phone, it's the best camera on a phone. It has all kinds of software issues, but the camera and screen are the best in the market.

Camera speed is insane, the new sensor grabs a ton of detail, and the processing is on Apple/Nokia levels.

Maybe it was due to lack of knowledge of the software, but I could not find where to adjust shutter speed or ISO manually. Perhaps I was using the Samsung camera software and not Google's?

Lucius86

Banned
When you say core apps, what are you referring to? Core Android apps? Like Google's apps?

I mean big 3rd party apps. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, snapchat, banking apps, games etc. The WP/universal app versions are shit in comparison to iOS/Android if they do exist.

If there aren't any apps, there won't be any users. And if there aren't any users, there won't be any apps. Tough luck.

PC users don't seem to be adapting to the app store model. And why would they, when virtually everything they need happens in the browser.

Oh I understand the first point, that's always been the problem with WP. But with the universal store there are users already - millions. Surface Pro users (like me) are VERY interested in universal apps, because I did actually use mine as a tablet outside of work hours and notifications are sorely needed.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Maybe it was due to lack of knowledge of the software, but I could not find where to adjust shutter speed or ISO manually. Perhaps I was using the Samsung camera software and not Google's?

Yeah, you have to switch over to "pro" mode to be able to tweak that stuff. The biggest advance that Samsung made was to make the "point and shoot" results be consistently great, like Apple has always been praised for doing. That said, nobody has done what Nokia was able to do in terms of walking users through the various modes and developing actual photographer skills. The tutorial on the 1020 was fantastic and I learned a lot.

JaggedSac

Yeah, you have to switch over to "pro" mode to be able to tweak that stuff. The biggest advance that Samsung made was to make the "point and shoot" results be consistently great, like Apple has always been praised for doing. That said, nobody has done what Nokia was able to do in terms of walking users through the various modes and developing actual photographer skills. The tutorial on the 1020 was fantastic and I learned a lot.

Oh goodness. Where is the pro mode button?

clav

Nexus seems meh although tomorrow's presentation may change my mind.

2GB of RAM is just weird.

I also don't want a giant phone either as I have small hands.

Top Bottom