• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Doffen

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-central-office-tour

opBXxjS.png

Euq89kj.png
?

CjHgf5M.png
!

That's Photoshopped. Here's the real picture:

BZFFMvY.png

Melon Husk

I never replied to you 1020 post. I wouldn't get one. It's a good camera still but it's too slow to load the camera, too slow to shoot and from what I remember it got things like white balance wrong a lot. It's good if you put the effort in. Much easier to get nice photos from a 1520 or a 930 on WP, or even easier with an S6/G4/6S

That's what I've been reading. I'm hunting a portable smart camera/video recorder. That rules out 1520.

I wish these guys didn't bury the details on their different HAAC mic varieties. S6/G4/6S are no-go because their mics are hopeless when you get to higher sound pressures.

Me and my friends are actually discussing why higher MP on a phone are harmful to the image taken, sooooo...

Downscaling! Specifically, Color Rendition. Because of RGBG, color resolution is reduced vs. luminosity resolution. It's a minor detail.

hankster

Dem rumored (prob real) Nexus prices:

5X: $379
6P: $499

Only 16G on the 5X so that doesn't hold up but that's what the 950s are up against now.

This event is ruining some people's days in Redmond already I bet...

Downscaling! Specifically, Color Rendition. Because of RGBG, color resolution is reduced vs. luminosity resolution. It's a minor detail.

I'm too tired right now to read and comprehend that, to figure out if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me, but in general, as I understand it, larger pixels means higher dynamic range and less noise, two things that are particularly abyssmal on phone cameras IMO.
Downsampling, as I seem to be reading it, seems to give an edge in terms of color resolution, but IMO having fucked around with them, it's certainly not worth the loss of dynamic range.

Assuming my brain is working.

kharma45

That's what I've been reading. I'm hunting a portable smart camera/video recorder. That rules out 1520.

I wish these guys didn't bury the details on their different HAAC mic varieties. S6/G4/6S are no-go because their mics are hopeless when you get to higher sound pressures..

What's wrong with the 1520? It has an extra HAAC mic over the 1020.

I can't believe that I have to go to Microsoft or Samsung if I want build-in wireless charging in my phone. Fucking Google. I still can't believe it.

hadareud

The Translator
I can't believe that I have to go to Microsoft or Samsung if I want build-in wireless charging in my phone. Fucking Google. I still can't believe it.

Their phones are cheap, though.

I mean, a decent camera, wireless charging, Micro SD support and a bit more RAM would be nice, but you can't have everything. You have to make some compromises if you want to offer the market a top-notch reference device with 16GB storage for under 400 dollars.

Their phones are cheap, though.

I mean, a decent camera, wireless charging, Micro SD support and a bit more RAM would be nice, but you can't have everything. You have to make some compromises if you want to offer the market a top-notch reference device with 16GB storage for under 400 dollars.

The only thing I want is wireless charging and they were able to include that for less than $400 before. Twice, even. The Lumia 735 has it and costs $200 or less. It's not some impossible feat, if you really care about it.

Nero3000

The only thing I want is wireless charging and they were able to include that for less than $400 before. Twice, even. The Lumia 735 has it and costs $200 or less. It's not some impossible feat, if you really care about it.

Arnt the nexus phones all metal this year? So wireless charging is a no-go.

hadareud

The Translator

There's a new Lumia just around the corner for you, Brot.

hadareud

The Translator
I know. But I don't want Windows Phone anymore. It does nothing for me.

We walked in the cold air
Freezing breath on a window pane
Lying and waiting
A man in the dark in a picture frame
So mystic and soulful
A voice reaching out in a piercing cry
It stays with you until

The feeling has gone only you and I
It does nothing for me
This does nothing for me
Oh, Nadella

OEM

As Thurrott points out what they are showing with it so far could mostly be accomplished with long presses. But then that wouldn't sell new iPhones...

I dont think so, it opens whole new opportunity for developers to take advantage of and do cool things.

As Thurrott points out what they are showing with it so far could mostly be accomplished with long presses. But then that wouldn't sell new iPhones...

Yeah, but Paul is invested in saying things against Apple. Which is fine - but not when you're wrong. Long presses already have functions - force touch adds extra possibilities.

JaggedSac

Yeah, but Paul is invested in saying things against Apple. Which is fine - but not when you're wrong. Long presses already have functions - force touch adds extra possibilities.

It's like having a middle mouse button AND a right mouse button. They are going for the productivity play.

maeh2k

The more things the hardware can sense, the better. Besides pressure, I'd also like to see a broad adoption of hover.

However, there's a limit to adding more invisible affordances. A lot of users never really grasped right-clicking. How are they supposed to handle long presses and forceful touches? Not entirely clear how the two differ conceptually.

Force sensing capabilities are neat, but they could also have added another gesture like double-tapping to achieve basically the same result.

Isn't the problem with iOS that you already have a bunch of invisible, nearly identical commands like some amount of fingers in some directions or some random amount of pushes or holds to the front button? Then you have their standalone trackpads and almost no middle click support for many who buy into Apple, so who is this really going for?

OEM

Did google just poop all over MS event. Dat 6P is identical to L950 spec wise. Except the awesome Lumia camera of course.

You think MS will price it 400$? Or its wishful thinking?

JaggedSac

Did google just poop all over MS event. Dat 6P is identical to L950 spec wise. Except the awesome Lumia camera of course.

You think MS will price it 400$? Or its wishful thinking?

How would this be pooping on MS' event? Haven't the Nexus phones always been priced thusly? If MS cared about matching Nexus pricing, they would have made that decision before this event.

Did they announce any cases for the 6P? Because that thing certainly needs some clothing to cover up with.

MCD

been happy with 640 for a couple of months. sure the camera sux and no way a replacement for the king 1020 but as a pure smart phone, it's rock solid.

which is why this conference is the first that I don't care about. whenever these new ms devices comes out I will get excited. till then, keep me entertained wp people.

OEM

All rumours point to high end pricing.

Man that's suicide.

How would this be pooping on MS' event? Haven't the Nexus phones always been priced thusly? If MS cared about matching Nexus pricing, they would have made that decision before this event.

Did they announce any cases for the 6P? Because that thing certainly needs some clothing to cover up with.

You kidding me right? They will make the same mistake again. Price it high, its same spec device with not as vibrant ecosystem. And it will again fail miserably.

I am really hoping I am wrong and they go for that 450-500$ price point. Any thing higher than that, well....

Top Bottom