• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hwalker84

Two huge cracks now in my 1020. Constantly crashing apps. Even the default system apps like Mail and Messages. God hurry up Microsoft. I need a release date next week and to be partially blown away or it's iPhone city. As much as I love this platform and dislike iOS it's seriously come down to this. I never thought i'd leave after the Samsung Focus.

JaggedSac

You kidding me right? They will make the same mistake again. Price it high, its same spec device with not as vibrant ecosystem. And it will again fail miserably.

I am really hoping I am wrong and they go for that 450-500$ price point. Any thing higher than that, well....

Sure, but what does that have to do with Google's event?

Guys, if the 950/XL really are that overpriced compared to the competition...any reason why I should stick with WP? Universal apps have been a non-factor so far. Haven't heard anything about converting/running Android and iOS apps since the announcement, even though it was supposed to be super easy (at least for iOS apps and their example of Candy Crush).

I love WP but I can't justify spending hundreds more on a phone that is the same or inferior to other phones, especially given how many Windows apps and services are available for others.

JaggedSac

Guys, if the 950/XL really are that overpriced compared to the competition...any reason why I should stick with WP? Universal apps have been a non-factor so far. Haven't heard anything about converting/running Android and iOS apps since the announcement, even though it was supposed to be super easy (at least for iOS apps and their example of Candy Crush).

I love WP but I can't justify spending hundreds more on a phone that is the same or inferior to other phones, especially given how many Windows apps and services are available for others.

Value is determined by the individual.

You shake them and tell them to stay away.

6t1ItEn.gif

Complaining about the price of the 950/950XL is really a non issue. We all know they will be discounted within weeks of their release. Nobody wants those phones but us 12 or so people who post here.

hwalker84

Complaining about the price of the 950/950XL is really a non issue. We all know they will be discounted within weeks of their release. Nobody wants those phones but us 12 or so people who post here.

It's an issue for us hoping Microsoft gains some traction. If this phone is $650 & $750 it's suicide.

OEM

Sure, but what does that have to do with Google's event?

Everything? I dont know how specific do I have to be. Just a week before MS event Google revealed two phones. Which are identical spec wise to what Microsoft is going to announce next week. If they are higher priced than the device announced a week early then they have to justify why people would buy that instead.

Posts like this makes me sad. The more they sell the better it is for everyone. I really fucking hope its cheap and on par with Nexus price.

JaggedSac

Everything? I dont know how specific do I have to be. Just a week before MS event Google revealed two phones. Which are identical spec wise to what Microsoft is going to announce next week. If they are higher priced than the device announced a week early then they have to justify why people would buy that instead.

Here was your original post:

Did google just poop all over MS event. Dat 6P is identical to L950 spec wise. Except the awesome Lumia camera of course.

You think MS will price it 400$? Or its wishful thinking?

And my contention is that MS and everyone already know around what price the Nexus phones come in at and what spec level they usually target. No one at MS(much like the rest of the world) was surprised by those Nexus phone announcements.

Regardless of price, MS has to justify why people should buy any Windows Phone instead.

It's an issue for us hoping Microsoft gains some traction. If this phone is $650 & $750 it's suicide.
They aren't going to sell, not even at $400.

Diehards like us are going to question paying $400+ for a 950 over a Moto X Pure or the new Nexus phones.

Cortana and Edge on Android is where MS can gain some legs.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder what % people buy phones outright? My next phone is definitely gonna be on contract.

Im no fan of Apple and I'm leery of Google and Android so that's some reasons for me stick with MS.

CaptainABAB

Man that's suicide.

You kidding me right? They will make the same mistake again. Price it high, its same spec device with not as vibrant ecosystem. And it will again fail miserably.

I am really hoping I am wrong and they go for that 450-500$ price point. Any thing higher than that, well....

"Same mistake again"..? Windows Phone did not lose due to higher prices. I could list a hundred reasons but that is not one of them.

"Same mistake again"..? Windows Phone did not lose due to higher prices. I could list a hundred reasons but that is not one of them.

I don't know. That 830 stayed priced quite high for a long time. If it's still being sold, it might barely be on discount. It couldn't possibly sell as well when phones with better specs are priced below it.

There are probably a dozen WP gaffers that avoid this thread like the plague.

Why would anyone do that? Best mobile community on GAF!

Wonder what % people buy phones outright? My next phone is definitely gonna be on contract.

Im no fan of Apple and I'm leery of Google and Android so that's some reasons for me stick with MS.

Depends on the market. Aren't contracts on their way out in the US?

hadareud

The Translator
At least the affordable flagship was pretty.

If they are going for ugly phones, they might as well charge full price for them, like MS.

An editorial that could've been written by me.

Editorial: In a World of Glass and Metal, Can Microsoft Get by With Another Polycarbonate Flagship?

"With all that has been said, and after comparisons I can’t help but feel like the 950/950 XL are a disappointment (I stress that I mean this in terms of design/build and not the actual phone), as we have been conditioned to expect a certain amount of metal or glass in the most elite of phones. In my mind the Lumia 950 and 950 XL are closer to the Lumia 640 XL (seen above), than to previous flagships such as the 930, 830 or even the 920.

With so many Lumias floating around, and so much polycarbonate and plastic, it seems unfair that the flagship devices for Windows 10 Mobile, and Microsoft’s first proper flagship in well over a year is underwhelming to look at. Like anything valuable, the essence of said value is from its scarceness, and it seems that the abundance of plastic/polycarbonate Lumias with similar designs have diluted the value of the once premium polycarbonate build."

http://geekongadgets.com/2015/09/30...t-get-by-with-another-polycarbonate-flagship/

Again, plastic isn't an issue per se, but plastic for a premium price is.

hadareud

The Translator
Well, I disagree with him just as much as with you.

I don't think that plastic is an issue at all, even at a premium price. It all depends on the design imo.

I don't know what makes aluminium and glass that desirable. And if it is so desirable, why do the vast majority of people hide the material in cases that are unspeakably ugly?

If it is to protect the material because it would look shabby after a few months (as it does, in the case of aluminium) then that's hardly brilliant or an endorsement to charge premium prices for it.

Blackhead

Redarse

Editorial: In a World of Glass and Metal, Can Microsoft Get by With Another unapologetically Polycarbonate Flagship?

"With all that has been said, and after comparisons I can’t help but feel like the 950/950 XL are a disappointment (I stress that I mean this in terms of design/build and not the actual phone), as we have been conditioned to expect a certain amount of metal or glass in the most elite of phones. In my mind the Lumia 950 and 950 XL are closer to the Lumia 640 XL (seen above), than to previous flagships such as the 930, 830 or even the 920.

With so many Lumias floating around, and so much unapologetically polycarbonate and unapologetically plastic, it seems unfair that the flagship devices for Windows 10 Mobile, and Microsoft’s first proper flagship in well over a year is underwhelming to look at. Like anything valuable, the essence of said value is from its scarceness, and it seems that the abundance of unapologetically plastic/polycarbonate Lumias with similar designs have diluted the value of the once premium unapologetically polycarbonate build."

http://geekongadgets.com/2015/09/30...t-get-by-with-another-polycarbonate-flagship/

Again, unapologetically plastic isn't an issue per se, but unapologetically plastic for a premium price is.

ftfy.

don't care about plastic for a 'premium' price (plastic is way more durable anyway) what I do care about is size, thickness, weight. Nokia's plastic phones are always so big. I keep hoping for something similar to the Xperia compacts

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
My beaten down 920 still looks more premium than most current flagships.

Cheap matte plastic needs to be slain at the altar of the porcelain gods.

hwalker84

Editorial: In a World of Glass and Metal, Can Microsoft Get by With Another Polycarbonate Flagship?

With so many Lumias floating around, and so much polycarbonate and plastic, it seems unfair that the flagship devices for Windows 10 Mobile, and Microsoft’s first proper flagship in well over a year is underwhelming to look at. Like anything valuable, the essence of said value is from its scarceness, and it seems that the abundance of plastic/polycarbonate Lumias with similar designs have diluted the value of the once premium polycarbonate build."

Again, plastic isn't an issue per se, but plastic for a premium price is.

Agree 100% with this article.

Well, I disagree with him just as much as with you.

I don't think that plastic is an issue at all, even at a premium price. It all depends on the design imo.

I don't know what makes aluminium and glass that desirable. And if it is so desirable, why do the vast majority of people hide the material in cases that are unspeakably ugly?

If it is to protect the material because it would look shabby after a few months (as it does, in the case of aluminium) then that's hardly brilliant or an endorsement to charge premium prices for it.

Come on, now you're reaching. Protective cases for phones have been a thing, way way waaay before metal and glass came into play.

People use them not only to protect their phones, but to customize them and make them more personal. They're basically the successors of these here.

H371Jk4.jpg

I got a yellow 920 and a red Nexus 5 for the same reason.

My beaten down 920 still looks more premium than most current flagships.

Cheap matte plastic needs to be slain at the altar of the porcelain gods.

At least the 920 had a great design. But the 925 looked better.

But perhaps you're right. Plastic may not be as much of an issue as the bland design. The problem is that we haven't seen a good looking plastic phone in a while and the Lumia 950/XL don't help.

But Apple does glass and metal so it must be better?

That's a cheap shot. I didn't mention the iPhone at all.

I'd take the Xperia Z5 over any iPhone.

qZ3gcQF.jpg

Milchjon

Still think that design is the clearest signal that MS has given up.

Looks used to be the last remaining plus.

I mean, the 5X looks average as fuck, but I'd take that over the 950 design.
2dcA4Dn.png

kazinova

Guys, I already have to commiserate with Browns fans every week. And this thread is becoming indistinguishable from those depressing sad-sacks.

It's almost like fans of WP want it to fail now. Kind of like how so much on the identity of Browns fans is built on the misery of being a Browns fan.

I'm sure the 950/950xl will be nice, and if they aren't we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Everyone needs to take some Xanax up in here...

Milchjon

The whole world has given up on phones then.

In a way, they have all regressed, iPhone, HTC One, Nexus 5, Lumias all looked better before.

Last phones I lusted for were The 830/730.

Only Samsung looks better now, but that's more about the past than the present.

Guys, I already have to commiserate with Browns fans every week. And this thread is becoming indistinguishable from those depressing sad-sacks.

It's almost like fans of WP want it to fail now. Kind of like how so much on the identity of Browns fans is built on the misery of being a Browns fan.

I'm sure the 950/950xl will be nice, and if they aren't we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Everyone needs to take some Xanax up in here...

That hits deep, man.

Can I be the Kave_Man of WP fans?

Nero3000

Yeah come on guys, you're still getting a wqhd amoled screen, great camera with living images, pen support on the xl, wireless charging, the best mobile keyboard, dedicated camera buttons, the workflows we all love about wp and hopefully some unannounced integration with w10 desktop.

NeOak

In a way, they have all regressed, iPhone, HTC One, Nexus 5, Lumias all looked better before.

Last phones I lusted for were The 830/730.

Only Samsung looks better now, but that's more about the past than the present.
It is hilarious that I'm finding a BlackBerry Priv more visually appealing than all those at the moment?

Yeah come on guys, you're still getting a wqhd amoled screen, great camera with living images, pen support on the xl, wireless charging, the best mobile keyboard, dedicated camera buttons, the workflows we all love about wp and hopefully some unannounced integration with w10 desktop.
Wat

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Talking about shit design, I loved BlackBerry's spiel on the PRIV about how the world had forgotten about making phones as if they were tools instead of gadgets. As an old school Nokia fan, it resonated with me.

Then I noticed the PRIV's classic BB button placement.

rQd8feG.jpg

Canada pls.

hadareud

The Translator
Come on, now you're reaching. Protective cases for phones have been a thing, way way waaay before metal and glass came into play.

I don't think that's reaching. Obviously cases have been around for a long time, but it was not the same as it is now.

Take the tube and have a look at what percentage of people have their phone in a case. It's far more than half of them, in my experience.

I'm not suggesting that that means that the design of a phone is unimportant as a result, but that the materials that are allegedly "desirable" have the effect that most people don't want to use the phone without a case. So it's self defeating, imo.

For people that don't use a case - have a look at how an HTC One or a iPhone 6 look after a few months.

Talking about shit design, I loved BlackBerry's spiel on the PRIV about how the world had forgotten about making phones as if they were tools instead of gadgets. As an old school Nokia fan, it resonated with me.

Then I noticed the PRIV's classic BB button placement.

http://i.imgur.com/rQd8feG.jpg

Canada pls.

Is that a power button between the volume buttons?

I don't think that's reaching. Obviously cases have been around for a long time, but it was not the same as it is now.

Take the tube and have a look at what percentage of people have their phone in a case. It's far more than half of them, in my experience.

I'm not suggesting that that means that the design of a phone is unimportant as a result, but that the materials that are allegedly "desirable" have the effect that most people don't want to use the phone without a case. So it's self defeating, imo.

For people that don't use a case - have a look at how an HTC One or a iPhone 6 look after a few months.

I understand your point and I'm not saying that you're wrong.

The thing for me is that plastic phones are obviously cheaper to make, so I wish they'd at least pass some of the cost savings down to the buyers.

hadareud

The Translator
Sure, in an ideal world every manufacturer would pass on cost savings to consumers.

Unfortunately that's not the world we live in.

edit: I have no idea how much the casing on a phone would cost in production, but I'd be surprised if the difference between aluminium and polycarbonate is much higher than a few dollars, btw.

Top Bottom