• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Yeah come on guys, you're still getting a wqhd amoled screen, great camera with living images, pen support on the xl, wireless charging, the best mobile keyboard, dedicated camera buttons, the workflows we all love about wp and hopefully some unannounced integration with w10 desktop.

I'm in but seriously MS, don't botch the price.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The differentiator could be continuum. Assuming the software comes along, I could see a lot of value for business and pro consumers like me. I've been lugging around a laptop for the last month just to do presentations, continuum could allow me to basically walk around with a phone and dongle.

I predict that continuum is going to be the big focus of the presentation.

hwalker84

Still think that design is the clearest signal that MS has given up.

Looks used to be the last remaining plus.

I mean, the 5X looks average as fuck, but I'd take that over the 950 design.
2dcA4Dn.png

It'll be signaled as yet another stopgap phone. Similar to WP7. Hopefully the Surface team is cooking something up because this phone is one of the most uninspired designs I've seen from a major phone manufacture this year.

So much negativity... and I'm stuck with a 535 here.

I think the 950 looks nice.

I's because, with a cheap phone, you expect for there to be compromises. For Android, that's choppy menus. For Windows, it's accepting that some apps aren't available. Flagships compete against flagships, the standards are much higher. The iPhone 6S, Xperia Z5, and LG G4 are all devices with very few compromises. Windows Phone, less so.

I's because, with a cheap phone, you expect for there to be compromises. For Android, that's choppy menus. For Windows, it's accepting that some apps aren't available. Flagships compete against flagships, the standards are much higher. The iPhone 6S, Xperia Z5, and LG G4 are all devices with very few compromises. Windows Phone, less so.
I know that but couldn't you guys be a little more optimistic? :p

I know that but couldn't you guys be a little more optimistic? :p

My first Windows Phone was the LG Optimus 7 way back in 2010. I've seen this dance so many times before.

I know it's the same for a lot of people here. The sad thing is, it seems to be getting worse. Windows Phone 8 had so much genuine hype around it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Lg g4 is plastic, with a leather option. Let's be real, there are different kinds of plastic, and polycarbonate can be done right. Nokia has done it right in the past. And if we are totally honest, its also a better material for phones because its easier for the antennas and it can dissipate heat better, plus it can be more durable. Its a more practical phone material. Plastic is not the main reason to dislike these phones, the design just seems boring.

hadareud

The Translator
Regarding the Nexus bang for buck, when you look at the specs of the 5X vs the 950, I would say you're getting quite a bit more with the 950.

Plastic vs Plastic and the same processor, however:

Wireless charging vs no wireless charging
1440p vs 1080p
3GB RAM vs 2GB
A great camera vs an average camera
32GB storage vs 16GB on the cheap model
MicroSD support vs nothing
3000mAh battery vs 2700mAh battery
Removable battery vs built in battery

My first Windows Phone was the LG Optimus 7 way back in 2010. I've seen this dance so many times before.

I know it's the same for a lot of people here. The sad thing is, it seems to be getting worse. Windows Phone 8 had so much genuine hype around it.
Yeah. This is my first windows phone, despite following the platform for quite a while now (my brother was the first to have a WP) but I do agree. Hype seems to be much lower.

Lg g4 is plastic, with a leather option. Let's be real, there are different kinds of plastic, and polycarbonate can be done right. Nokia has done it right in the past. And if we are totally honest, its also a better material for phones because its easier for the antennas and it can dissipate heat better, plus it can be more durable. Its a more practical phone material. Plastic is not the main reason to dislike these phones, the design just seems boring.

I was talking more about the weak ecosystem than the design. But the design definitely doesn't help.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding the Nexus bang for buck, when you look at the specs of the 5X vs the 950, I would say you're getting quite a bit more with the 950.

1440p vs 1080p
3GB RAM vs 2GB

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
They priced the 920 at $450 and that phone was ahead of its time in many ways hardware wise. I think $400-$450 is the sweet spot for the 950. $500 with dongle and accessories.

hadareud

The Translator
They priced the 920 at $450 and that phone was ahead of its time in many ways hardware wise. I think $400-$450 is the sweet spot for the 950. $500 with dongle and accessories.

If the placeholder price (EUR 659.-) in Spain is correct, then the US price will be $500.- I'd imagine. They've upped the prices in Europe because of the $ EUR exchange rate issues, so that would make sense.

The Nexus 6P is $499 and in Europe it's EUR 649.-.

I still think the price will be 50 Euros less, though.

920 was such an amazing phone at the time. The first with wireless charging, the best camera introducing ois, the best screen, and sold for a great price.

clav

1440p vs 1080p
3GB RAM vs 2GB

Still waiting for the official reveal. I wasn't entirely blown away yesterday.

JaggedSac

So not a re-hash of the 930/1520 camera, then.

Removable battery confirmation too. So they made the wise decision to include sd cards and removable batteries since they have removable backs. Curious to see how this new camera hardware does.

That aperture is wider than the 1020s 2.2 and the 1520s 2.4. Low light performance should be pretty good.

Same aperture as the S6. Only question now is sensor size.

Speaking of pricing, I'd hope you could assume that stuff like software buttons are concessions made in order to price these phones competitively.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The 640 XL is actually one of the best deals out there in terms of bang for your buck.

Microsoft could try to pull something similar at the upper range for a change.

JaggedSac

In terms of sensor size, hopefully they exceed the 1/2.5" sensor in the 1520. Certainly won't get to the 1/1.5" in the 1020. Even if they stay the same, it exceeds the S6s 1/2.6" sensor.

1440p vs 1080p
3GB RAM vs 2GB

950 and XL will also have a wide range of official accessories like cover, dock for continuum and pen support (hopefully on both).

If they price them right this might actually be the most competitive flagship Lumia yet.

both are like 640 just bigger and better.

640 is a fantastic phone once you add a flip case and remove the cheap slippery plastic back:
Just bought an orange one of these for the 640 I won't be using. Saw the orange in the store the other day and really liked it. Should make it nicer for the few occasions I pick it up to play with new builds and such.

NeOak

José Mourinho;180365246 said:
Just bought an orange one of these for the 640 I won't be using. Saw the orange in the store the other day and really liked it. Should make it nicer for the few occasions I pick it up to play with new builds and such.
You sure like having a phone just to see that black screen after a new build is installed

Zeknurn

Google, Microsoft Resolve Global Patent Fight Over Phones, Xbox

The companies pledged in a statement to work together in other ways related to intellectual property, including development of a royalty-free, video-compression technology to speed downloads, in an initiative that also involves Amazon.com Inc. and Netflix Inc. They will also lobby for specific rules on a unified patent system throughout Europe.
“Google and Microsoft have agreed to collaborate on certain patent matters and anticipate working together in other areas in the future to benefit our customers,” the technology giants said in a joint statement.

End of an era.

kharma45

920 was such an amazing phone at the time. The first with wireless charging, the best camera introducing ois, the best screen, and sold for a great price.

Yep the 920 was a great device.

Qi charging, OIS, 60Hz screen, lovely curved glass with Clear Black, Super Sensitive Touch and later having glance and double tap to wake added.

It was truly a flagship and I doubt they'll ever make a phone as good again.

Doffen

Is that the smell of Google apps announcement on October 6th?

I really don't think Windows Phone will get the biggest spotlight during this event. And if Google announces apps they will be mainly design for Windows 10 desktop use.

Removable battery confirmation too. So they made the wise decision to include sd cards and removable batteries since they have removable backs. Curious to see how this new camera hardware does.

That aperture is wider than the 1020s 2.2 and the 1520s 2.4. Low light performance should be pretty good.

Same aperture as the S6. Only question now is sensor size.

Sensor size is same as the 930/1520 - 1/2.5"

https://twitter.com/Daniel_Rubino/status/649313677645115393

I hope they're not cheaping out and using the same sensor.

I doubt they would. It's been two years since the Icon came out.

Besides, the real crux of image quality in a smartphone these days is in the image processing, and Lumia has gotten worse over time at that, not better. We'll see if MS software engineers were able to do anything.

hwalker84

Qi charging, OIS, 60Hz screen, lovely curved glass with Clear Black, Super Sensitive Touch and later having glance and double tap to wake added.

So much innovation. Now they're just hanging out.

hankster

I don't think the patent agreement changes anything. Having Google Apps on WIndows Phone would make it much more appealing as a platform... which would cut into Android market share. If it does happen, it won't happen soon.
Silly google - what they should be doing is helping WP against the common enemy - Steve Jobs' ghost.

dLMN8R

It truly is one of the best phones ever created. And unlike most shitty Android phones and the best iPhones, it still holds up today incredibly well, nearly 3 years after it came out.

And it's gotten faster with each new software release, not slower.

But hey, it's heavy, so fuck it and slam it in reviews right?

It truly is one of the best phones ever created. And unlike most shitty Android phones and the best iPhones, it still holds up today incredibly well, nearly 3 years after it came out.

I'm still pissed it never came out on verizon

JaggedSac

No, you slam into nails when you don't have a hammer.

I used a 920 for 18 months and I dunno if I'd go that far. It was beautifully designed, but it got hot, had pretty bad battery life, and for all the hype, the camera was really hit and miss - remarkable in low light, but terrible at a lot of really basic shots.

What is a shame to me is that the unibody, glossy polycarbonate body seems to have fallen out of favour. Even if it was too thick, it was a gorgeous, quality phone.

Top Bottom