• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

920 design was why I switched to Windows Phone. Buut there were some quality control issues. Battery sucked and the proximity sensor would go crazy quickly.

I ended up giving my 920 away to a family member in January 2014. Beautiful phone, the weight really wasn't ever an issue. Battery life sometimes sucked, but other times it was brilliant, which was annoying in itself.

Finally traded that thing in for a Lumia 830 in June. Only had to pay £30 extra for an essentially new 830, too - which is more of the same itself. Great design, great camera, same screen resolution.

And the other great thing? You could hold it in one hand. Even if the 950 is amazing, as a small-handed guy, I'm just not sure I'll ever be able to use it. May have to be a Z3/5 Compact or iPhone 6/S from here on out, unless I go towards 'budget' end.

Nero3000

Wait...there are rumours of a blue colour which is exclusive?

Better not be like the 920 where the cyan was exclusive to at&t WORLDWIDE. Their least supportive carrier and country.
zWVbK.gif

920 design was why I switched to Windows Phone. Buut there were some quality control issues. Battery sucked and the proximity sensor would go crazy quickly.

I had to exchange it twice I think but that red was awesome color and it still running strong (my son is using it). I ask him if he want to get a new phone, he said no. He said the phone built like a tank and work great.

Magni

Got an email from Chase: "NEW! Introducing the Chase Freedom Mobile app"

Android/iOS only obviously. A year ago, we had one app from Chase on all three platforms. Today we have two on iOS/Android and zero on WP. Ugh, to think their app was one of the reasons I went with Chase :(

maeh2k

If I were a bank, I'd probably write my app using Xamarin. Even if a Xamarin app is not quite as good as distinct iOS/Android apps, that just doesn't matter for a bank. They aren't really competing with other apps and don't have to drive up engagement or whatever.

Edit: and if I were Microsoft, I'd finally buy Xamarin and give it away for free. If more people got to use it and play around with it without strings attached, it would do a whole lot better and it just might let Microsoft hold on to a smidgen of relevance in Mobile.

Milchjon

No joke, wouldn't hesitate with the 950 if it looked like the 550.

550 looks generic. 950 looks much worse than generic.

Edit: God, I forgot how utterly terrible the Edge logo is.

Really having fun with Lumia Camera 5 on my 830. Really amazed at the details, it comes close to my previous 1020 without the fuss. With rich capture, I'm always taking better pics than my friends' G4s and GS6s in the same environment. The picture above is a great example, great details on the sandwich without blackening the table behind.

Really having fun with Lumia Camera 5 on my 830. Really amazed at the details, it comes close to my previous 1020 without the fuss. With rich capture, I'm always taking better pics than my friends' G4s and GS6s in the same environment. The picture above is a great example, great details on the sandwich without blackening the table behind.

~~ deleted snarky post ~~

Will replace it with "my experience with the 830 vs. the 1020 and other phones has been quite different."

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Do you have the lumia camera 5 update? If not, your opinion doesn't count, although I also doubt that the 830 can beat my G4 consistently.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have taken tons of amazing pics with my 830. Probably doesn't stack well against some of the new phones but it is solid and far from terrible.

dLMN8R

I luckily got the Lumia Camera 5 update when it was on the recovery tool temporarily. I'm amazed at how much camera quality has increased, both with and without Rich Capture.

Lumia 830 pics directly from the camera, absolutely untouched. Just point and shoot (with rich capture enabled)

VcB9myc.jpg

mmyoB8e.jpg

hmzJOYz.jpg

god damnit windows 10 on my 820 has become unusable, every app takes in excess of a minute to load and 75% of the time will just crash, the screen constantly will go unresponsive and notifications are permanently stuck when they dont exist.

its the most latest update and its just un usable, wasnt this supposed to come out in october? should I just format back to WP8.1?

god damnit windows 10 on my 820 has become unusable, every app takes in excess of a minute to load and 75% of the time will just crash, the screen constantly will go unresponsive and notifications are permanently stuck when they dont exist.

its the most latest update and its just un usable, wasnt this supposed to come out in october? should I just format back to WP8.1?

did you do a factory reset? I've found success in the past doing one on W10 builds. As stupid and anti-user a solution that is, it might help you.

I have taken tons of amazing pics with my 830. Probably doesn't stack well against some of the new phones but it is solid and far from terrible.
It stacks up fine against my friends new phones but yeah, they suck at taking pics.

I do agree that LC5 can have processing issues. Really a shame though that the 1020 won't get this.

are you saying reset to W8.1 or restore to 8.1 and then update to 10 again?

Do the 'reset my phone' in the settings. It will clear all Apps, Music, Photos off of the device. You will go through the Oobe (out-of-box-experience) to setup the phone again. It will stay on the same version of W10.

Often I found it dramatically increased speed and reliability on preview builds. I haven't been doing this recently, as I've only been using WP on engineering devices and flashing nearly every day.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The metal ring actually doesn't look so bad. Triple flash on the 950 is good news.

Really hope they make other colours available.

hitgirl

Traded in my Lumia 920 for a Moto X 2014. Been like 4+ or so years on Windows Phones. I feel like Lumia has sort of run its course. They made some great phones.

Top Bottom