• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

JaggedSac

I'm going to say a Win10 set top box that runs the 360 OS using emulation that they built, can run Win10 apps, has a mic on the remote so it gets Cortana function, and it can stream from Bone. $100.

And that wasn't Thurrott, that was Brad Sam's that wrote that.

Zeknurn

I'm going to say a Win10 set top box that runs the 360 OS using emulation that they built, can run Win10 apps, has a mic on the remote so it gets Cortana function, and it can stream from Bone. $100.

And that wasn't Thurrott, that was Brad Sam's that wrote that.

You're right. It's confusing to have someone else write for thurrott.com

And I agree that Microsoft needs to release a box with Cortana and apps.

Nero3000

Curved glass, Qi charging, triple LED flash...the 950 is slowly improving. Nice! White for me unless there are other colours!

MS really need a NFC payment solution though...(w/ support for band 2!)

Curved glass, Qi charging, triple LED flash...the 950 is slowly improving. Nice! White for me unless there are other colours!

MS really need a NFC payment solution though...(w/ support for band 2!)
Windows 10 mobile has native wallet NFC support, no need for a special SIM card from the carrier like 8.1

ElNino

Still need someone to make an app that connects the cards and makes the payment...look in the NFC settings.
This is my understanding as well.

My company has a mobile payment app for our credit cards (possibly debit as well), but they only support newer Blackberry and (some) Android phones. No iPhone or Windows Phone support, and you also need to be on a supported carrier and SIM.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
How do you like the G4 so far?

It's a really nice phone. Great performance, better than S6 in app switching, much less lag and basically no jank. Screen is great, close second to s6 of devices I've used. Camera is also top tier, though again s6 is slightly better. Also has double tap to wake. I got the leather back version and it feels awesome on the hand.

Bad stuff: battery life is sub par for such a big phone. No fingerprint reader (I don't care), no qi charging (I think you can get a compatible case though). Not stock Android so who knows when I'll get marshmallow, but the skin is light and does cool things like run two apps at once, similar to Samsung. Speaker on the back.

Doffen

xQkilNl.png

Patent: US20150277929
Name: User Selectable Operatingsystems

Filed by Microsoft. Published: Oct 1.

It's regarding both smartphones and tablets.

Looking at those leaked pics, that is quite the camera hump. More so than the renders lead on.

I'm okay with the bump on the 950.

maeh2k

xQkilNl.png

They researched that, but we'll never see it in a product. Mostly because it's a dumb idea that's not going to help anyone.

Ganondolf

Hard resetting my 925 now. In the last week the insider build (latest) has become very unstable freezing and restarting on the home screen, apps no opening, freezing, crashing and running slowly (get info from the net etc).

hopefully a hard reset will make it usable again till the next build gets released.

JaggedSac

Hard resetting my 925 now. In the last week the insider build (latest) has become very unstable freezing and restarting on the home screen, apps no opening, freezing, crashing and running slowly (get info from the net etc).

hopefully a hard reset will make it usable again till the next build gets released.

Same happening to me.

Doffen

They researched that, but we'll never see it in a product. Mostly because it's a dumb idea that's not going to help anyone.

I actually see potential, but the issue is that Lumia (+ BLU and Yezz) is probably the only devices that will feature this

NeOak

xQkilNl.png

I'm okay with the bump on the 950.

I actually see potential, but the issue is that Lumia (+ BLU and Yezz) is probably the only devices that will feature this

Asus tried to use Android with Windows, remember?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Transformer_Book_Duet

KageMaru

I'm tempted to do the same but I know the performance issues would eventually come back. Hopefully MS gets these issues sorted out. If I wanted a phone that degraded in performance over time, I'd get an android phone =P

So the 950 gets the same triple led as the XL but has an uglier camera hump/housing?

Come on Lumia design team, what's going on over there? Do we need to import tap water from Finland?

KageMaru

So I resetted my W10 preview phone and now I dont have the message app anymore (sms).
Any ideas? I really need it for code confirmationa nd so on...

edit: found the app but it crashes :/
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/microsoft-messaging/9wzdncrfjbq6

It was an issue with the latest build, I thought Gabe said it was fixed though. I reset my phone twice after the last update and gave up. I've been using the skype Messenger preview app for text messages.

toff74

That crashes for me as well :/

I had a few similar app issues with the latest WP10 build on my L920.

I got everything working again by uninstalling all apps I was having problems with through the system -> storage -> phone -> applications. Then reinstalling the app through the store (download history).

Hope this helps.

Anyone else having an issue with the Netflix app? It's been rock solid for years until a few days ago. Whenever I open the app it's pauses on the loading screen. My wife's phone has been doing the same thing as well. Both phone are Ativ S Neo. Windows phone version 8.1 on both.

Anyone else having an issue with the Netflix app? It's been rock solid for years until a few days ago. Whenever I open the app it's pauses on the loading screen. My wife's phone has been doing the same thing as well. Both phone are Ativ S Neo. Windows phone version 8.1 on both.
Works fine in my 830 since getting denim. Didn't work prior to that. The app has gone through numerous updates the past few weeks too. Might wanna delete the app, hard reset your phones, then reinstall Netflix.

Top Bottom