• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Almost completely convinced that there will be no Google apps for W10, or at least no announcement tomorrow.

On the other hand, I somehow wouldn't be at all surprised that Tom Warren will use the rumour that he created himself to slag off Microsoft if it doesn't come true.

He didn't create the rumor. Start following Brad Sams already, goddamn.

Really looking forward Google apps tomorrow! Not because of the apps themselves, but on hope that it's the start of the long overdue app support.

The OS is great, the app platform is great, and win10 is being hugely adopted. Bring me the apps!

I am pessimistic about things generally, but I agree. Even WIn10 desktop was junk a month before it RTMed

While that's true that win10 on desktop improved tremendously on RTM, it was never as junk as the mobile builds, and more importantly, it didn't launched in a polished state. The mobile build will for sure improve a lot too in the nick of time, but I have my doubts if it will be everything it should be at launch, or just good enough like the desktop rtm was.

KageMaru

I can see it happening since HERE was sold and Satya started gutting the mapping team.

Wait, really? I figured they would invest more into their mapping technology since HERE was sold. They even detailed improvements to Bing maps not too long ago.

Wait, really? I figured they would invest more into their mapping technology since HERE was sold. They even detailed improvements to Bing maps not too long ago.

They decided to focus on the app, and apis for developers to leverage the maps service on their apps, but the imaging and map data will be all out sourced now.

hadareud

The Translator
Not quite.

HERE was Nokia's property and the Bing maps team was sold to Uber.

Uber Technologies Inc. is acquiring a portion of Microsoft Corp.’s Bing mapping unit, part of the mobile car-booking application’s push to broaden its in-house technology for drivers.

Uber is offering jobs to about 100 Microsoft employees who work on image acquisition and data analysis and processing as part of the mapping team for Bing,

“Over the past year, we have taken many actions to focus the company’s efforts around our core business strategy,” Microsoft said in a statement to Re/code. “In keeping with these efforts, we will no longer collect mapping imagery ourselves, and instead will continue to partner with premium content and imagery providers for underlying data while concentrating our resources on the core user experience. With this decision, we will transfer many of our imagery acquisition operations to Uber.”

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'll be stuck in a work conference during the MS event and there isn't a MS store within 30 minutes of where I'll be staying so I can check out
and quite possibly impulse buy
the new Lumia and other hardware.

Milchjon

Tom Warren ‏@tomwarren
Sounds like HoloLens will be at the Microsoft event tomorrow. I wonder if we'll get details on the retail / enterprise variants

Could be a real fun event. Don't fuck this up, MS

joshschw

While that's true that win10 on desktop improved tremendously on RTM, it was never as junk as the mobile builds, and more importantly, it didn't launched in a polished state. The mobile build will for sure improve a lot too in the nick of time, but I have my doubts if it will be everything it should be at launch, or just good enough like the desktop rtm was.

Can't say anything other than that I disagree. I feel like the latest mobile build is better than the pre-RTM builds I tried on desktop.

Doffen

Is this countdown correct?

t1444140000z1.png

Can't say anything other than that I disagree. I feel like the latest mobile build is better than the pre-RTM builds I tried on desktop.

I recon that I've plagued by many issues that others were not having here, but for me even the latest mobile build is really close to unusable.

I'm facing pretty much every issue you could name, the start menu stuck at loading, apps running very slowly, like they were running at a really low fps, everything resuming and loading and by that I mean, simply invoking the task view and going back to the opened app causes the app to resume, photos not syncing, heck most of the time the camera is even unable to save the picture, I take it, the thumbnail appears, but trying to open it crashes the app, and other apps can't open it too, but if I go to file explorer the picture is there but it's a 0 byte file, not to mention the constant crashing.

I'm not even using it on my daily driver, but I'm seriously considering reverting back to 8.1, because every time i need to use the phone it simply fails or takes a lot of time and retries to get something done.

Edit: Oh, and i already went through 3 hard resets on this build. The last one I didn't even restored the backup and start anew. But as soon as I went to install my apps the issues came back haunting me.

I literally just ate with one of the maps teammembers last night. We went to CMU together. He might made some changes to maps, but I don't think he gutted it. I don't claim to know much about the area, though. That being said, I don't think the team has anything to do with the collection of the underlying data, which one could probably argue that Satya 'gutted' the team. Seems a fair argument to be made

JaggedSac

I recon that I've plagued by many issues that others were not having here, but for me even the latest mobile build is really close to unusable.

I'm facing pretty much every issue you could name, the start menu stuck at loading, apps running very slowly, like they were running at a really low fps, everything resuming and loading and by that I mean, simply invoking the task view and going back to the opened app causes the app to resume, photos not syncing, heck most of the time the camera is even unable to save the picture, I take it, the thumbnail appears, but trying to open it crashes the app, and other apps can't open it too, but if I go to file explorer the picture is there but it's a 0 byte file, not to mention the constant crashing.

I'm not even using it on my daily driver, but I'm seriously considering reverting back to 8.1, because every time i need to use the phone it simply fails or takes a lot of time and retries to get something done.

Edit: Oh, and i already went through 3 hard resets on this build. The last one I didn't even restored the backup and start anew. But as soon as I went to install my apps the issues came back haunting me.

It has gotten damn near unusable for me. Just on the fact that it takes forever to load anything and everything I try to do. It has gotten like that just in the last week. Hopefully the rumored build tomorrow will alleviate the issues for me.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I loved my 920, bur i didn't love the dust in the ffc, dust around the edge of the glass and the wonky lighting on the capacitive buttons.

CaptainABAB

I'll be stuck in a work conference during the MS event and there isn't a MS store within 30 minutes of where I'll be staying so I can check out
and quite possibly impulse buy
the new Lumia and other hardware.

I doubt any new Lumia's will be available tomorrow. But I expect to find out the date they will be.

hadareud

The Translator
I hope they release a new build to go with the event.

Because the last update has turned things to shit again and the build is getting worse on a daily basis for me.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, battery life is weird.

Most days, during the day, the battery life is fine and it lasts a whole day. Then, in the night it drains from 100% to 0 in a couple of hours.

Then, the other day when I went to the football where we destroyed Man Utd, it lasted 5 hours.

hadareud

The Translator
Yes, if you don't shut it down completely it will drain the battery in the background.

But sometimes it just drains for no apparent reason.

derFeef

I could not stand the last built, not to mention it was buggy with the Messaging apps for me. Hopefully the next build is a huge step forward regarding everything.

KageMaru

I literally just ate with one of the maps teammembers last night. We went to CMU together. He might made some changes to maps, but I don't think he gutted it. I don't claim to know much about the area, though. That being said, I don't think the team has anything to do with the collection of the underlying data, which one could probably argue that Satya 'gutted' the team. Seems a fair argument to be made

While I get the reasoning behind this kind of move, it's still kind of disappointing that MS didn't double down on building and collecting data as well. Hopefully this all works out in the end.

I hope they release a new build to go with the event.

Because the last update has turned things to shit again and the build is getting worse on a daily basis for me.

According to Gabe, they hope to have the new build sometime this week after the event.

MarkusRJR

Curious to see what MS has to offer. Moved to android for my phone, but I'm still kind of interested in the future of the platform.

Kind of curious if any of these rumors are true.

Top Bottom