• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

I just did a Factory reset on my Lumia 735. I got a clean wm10. Still works like shit. I'm done with this shitty system...

Fuck The resuming, crashing apps, not loading webpages in edge and slow performance :(

Klocker

I was just about to settle in and put this on my daily driver but now I think I will wait. Just as I will wait for the new dashboard on Xbox One. Another month until actual release can do wonders.

joshschw

I was just about to settle in and put this on my daily driver but now I think I will wait. Just as I will wait for the new dashboard on Xbox One. Another month until actual release can do wonders.

I am pessimistic about things generally, but I agree. Even WIn10 desktop was junk a month before it RTMed

Tablo

Well I got too cavalier throwing my 635 on the floor for lolz with another dude who also had one in front of shocked iPhone owners, and the screen finally shattered/cracked. luckily still usable and mostly bottom right corner.
good thing I only spent 40$ on this thing xD lesson learned don't be an idiot

Question is...get 640 next time it's on sale, or wait and see if the 550 will come soon (like within 30 day return period if I get a 640)...on ATT.

I should probably wait until the oct 6 announcements before buying anything, 635 should survive until then. hopefully.

KageMaru

I am pessimistic about things generally, but I agree. Even WIn10 desktop was junk a month before it RTMed

Was it as bad as windows 10 mobile? It's hard to believe this OS will be ready by the end of the year with how bad it's running now. My battery drains power faster than my car charger can charge my phone on this shit build. I feel like I'm always having my phone on the charger and I'm sure that's not good for battery life.

With this being their last chance at relevance in this market, they really need to get their shit together.

Was it as bad as windows 10 mobile? It's hard to believe this OS will be ready by the end of the year with how bad it's running now. My battery drains power faster than my car charger can charge my phone on this shit build. I feel like I'm always having my phone on the charger and I'm sure that's not good for battery life.

With this being their last chance at relevance in this market, they really need to get their shit together.

The desktop build was in a pretty bad shape before release, yeah.

Yeah it's fairly solid. Hasn't been updated in a while though afaik.

I use it. It's good, certainly the best podcast app on WP.

It's a bit crashy sometimes, but that may well be W10.

Thanks, that's good to know. I asked the devs if they'd do an universal app and if not, if it had anything do to with the sales of the WP version.

They said an universal app is not in the plans right now, but the WP community welcomed them with open arms, which is a good sign, I hope.

As for the updates, it's not an app that gets frequently updated on iOS or Android either. The last update on Android was on Aug 30, for example.

hankster

Well I got too cavalier throwing my 635 on the floor for lolz with another dude who also had one in front of shocked iPhone owners, and the screen finally shattered/cracked. luckily still usable and mostly bottom right corner.
good thing I only spent 40$ on this thing xD lesson learned don't be an idiot

You're lucky that it wasn't a 920. Could have done some serious damage to the floor.

Drug out my yella 920 out just to gaze upon it. Were it matte I'd still be gazing. Gonna charge it up and see what it updates to. Might pop the SIM card in for old times sake.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I've dropped my 830 twice now on pavement with only scuffs on the corners and the back popping. 830 is quite durable too.

joshschw

I know using it on a 1520 helps cover up issues it likely has, but your problems sound unusual. I've had two or three days on the latest build where my battery just tanked, and according to battery saver it was Edge. Otherwise I'd say battery usage is maybe 10-20% worse than 8.1. Obviously poor installs are part of the problem though.

Win10 desktop was a mess - sure was. Start menu not showing. Action Center - where did he go? Big big glitches and bugs were rampant. half the taskbar being cut off - big deal.

hankster

My 640 with #W10Mo went south on me late this week. Needed a working phone so I set it aside and went back to my 830 (now with Denim! Aah). So I'm working with the 640 today to try and get it back on its feet. Loading screens were appearing with everything I tried to do. Store won't open at all. Trying to do a backup before a full reset now, but that is taking too long for what it says it is backing up. The joys of beta (if that) software...

From the Denim'd 830:
http://1drv.ms/1M9qiom

KageMaru

I know using it on a 1520 helps cover up issues it likely has, but your problems sound unusual. I've had two or three days on the latest build where my battery just tanked, and according to battery saver it was Edge. Otherwise I'd say battery usage is maybe 10-20% worse than 8.1. Obviously poor installs are part of the problem though.

Win10 desktop was a mess - sure was. Start menu not showing. Action Center - where did he go? Big big glitches and bugs were rampant. half the taskbar being cut off - big deal.

I had about 60% power, hooked it up to the car charger and used the gps for a 20 minute drive. Phone was nearly dead once I got to the location and died minutes after unplugging it. Plugged it back into the car charger and ran into an endless loop of seeing the battery charging symbol, phone would turn on, and just from loading up the start screen (which was fairly unresponsive, along with any app I tried to launch) it would die again within a minute or two of me trying to even view my phone again.

I know the battery isn't that large in the Icon but my battery life shouldn't be this bad, should it? Between what you and brot said, it sounds like the desktop was a mess, so I guess there's some hope they'll pull this thing together by the time they need to launch it.

joshschw

I had about 60% power, hooked it up to the car charger and used the gps for a 20 minute drive. Phone was nearly dead once I got to the location and died minutes after unplugging it. Plugged it back into the car charger and ran into an endless loop of seeing the battery charging symbol, phone would turn on, and just from loading up the start screen (which was fairly unresponsive, along with any app I tried to launch) it would die again within a minute or two of me trying to even view my phone again.

I know the battery isn't that large in the Icon but my battery life shouldn't be this bad, should it? Between what you and brot said, it sounds like the desktop was a mess, so I guess there's some hope they'll pull this thing together by the time they need to launch it.

Certainly you're having out of the ordinary issues, but those issues are not uncommon, and the fact they happen frequently is an issue itself.

I didn't have big problems after just updating to latest build, but much went away after I hard reset.

The quirks of each individual install are definitely a problem.

Certainly you're having out of the ordinary issues, but those issues are not uncommon, and the fact they happen frequently is an issue itself.

I didn't have big problems after just updating to latest build, but much went away after I hard reset.

Yeah, MSFT still has quite a bit of work to do on improving the Windows update process, especially now that Windows is going to have updates every...3, 6, 12 months.

Klocker

i have my 640 sitting her on 8.1 and a 635 with w10m.... itching to throw it on the 640 and do a reset and hope for best but i use it for work.

so close to it in part because 635 with reset runs well but battery does drain faster and i don't use it a lot to see bugs rear up in daily use

but sooo close to doing it especially since I'm holding off on NXBE and want some new software to play with

somebody talk me into it

edit..
just read Gabe metioned a new internal build 559 is being used and maybe released to fast ring. will wait to see what tuesday brings

nillapuddin

Yikes to that design.

VRQKqVT.png
skjJLuA.jpg
tqCIQuY.jpg

whats so bad? simple enough, no frill, works for me.
to each his own.

ElNino

Does anyone here use PocketCasts? How is it on Windows Phone?

I have it on Android and iOS and absolutely love it.
I have it, but went back to using Podcast Lounge because the auto downloads rarely worked on Pocket Casts (where as they work perfectly on PL).

Automatically queuing up playlists for multiple episodes doesn't seem to work on PC; you can add them manually, but that is annoying.

I'll give it that the Now Playing screen is nicer than PL, but it has too many usability issues or missing/broken features for me to use it.

ty_hot

I tried the W10 dor Lumia 640 one month ago and it was so laggy and buggy that I can't even expect the W10 arriving for it in 2015. The performance was terrible, lot's of things working bad, horrible load times, DTV didn't work...

Milchjon

A nice solution for Google mail would be alright.

+Maps for shops etc
+Bing still kinda sucks over here and the current Google app is meh
+YouTube with all the features

hadareud

The Translator
Almost completely convinced that there will be no Google apps for W10, or at least no announcement tomorrow.

On the other hand, I somehow wouldn't be at all surprised that Tom Warren will use the rumour that he created himself to slag off Microsoft if it doesn't come true.

Top Bottom